The Student Room Group

The Tesco thread.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1300
Thanks guys, quite encouraging that I can organise the job to some extent to for my work / social life. I've gone ahead and applied for it, now I just hope I get in!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chugoku
Can anyone tell me how many weeks study leave (unpaid) i'm entitled to while working at Tesco? I'm pretty sure it's 4 weeks but I heard someone say it was two lots of 4 weeks so now i'm not sure.

After three months of service you can apply for unpaid study leave. It can last from 1 day to 2 weeks. Up to a further 2 weeks can be requested in exceptional circumstances.
The notice period for this is at least 4 weeks.

Source: Tesco Time For You booklet SR28
Reply 1302
Hi does anyone know where I can download the workshop books my manager told me I could find them online
Hi guys,
I've got an interview at Tesco next Tuesday, but I have really bright hair and I'm not sure whether that will affect my chances of a job there or not. I've tried looking on the internet but I can't find anything about it, does anyone know what their policy is please?
Desperately need help!
Original post by bethyboo101
Hi guys,
I've got an interview at Tesco next Tuesday, but I have really bright hair and I'm not sure whether that will affect my chances of a job there or not. I've tried looking on the internet but I can't find anything about it, does anyone know what their policy is please?
Desperately need help!

Probably not, they've taken people on with facial piercings.
Original post by bethyboo101
Hi guys,
Desperately need help!

Depends on the tesco store. I have blue hair and I was fed a load of bull**** about how that store had a separate policy regarding appearance. And was rejected.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've just applied for a job at Tesco and I was hoping you could answer a few questions.

1. I applied at a Tesco Metro, does anyone have experience with Metro's and how do they compare to the other types of stores?
2. I also applied to be in the Beers, Spirits and Wine section. Again anyone know what this would entail?
3. How long would i usually wait for a reply from them?
4. Any vital tips for the interview (if i get offered one)?
Original post by GDH341
I've just applied for a job at Tesco and I was hoping you could answer a few questions.

1. I applied at a Tesco Metro, does anyone have experience with Metro's and how do they compare to the other types of stores?
2. I also applied to be in the Beers, Spirits and Wine section. Again anyone know what this would entail?
3. How long would i usually wait for a reply from them?
4. Any vital tips for the interview (if i get offered one)?

1. Nope
2. That just involves stocking it up, getting the stuff out of the warehouse and putting it on the shop floor, making it look neat and tidy etc
3. A week max
4. Make sure you're clear
How long does a Right to Work check take guys?
Original post by TransMan
UPDATE FROM HEAD OFFICE.

Managers in the coming weeks will be announcing TESCO'S new recruitment policy which is to only hire over 18 year olds and all 16/17 yearolds will be fired.

Seems legit
Original post by No.666
After three months of service you can apply for unpaid study leave. It can last from 1 day to 2 weeks. Up to a further 2 weeks can be requested in exceptional circumstances.
The notice period for this is at least 4 weeks.

Source: Tesco Time For You booklet SR28

Is study leave something I'm entitled to? Or something I can only get in the right circumstances?

Asked for two weeks of study leave for writing my dissertation from my personnel manager but she said she could only give me two days off (a total of 8 hours) due to how full the holiday request book was.

Been told that the standard unpaid rules apply, so if I can find a colleague willing to cover a shift for me then I can take the day off unpaid. Only it's entirely down to me to find cover and it's not guaranteed at all :frown:
Original post by Lintu93
Is study leave something I'm entitled to? Or something I can only get in the right circumstances?

Asked for two weeks of study leave for writing my dissertation from my personnel manager but she said she could only give me two days off (a total of 8 hours) due to how full the holiday request book was.

Been told that the standard unpaid rules apply, so if I can find a colleague willing to cover a shift for me then I can take the day off unpaid. Only it's entirely down to me to find cover and it's not guaranteed at all :frown:

Yeah that would sound right to me. If they have staff off already then they're most likely struggling with the budget too. If you can get cover then I'm sure jt won't be a problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lintu93

Depends how much notice you've given really because if you've given her a couple of weeks I'd see their point but if you've given them adequate notice I'd take it to your union rep, or ask your personnel manager for the details of the area personnel manager and see what she says...
Hi does any one know how long it takes tesco to get back to you. The job ended on the 10th of feb so feel like I been waiting ages for a reply. Also do you think I've failed if they haven't got back to me yet. This waiting game is horrible I just want to know what's going on with my application, cheers
Original post by johnmuir
Yeah that would sound right to me. If they have staff off already then they're most likely struggling with the budget too. If you can get cover then I'm sure jt won't be a problem.

Original post by No.666
Depends how much notice you've given really because if you've given her a couple of weeks I'd see their point but if you've given them adequate notice I'd take it to your union rep, or ask your personnel manager for the details of the area personnel manager and see what she says...

Cheers guys! I gave almost two months notice but I can see why I haven't been able to get the time off since it's the end of the financial year and everyone's trying to use up all their holidays... I don't know any details of my union (or if I'm even in a union) but if I can't get any cover I might look into it.
Original post by Nicolla14
Hi does any one know how long it takes tesco to get back to you. The job ended on the 10th of feb so feel like I been waiting ages for a reply. Also do you think I've failed if they haven't got back to me yet. This waiting game is horrible I just want to know what's going on with my application, cheers

They may not contact you if you aren't getting an interview
Original post by angelfox
They may not contact you if you aren't getting an interview

Thanks, you would think they would of at least emailed or phone to say sorry but it's a no. It still states on my application in process,
How old do I have to be to work at Tesco? And what's the usual salary?
What do you do if you've lost your locker key?
Yo guys i've got an interview tomorrow morning at tesco. I had one a few months ago and it went awful i didn't prepare, thy asked me mostly questions that i have never experienced this will be my first job if i'm lucky

Quick Reply

Latest