The Student Room Group

higher tier / foundation tier ?

Hi everyone,

I have a basic question do I have a choice which tier I could take in AQA's GCSE English and English Language final exam. I'm all towards higher tier. I gathered that the most one can get in foundation tier is just a Grade C. I am a mature student, doing just GCSE English. I'm attending an evening class in a local college for this. The teachers there have said they have entered everyone into foundation tier. Because apparently we are going a 2 yr course in 1yr. And also that they don't have the time prepare some for foundation and some for higher tier.

I have also asked my teacher about this, except for the same answer repeated repeated sevral times she didn't give me any extra information. To my horror I have discovered-just now- that the max one can get in the final foundation paper is a C. She said that in a round about way I just need to sit Foundation.
Can I ask for a Higher paper- just at the exam while collecting my paper? Or is it all finalised nad that only Foundation papers come on the day of exam?

My worry is howmuchever better I writr the most I could get is a C not even a B. I feel I'm being penalised.

Do I have a choice or right to choice or I don't have any? I have no problem understanding higher tier paper(I have bought a book and seen a few examples. it looks simple enough to me)

Any one know about this issue? please answer.

Thanks in advance.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
To be honest, i fear it would be too late to change it now. I believe there is a set date by which teachers have to enter you, and i assume that date has now passed. If anything, it would be best you talk to your teachers and your school exam officer(s).
Reply 2
its too late to change it now, but once you get that c you could ask to be sat for the higher tier if you are capable if it...
Reply 3
You CAN change tier we got told, but you have to pay to change and the later it is, the higher the charge
Reply 4
Original post by againsttheodds
Hi everyone,

I have a basic question do I have a choice which tier I could take in AQA's GCSE English and English Language final exam. I'm all towards higher tier. I gathered that the most one can get in foundation tier is just a Grade C. I am a mature student, doing just GCSE English. I'm attending an evening class in a local college for this. The teachers there have said they have entered everyone into foundation tier. Because apparently we are going a 2 yr course in 1yr. And also that they don't have the time prepare some for foundation and some for higher tier.

I have also asked my teacher about this, except for the same answer repeated repeated sevral times she didn't give me any extra information. To my horror I have discovered-just now- that the max one can get in the final foundation paper is a C. She said that in a round about way I just need to sit Foundation.
Can I ask for a Higher paper- just at the exam while collecting my paper? Or is it all finalised nad that only Foundation papers come on the day of exam?

My worry is howmuchever better I writr the most I could get is a C not even a B. I feel I'm being penalised.

Do I have a choice or right to choice or I don't have any? I have no problem understanding higher tier paper(I have bought a book and seen a few examples. it looks simple enough to me)

Any one know about this issue? please answer.

Thanks in advance.

On the plus side, the exam is only 40% of the GCSE, so if your controlled assessment is good you could easily get a B (theoretically even an A) whilst only taking the Foundation exam.

On the downside, it is expensive to swap tiers now. It gets no more expensive, but don't leave it until the exam date to ask as if the centre has only entered candidates for Foundation then they will not have any Higher tier papers.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
I thought you could change at any time, they would have both tiers surely, I know loads of people that change last minute, at the end of the day its your choice they shouldn't make you do any particular tier :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Original post by Jen1996
I thought you could change at any time, they would have both tiers surely,

No one does Foundation at my (grammar) school, and the school never receives any Foundation papers so it would not be easy to make a last minute change.

Original post by Jen1996
I know loads of people that change last minute, at the end of the day its your choice they shouldn't make you do any particular tier :s-smilie:

Your school may allow that, but it will cost them every time someone changes.
Reply 7
It seems a bit strange though, because everyone at my school gets entered for higher unless you have a special needs statement and you feel you really could not cope with higher
Reply 8
Original post by iJess
It seems a bit strange though, because everyone at my school gets entered for higher unless you have a special needs statement and you feel you really could not cope with higher

Special needs? Really? That's surprising and a little offensive. I've never done lower tier myself but I wouldn't put it down that much, a C is considered average. Schools should be supplied with both tiers, no matter the price.
Reply 9
Original post by Jen1996
Schools should be supplied with both tiers, no matter the price.

The school gets what it enters candidates for. In almost all circumstances, they should be able to identify who should be taking which tier by a couple of months before the exam. Changing tiers on the day smacks of incompetency by the school, there's no reason why the exam board should have to waste money on that.
Reply 10
Original post by Jen1996
Special needs? Really? That's surprising and a little offensive. I've never done lower tier myself but I wouldn't put it down that much, a C is considered average. Schools should be supplied with both tiers, no matter the price.

Yeah, nobody finds it offensive because most people are capable of higher, plus a C is easier to get in a higher paper
What a very ignorant reply stating only students with special needs take foundation exams. My neice achieved 5 A stars, 3 As, 1 B and 2 Cs and one of those were from a foundation paper! Be very careful what you say.

Latest