The Student Room Group

The Tesco thread.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iJames55
Sunday is Time and a Half and Night premium is £1.47 I think. It's not as much as time and a half for sure.

yeah since then I've found that out haha, i don't work nights so just took a guess
Original post by MrMackyTv
Thanks! Just have to wait just under 2 years then... :no:

Until then my tip is to try and get any kind of experience you can put on a CV. Become a prefect, peer mentor whatever roles your school offers and/or try volunteering and/or join a club inside or outside school. Something that you can use to prove you are committed, reliable, self-motivated, dependable and other skills employers want :smile: It also gives you something to talk about in an interview (unlike most 16-18 year olds)
Until then my tip is to try and get any kind of experience you can put on a CV. Become a prefect, peer mentor whatever roles your school offers and/or try volunteering and/or join a club inside or outside school. Something that you can use to prove you are committed, reliable, self-motivated, dependable and other skills employers want :smile: It also gives you something to talk about in an interview (unlike most 16-18 year olds)

Oh ok, I might start working on my CV then. :biggrin:
I'm contracted to work on Sunday, but I'm wondering if I will get paid time and a half or just my normal salary?
Original post by Bboss111
I'm contracted to work on Sunday, but I'm wondering if I will get paid time and a half or just my normal salary?

You will get time and a half :smile: Enjoy.
Does anyone know what happens if we leave the company but still have holidays that we haven't used up? Do we get paid for any holidays we haven't taken or do we lose them?
Original post by Lintu93
Does anyone know what happens if we leave the company but still have holidays that we haven't used up? Do we get paid for any holidays we haven't taken or do we lose them?

You'll get paid for the holidays that you have earned, but have yet to take. You can find this on the bottom of your payslip.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As far as I'm aware the Sunday/Bank Holiday rate has went down to Time and a quarter for new employees.

I joined in August and people told me I was on time and a quarter, but I get time and a half, so think I may have been just before the cut off date. Unless it's still time and a half and everyone just made stuff up about time and a quarter haha.
Original post by Chrisruptor
As far as I'm aware the Sunday/Bank Holiday rate has went down to Time and a quarter for new employees.

I joined in August and people told me I was on time and a quarter, but I get time and a half, so think I may have been just before the cut off date. Unless it's still time and a half and everyone just made stuff up about time and a quarter haha.

Unless it's changed again it should still be time and a half! I joined in October 2014 :smile:
I know it's all calculated on the tills, but what happens if you give someone to much change or to little change?
I know it's all calculated on the tills, but what happens if you give someone to much change or to little change?

I work at an Express so not sure if it different at superstores or extra stores or other stores throughout the country but our manager comes round occasionally and does till counts. If the till is £5 over or below expected you have to fill out a short form with stuff like did you leave the till unattended or did you forget to put a scratch card through the till blah blah and that's it. They only go any further if it is a regular occurrence or if it is WAY under what it should be.

Mistakes happen.
I work at an Express so not sure if it different at superstores or extra stores or other stores throughout the country but our manager comes round occasionally and does till counts. If the till is £5 over or below expected you have to fill out a short form with stuff like did you leave the till unattended or did you forget to put a scratch card through the till blah blah and that's it. They only go any further if it is a regular occurrence or if it is WAY under what it should be.

Mistakes happen.

Thanks lol, I work in an Express store I was worried that I was going to get fired because they thought I stole it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Thanks lol, I work in an Express store I was worried that I was going to get fired because they thought I stole it.

I doubt it. Nobody is stupid enough to steal a pound or two. You could have dropped money without realising, gave too much change, a pound coin could have dropped into the 1p tray before till was counted leaving you a pound down, the till counter could be slightly out of sync. There are a million different reasons for being a couple of pounds down in a till count, most are not exactly correct. Don't worry about it!

(However don't ever think about stealing even a few pounds, you will be fired and they will prosecute you and it isn't worth it)
I started work at around April, just wondering if anyone knows when I will get paid? It's probably next month but just checking. (wud ask my manager but hes not in that much)
I started work at around April, just wondering if anyone knows when I will get paid? It's probably next month but just checking. (wud ask my manager but hes not in that much)

Tesco pay every 4 weeks on a Friday. The net pay day is 8th May.

All pay days can be viewed if you have signed up to OurTesco here: https://www.ourtesco.com/working-at-tesco/your-pay/ (however if you are not logged in the link will redirect you to the office handbook so log in and try the link again)
I've applied for a nights shift jobs in a tesco local to me, how long does it usually take before you hear back from them?

I really hope I get this job, I prefer to work nights than days!
I'm starting work soon at a Tesco Express. I've been told I'll sort out my Uniform then etc, as i'm in an express store will I be able to choose a polo shirt or will I have to wear a smart shirt?

I'm overweight (not super huge or anything) and i'm not comfortable with a tucked in buttoned up shirt, If i have to i'll wear it of course, I'm just hoping i'll be able to choose a polo shirt.
Original post by Solidito
I'm starting work soon at a Tesco Express. I've been told I'll sort out my Uniform then etc, as i'm in an express store will I be able to choose a polo shirt or will I have to wear a smart shirt?

I'm overweight (not super huge or anything) and i'm not comfortable with a tucked in buttoned up shirt, If i have to i'll wear it of course, I'm just hoping i'll be able to choose a polo shirt.

You can choose your uniform from polo shirts and smart shirts, you also pick smart or casual trousers and red or blue fleece I believe (could be more options). Also Tesco have recently implemented an online uniform ordering service if you ever need any extra uniform/unhappy with your uniform. (I work in an express too)

Hope this helps :smile:
You can choose your uniform from polo shirts and smart shirts, you also pick smart or casual trousers and red or blue fleece I believe (could be more options). Also Tesco have recently implemented an online uniform ordering service if you ever need any extra uniform/unhappy with your uniform. (I work in an express too)

Hope this helps :smile:

Ok thanks a lot! As you work in an express too, mind if I ask a couple of questions?

1. The official job title is Customer Assistant, as it's a small store, I assume my day to day roles will vary? I'm guessing i'll be moved to different jobs depending on what's needed such as checkout, stocking shelves etc?

2. What should I do with my phone/wallet? Should I leave it in my car? Can i keep it on me? Or is there usually somewhere safe to store it inside the building?

Thanks again!
Original post by Solidito
Ok thanks a lot! As you work in an express too, mind if I ask a couple of questions?

1. The official job title is Customer Assistant, as it's a small store, I assume my day to day roles will vary? I'm guessing i'll be moved to different jobs depending on what's needed such as checkout, stocking shelves etc?

2. What should I do with my phone/wallet? Should I leave it in my car? Can i keep it on me? Or is there usually somewhere safe to store it inside the building?

Thanks again!

No problem! I work in a very small store as well, the roles will vary a lot. You will usually either be working on the checkout or doing stock. If you ever doing stock and not sure what to do next just ask your shift leader, you should have an induction day but if not on the first day you will be working with somebody else who will help you learn what to do. Remember don't rush on the checkout when you first start. It can be daunting and difficult to remember everything but customers are understanding and it does get a lot easier! However they will teach you to do other things over time especially if you are working until close or are opening the shop there are other things you will learn to do.

Also there will be lockers or somewhere to put your phone and wallet (you might need a £1 coin to lock them though). You should not have your phone or wallet on you while working though especially not your wallet as you could easily sneak money into your wallet so don't forget to put that away.

Hope this helps, any more questions just ask :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending