The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Hey chaps, long time no speak! Thought I'd let some fellow film buffs know that I'm running a Christmas comp on my film blog, chance to some limited edition film goodies. Take a look if you fancy it! :h:

http://ohthatfilmblog.com/2014/12/14/christmas-competition-time/
Original post by aja89
Hey chaps, long time no speak! Thought I'd let some fellow film buffs know that I'm running a Christmas comp on my film blog, chance to some limited edition film goodies. Take a look if you fancy it! :h:

Think I can only get 7/25. Just not good enough.
Original post by aja89

Has anyone won yet? I'll have a go, if it's all still up for grabs.
What does everyone here think of the film Shutter Island? I was planning on giving it a watch, seeing as it's on Netflix and I haven't yet seen it.
Reply 9324
Original post by lustawny
What does everyone here think of the film Shutter Island? I was planning on giving it a watch, seeing as it's on Netflix and I haven't yet seen it.

It's not too bad. It's essentially a thought experiment, and it manages to hold the strains of a thought experiment's atmosphere for a while, but it has neither the story nor the depth of meditation in the end to be really memorable past the gimick of the big reveal.

One critic I think called it a B-movie with a big talent attached. If the 'big talent' in question here is Scorcese, then I'd say that's about right (neither Leo nor Ruffalo are too bad either, though. Ben Kingsley is good as Ben Kingsley).
Original post by ahq
It's not too bad. It's essentially a thought experiment, and it manages to hold the strains of a thought experiment's atmosphere for a while, but it has neither the story nor the depth of meditation in the end to be really memorable past the gimick of the big reveal.

One critic I think called it a B-movie with a big talent attached. If the 'big talent' in question here is Scorcese, then I'd say that's about right (neither Leo nor Ruffalo are too bad either, though. Ben Kingsley is good as Ben Kingsley).

Thanks very much for your insight. It looks pretty interesting, to say the least. I'll watch anything with Leo DiCaprio in, as he's my favourite actor. I didn't realise that it was based on a novel, though - I thought it was a stand-alone film.
Original post by Mackay
Check out Starred Up. Best British film I've seen in years.

Bringing to life a fairly old post, but yes, Starred Up is one of the 'realest' movies I've ever seen. Although I thought Jack O'Connell was ace in it, for me, Ben Mendelsohn sold it.

Looking forward to seeing Whiplash.
Original post by Iamyourfather
Bringing to life a fairly old post, but yes, Starred Up is one of the 'realest' movies I've ever seen. Although I thought Jack O'Connell was ace in it, for me, Ben Mendelsohn sold it.

Looking forward to seeing Whiplash.

Mendelsohn was great, yeah. Brilliant film all round.
So for a laugh, I watched Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones the other day. Wow. Predictable alongside being hilarious when it's not trying to be. I mean it made no sense for one thing!
It upsets me that 'horror' is near enough just found-footage gimmicks and that should not be the case!
I mean what do we think of the horror genre today? In terms of PA I just wonder why people still pay money to these directors to go and make more bad films!!!
Just another series they'll churn money out of till it is literally sucked dry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Speaking of horror films, what are your thoughts on the 2011 The Thing?

It's got nothing on John Carpenter's, but I was surprised when I read that people weren't impressed with it. I wasn't expecting much from a prequal made 30 years after, but I thought it was a pretty decent attempt.

Thought the ending where it merged with the beginning of the original was really effective as well.
Original post by Angry Spartan
Speaking of horror films, what are your thoughts on the 2011 The Thing?

It's got nothing on John Carpenter's, but I was surprised when I read that people weren't impressed with it. I wasn't expecting much from a prequal made 30 years after, but I thought it was a pretty decent attempt.

Thought the ending where it merged with the beginning of the original was really effective as well.

I saw it and thought it was ok at best. There was very little paranoia between the unmemorable characters and their dialogue was often dull, generic and forgettable. Lame script overall.
Anyone seen Kingsman: The Secret Service? One of the actors in that film actually comes from the same town as me.
Anyone seen Kingsman: The Secret Service? One of the actors in that film actually comes from the same town as me.

Who? No, it doesn't seem like my immediate go-to movie.
Original post by Iamyourfather
Who? No, it doesn't seem like my immediate go-to movie.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4874451/?ref_=rvi_nm
Sony and Marvel have signed a deal to let Spider-Man appear in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Yet another Spider-Man reboot will be released in 2017, looks like Andrew Garfield is out.
Original post by ukip72
Sony and Marvel have signed a deal to let Spider-Man appear in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Yet another Spider-Man reboot will be released in 2017, looks like Andrew Garfield is out.

That's a shame, I quite liked Andrew Garfield.
That's a shame, I quite liked Andrew Garfield.

Me too. Was looking forward to Amazing Spider-Man 3. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ukip72

Fortunately i don't think it will be another reboot in the sense that we would see another origins story, another Green Goblin etc.

I think Marvel will be smart enough to work in Spider-Man, most likely with the assumption that the audience (us) already know who he is.
Anyone else seen a recent Hungarian film called White God? Saw it at Arts Picturehouse in Cambridge a few days ago. Very dark subject, but good film all the same

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending