The Student Room Group

Film Reviews Thread

Scroll to see replies

Where are you in Spain? Are you a Brit?
the victory james
Ugh I don't agree.

Charlie Kaufman is the most overrated writer around, all his films replace substance with muddled narrative and characters. That isn't as revelatory as everyone seems to think.

Bah.

Some people have no taste for the unusual. :p:
Don't worry james will type proper reviews later but... this week i've seen

Over the hedge - 8/10,

The Lakehouse - 6/10

Fearless - 10/10 -WOW!

and going to see Aquamarine tommrow and Just my luck the day after, also pre booked my tickets for superman returns and DEAD MAN'S CHEST!

Yes i have now finished uni for the year and am abusing my cineworld card lol x
Ethereal
Some people have no taste for the unusual. :p:
Unusual is good...try some Bunuel or watch 'The Royal Tenenbaums' if you want that.

Not the tired pseudo-intellectual and meandering tat that Kaufman writes.

I really hate 'Being John Malkovich, 'Adaptation' was very dull and 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' is a bit better but again slow, dull and pretentious. If Jim Carrey wasn't such a legend it would be nigh on unwatchable.
Jim Carrey is a pillock :p:
the victory james

I really hate 'Being John Malkovich.

I didn't get it. A bit too headwanky and American for me.
Reply 386
Name of the Film: 'Four Brothers'

Rating out of 10: 6

John Singleton, the man behind the gritty, urban classic, ‘Boyz in the Hood’ hasn’t done himself justice this time. Although ‘Four Brothers’ conveys the hardships and harsh realities of four ‘off the rails’ adoptees, it can by no means rival the classic in terms of screenplay, acting or mise en scene. In short… easy to watch but even easier to forget.

When the foster mother of the four very disturbed Mercer brothers dies, they are reunited at her funeral in the city they grew up in; Detroit. Only when they begin to question the circumstances of their mother’s death do they start to uncover the vicious truth and hotheaded Bobby (Mark Wahlberg), family man Jeremiah (Andre Benjamin), pretty boy Angel (Tyrese Gibson), and troubled Jack (Garrett Hedlund) embark on a ruthless journey to find the people responsible. A journey that will push their kinship to its very limits.

This is definitely not the kind of film that’s likely to win any prestigious awards for its screenplay and almost certainly not for its acting, in fact far from it. However (and this is probably more likely to appeal to the lads out there) if you fancy a recipe of guns, violence, car chases and more guns and violence then this is certainly the flick for you!

In a nutshell- ‘Four Brothers’ is a film with more inconsistencies than Mark Wahlberg’s acting but definitely worth a watch with a few mates and a couple of cold beers!
Name of the Film: The omen

What you liked about the film: The best thing about the film was is was portrayed very well there were no major changes in it to disapoint people who also liked the orginal version, the acting in the film was very good and not over-acted in it what so ever, even the child acted his part as Damien very well for a young actor, there was no main part of the film I liked better than anything else as it was all very good throughout. I wouldn't really class it as very scary but a very freaky film its a more suspense thriller things happening when least expected.

The basic story line is:*spoilers* (pretty detailed but doesn't give the whole plot)

Spoiler

What you disliked about the film: I think its not that good for people who don't like gory deaths, that all I can say, it also gets off to a slow start for the first 10 minutes of the actual film but you do have to watch it closely if you do not know the actual story line which may prove annoying to some people, who don't really like films that you have to watch carefully to get the main plot of the film, also when "mysterious" things start happeneing but thats not a big dislike.

Rating out of 10: 7/10
Reply 388
herzog's woyzeck. a bit... odd, and... german to me. the premise of the film is an 18th century (i think) german soldier who becomes isolated from society, turns insane, and goes on a murderous rampage. reading the notes by herzog, i think he may be right in saying that there has never been a satisfactory english translation of the story, because a lot of the time it felt like there was some kind of powerful meaning, but that it was just beyond my reach (lol, i know, forgive the pretentious convoluted bull****). having said that, it's left me curious, and i'll probably have to watch it again, and herzog's commentary really sheds light on some of the interesting technical elements of the film, like, it's comprised of numerous single takes lasting around 4 minutes, and the camera is static, so there is a greater dependence on actors themselves shaping the space (...or some crap like that).

edit: yay 1st warning :biggrin:
Reply 389
Hey everyone, i've now updated the reviews. :smile: If you would like to write a review please fill out the form below, and if it is acceptable (as in it does not break any rules (swearing) and it is long enough to get a fair idea of the movie) then it will be added. :smile:

Name of the Film:

What you liked about the film:

What you disliked about the film:

Rating out of 10:
Reply 390
I just saw pirates of the carribean 2:biggrin:
well i might aswell use the new review thingy:smile:

Name of the Film:
pirates of the carribean 2
It was funny, had a wierd story, not bad action scenes

the way its half of a film, like matrix reloaded was,

Rating out of 10:

Reply 391
review added :smile:
Reply 392
Name of the Film: Superman Returns (2006, Brian Singer)

*NOTE: Almost entirely spoiler free, but may need comfirmation of this.

After 10 years, finally the Superman franchise has recieved the boost it so desperately needs. Three directors, meddling studios, and even a teaser poster back in 1998, all for nothing until now.

And what a film it is. From the first few musical chords of the movie - John Williams' iconic theme is present throughout, despite a change of composer - you know this is going to be a nostalgia trip that'll thrill you to the core. Everything from the titles to the Man of Steel himself ring true to Richard Donner's original vision, and that vision is a fantastic one.

The acting is fabulous, with Kevin Spacey's Lex Luthor worthy of a special mention for his menacing portrayal of the character, and Brandon Routh the perfect replacement for the late Chris Reeve, the former matching the mannerisms of the latter's two distinct characters perfectly, down to Clark Kent's bumbling mannerisms and halting speech. Perhaps the one weak link is Kate Bosworth's Lois Lane, who simply seems to be out-acted by everyone else on screen, despite doing a solid job.

Of course, good acting does not a good film make, and Bryan Singer's expert direction steers the movie brilliant from the small, human stories - Superman's on-off relationship with Lois Lane - to the grand scheme of things, with one scene involving the Man of Steel literally carrying a world on his shoulders. All woven together to form a grand yet infinitesimally detailed plot that is perfectly plausible within the Superman universe, and fantastically intruiging to us, the cinema-goers.

However, despite frequent examinations of the human side of Superman - they almost overwhelm the movie - there's no shortage of action sequences in the film. From Superman's first appearance - an adrenaline spiking plane rescue - to the tense final showdown, all fantastically realised with almost seamless special effects and a healthy dose of inventiveness, with the sense that you're up there yourself, soaring along with Supermen, faster than a speeding bullet. This time, it's impossible to not believe that a man can fly.

All this said, the film isn't without it's flaws. At over two and a half hours long, it tests even the most patient of movie-goers, and this also leads to a small sense of dissatisfaction after the slightly drawn-out ending; though not quite the same feeling left after a certain four-hour long director's cut of a movie involving rings.

Overall, I don't think I could recommend this movie more. It has the human side of Superman to appeal to the ladies, and thrilling action sequences to appeal to those of us with Y-chromosomes and an appetite for war. Superman has most certainly returned, and this time, he soars higher than ever.

Rating out of 10: 9
Reply 393
Great review! Added. :smile: Thanx :smile:
LPK
Great review! Added. :smile: Thanx :smile:

A couple of days ago i watched Batman begins, what a great film that was! I loved Bale as Batman and CAine as his butler. I thought it tied all the lose ends of the film up and was interesting to see how Batman became Batman i would definitely recommend it! A great cast as well apart from Katie Holmes who stank but i would still give it a 9.5 out of 10! Fantastic!!!

Watched Kill Bill 1 yesterday, i have to say i was disappointed, i thought the story was great,but there were too many fight scenes, i normally love these kind of films, but this was too much! It's impossible for 1 women to kill 80 men in one go then kill a master of martial arts as well no matter how determined she is. Too far fetched but still some of the storyline was great, like Lucy Liu's character and how she became who she was etc. Favourite quote 'lucky for her he was a paedophile!!' I would give it an 8 out of 10, the fight scene with the 80 men spoiled it for me unfortunately! Uma Thurman has weird toes!!
unfinished sympathy
A couple of days ago i watched Batman begins, what a great film that was! I loved Bale as Batman and CAine as his butler. I thought it tied all the lose ends of the film up and was interesting to see how Batman became Batman i would definitely recommend it! A great cast as well apart from Katie Holmes who stank but i would still give it a 9.5 out of 10! Fantastic!!!

Watched Kill Bill 1 yesterday, i have to say i was disappointed, i thought the story was great,but there were too many fight scenes, i normally love these kind of films, but this was too much! It's impossible for 1 women to kill 80 men in one go then kill a master of martial arts as well no matter how determined she is. Too far fetched but still some of the storyline was great, like Lucy Liu's character and how she became who she was etc. Favourite quote 'lucky for her he was a paedophile!!' I would give it an 8 out of 10, the fight scene with the 80 men spoiled it for me unfortunately! Uma Thurman has weird toes!!

hey everyone is noone watching any films anymore?
Reply 396
A review by lil_groovy_dude, who told me to post it because he requested a ban:

Name of Film – CRASH

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&cf=info&id=1808405115

What you liked about the film? – The first thing I have to comment on is that the film overall appealed to everyone! The acting was amazing and the actors actually portrayed all their emotions incredibly well such as fear etc. The story was one word, amazing! The film also did not bore you with only one main character but gave a variety, all the characters shown were different members of the LA community, the film showed how they had to cope with racism. The music suited each scene and deserves a mention!

What you disliked about the film? Absolutely nothing!

Rating out of 10: 10
Reply 397
A quick reminder:

For a review to be added there must only be one review in each post. Please try to fill out the review form so that the review is easier to read and is more spaced out. :smile:

Review form:

Name of the Film:

Rating out of 10:
Reply 398
i don't believe in 10 out of 10 rating. a movie cannot be perfect. it can be extremely good but there is always something that can be added or changed... which could make the movie better in the eyes of some people

though i agree, crash is an amazing piece
Reply 399
aluakz
i don't believe in 10 out of 10 rating. a movie cannot be perfect. it can be extremely good but there is always something that can be added or changed... which could make the movie better in the eyes of some people

though i agree, crash is an amazing piece

If you disagree with a review, you could aways write a review of the movie letting people know your views.

I agree with you. :smile: There is always something to make it better. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest