The Student Room Group

Tottenham Hotspur Society II

Scroll to see replies

Lol @ Pearson's post-match interview. I gather the penalty wasn't one, but the man just reeks of arrogance. Dyche should have had a penalty today at St. Mary's, yet in his post-match press conference he gave credit to Southampton and blamed missed chances for their loss.

Pearson is constantly on one - he's like the Mourinho of the relegation zone.
Original post by Mackay
Lol @ Pearson's post-match interview. I gather the penalty wasn't one, but the man just reeks of arrogance. Dyche should have had a penalty today at St. Mary's, yet in his post-match press conference he gave credit to Southampton and blamed missed chances for their loss.

The one differences are Mourinho is actually funny, doesn't fight crystal palace players and, most importantly, he wins

Posted from TSR Mobile
Watched the extended highlights this morning. My word, Chadli and Mason were off the pace. They don't offer the best of defensive cover anyway, and they were exposed for the majority.The former, in particular, had a really poor game I felt. Walker was poor again, too, but that assist for Kane's second (wickedly deflected) was a good bit of positive movement from him. I doubt we'll see him for England over the course of the two international games next week, though.

Let's hope Lloris is OK, too. It's been a bad week for goalkeepers with Forster and Foster ruled out for the rest of the season, so let's hope it's nothing too bad as he's probably the goalkeeper I most enjoy watching other than DDG.
Original post by Mackay

Firstly he's not - up to a point he's tended to be gracious in defeat, but this season we've been repeatedly screwed over by the refs, and you can hardly blame him for being fed up of what is either incompetence or corruption - we've not got a penalty since Man Utd and been denied obvious ones (like Kramaric being flattened at Man City well inside the box and getting a free-kick instead), while conceding penalties that even a 5 year old would know isn't one (Liverpool away springs to mind).

Besides, look up Dyches losing interviews last season - even when the ref was on his side watching the game, he'd still pin the blame on the ref.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
what is either incompetence or corruption

Lol.
Original post by Mackay
Lol.

Yeah, it's clearly just coincidence that we've got one contentious decision all season, meanwhile we've had players hacked down in the box and got nothing while a shoulder to shoulder incident results in a penalty, that we have had players sent off for a slightly mistimed tackle while opposing players have elbowed ours in the back of the head and only seen yellow. Refereeing standards are awful, but they're consistently awful against us and I'm not buying it being bad luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Spurs didn't get a single penalty during AVB's first season, even though there were several clear ones.

Leicester were always going to go down this season simply because they're not good enough. No one needs to pay off referees to make a certainty a certainty.
Original post by Angry Spartan
Spurs didn't get a single penalty during AVB's first season, even though there were several clear ones.

Leicester were always going to go down this season simply because they're not good enough. No one needs to pay off referees to make a certainty a certainty.

Well we weren't - come half time of Burnley back in October we were sat in the European slots: beyond that we lost our bottle, which is disappointing because we're more than good enough to stay up. When we go down it'll be our fault for respecting other teams too much and not playing our way, but straight off the bat I can think of 7 points that we would have had but for obvious penalties not being given and non penalties being given - and that's the difference between us being cut adrift and being right in the fight

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, it's clearly just coincidence that we've got one contentious decision all season, meanwhile we've had players hacked down in the box and got nothing while a shoulder to shoulder incident results in a penalty, that we have had players sent off for a slightly mistimed tackle while opposing players have elbowed ours in the back of the head and only seen yellow. Refereeing standards are awful, but they're consistently awful against us and I'm not buying it being bad luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, yeah, it is a coincidence.

You can't actually believe there's a conspiracy against Leicester? It just says more about the **** standard of refereeing throughout the country. Every team has been hard done by at some stage this season.
Original post by Mackay
Well, yeah, it is a coincidence.

You can't actually believe there's a conspiracy against Leicester? It just says more about the **** standard of refereeing throughout the country. Every team has been hard done by at some stage this season.

Every team has had a rub of the green as well - the referees have been consistently awful and always in favour of who we're playing - and I'm certain that it's not just bad luck on our part: that since the man utd game refs have felt the need to level it up given the soft first penalty.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyway, I'm guessing all you Spurs fans will be keeping a beady eye on the England game this Friday.

Harry Kane and Danny Rose are surely in line for their debuts, while Townsend and Walker can play some part too.

Walker has been below-par all season, but his assist at the weekend for Kane's second was indicative of Pochettino's style and philosophy. He was pushed high and used his explosive pace to ghost past Konchesky I think. I'd expect Clyne to get the nod over him, or even Chambers because Hodgson is quite loyal, but all four will surely feature across the two internationals.
Every team has had a rub of the green as well - the referees have been consistently awful and always in favour of who we're playing - and I'm certain that it's not just bad luck on our part: that since the man utd game refs have felt the need to level it up given the soft first penalty.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Meh Mourinho suggests the same for his team and he's seen as mad, yet Matic almost has his leg broken, he gets banned and nothing happens to Ashley Barnes?
With regard to Pearson's interview - I honestly believe every referee gives a decision in good faith. Whether Dean got the penalty right or not, he wanted to get it right. Hassling and discussions after that make no difference to a match's outcome. Why is there any incentive to discuss a decision after it happened? Red cards get overturned, goals don't. If a certain referee's standards nosedive, the referee is demoted. It happened to Andy D'Urso after he booked Barry Ferguson twice.
Original post by rockrunride
With regard to Pearson's interview - I honestly believe every referee gives a decision in good faith. Whether Dean got the penalty right or not, he wanted to get it right. Hassling and discussions after that make no difference to a match's outcome. Why is there any incentive to discuss a decision after it happened? Red cards get overturned, goals don't. If a certain referee's standards nosedive, the referee is demoted. It happened to Andy D'Urso after he booked Barry Ferguson twice.

As much as the penalty decision at Tottenham was contentious, the real howler of the day came via Swarbrick at the Etihad. I'll be very surprised to see him referee in the PL after the international break.
Kane did alright. :cool:
Original post by Angry Spartan
Kane did alright. :cool:

The most refreshing thing was how much it seemed to mean to him. He was ecstatic and I haven't seen emotion from an England scorer like that for a long time. Lambert, Sterling, Welbeck, Townsend's first goals didn't exude the same type of enthusiasm.

Consistency is key for Kane now, though. It's whether he can sustain this long-term (i.e. multiple seasons) or whether he becomes a new Kevin Phillips.
Original post by Mackay
The most refreshing thing was how much it seemed to mean to him. He was ecstatic and I haven't seen emotion from an England scorer like that for a long time. Lambert, Sterling, Welbeck, Townsend's first goals didn't exude the same type of enthusiasm.

Consistency is key for Kane now, though. It's whether he can sustain this long-term (i.e. multiple seasons) or whether he becomes a new Kevin Phillips.

That's exactly what worries me.

Best get him sold to Real Madrid for 100 million ASAP!

(so it can be wasted on another Spanish striker who's completely useless)
Original post by AdamCee
That's exactly what worries me.

Best get him sold to Real Madrid for 100 million ASAP!

(so it can be wasted on another Spanish striker who's completely useless)

Tonight will be a good test for him. Italy are an altogether different prospect than Lithuania at Wembley when we're already 3-0 up, so let's see. Italy are still depleted, of course, but even playing the Azzurri offers something altogether more challenging than a minnow at home in a meaningless qualifier.
Frustrating game to say the least. It's game like these, ones we really should be winning comfortably, that show our weakness in creativity. In recent years we've had a player that can create something out of nothing and win us a match, but we just completely lack that this season.
Another terrible performance and a second game in a row against bottom table opposition where we haven't scored. Poch has a lot of work to do next season if we're to stop dropping points in games that we should be winning with relative ease, because our season is over and it's not looking like we'll be in Europa next year (Not that Spurs managers seem to care. At least AVB wanted to get somewhere in the tournament). Spurs are desperate for a creative midfielder.

Quick Reply

Latest