The Student Room Group

OMG not another Rippetoes blog!

Scroll to see replies

Okay session tonight.

Squats:

120 x 5

Okay. Didn't feel much if any knee pain doing these tonight but tomorrow it might be quite bad. I will have to wait and see.

Bench press:

80 x 5
85 x 4
70 x 10

Actually lost a bit of strength here.

Chins:

bodyweight x 6/6

Supersetted these with hamstring stretches and mobility. Hamstring stretches are very painful for me and make me feel a bit sick, so maybe that's why I haven't been doing the third set of chins recently.

Then home.
Reply 1721
How come you seem quite injury prone recently? Not usual for you :tongue:
Meh session tonight. Back sore and a bit stiff. Knee still not that great.

Press:

62 x 6/6/6/6

Not too bad.

Deadlifts:

170 x 3

Only got 3. But then again from now on I'm only pulling with a flat back (as far as I can tell anyway).

Chins:

bodyweight x 6/6/5

Actually did all three sets tonight.

Abs:

3 x 8

Building up on these.

Some stretching and mobility then home.
Just a quick upper back session tonight after the physio.

Chins:

bodyweight x 9/7/6

Grip slipping on last two sets.

Seated cable rows:

whole stack 3 x 10

Really focusing on engaging the upper back as opposed to doing an actual "row" with the full body.

Then home.
Okay session this afternoon. Knee has been hurting and so has my mid back too. Possibly due to sitting all day with poor posture, possibly something else.

Squats:

120 x 5/5/5

Not bad at all. Nothing hurting.

Press:

63 x 6/6/6/3

Okay, apart from the last set.

Barbell rows:

90 x 5
80 x 6/6

First set a little too heavy, so went down a bit. 80 felt much better.

Some mobility and stretching, then home.
Press progressing nicely still.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay session tonight. Knee still hurts around the day or two after squatting, so maybe something doesn't like the loading and is becoming inflamed. Sort of like feel something in the inside of my thigh, too. Maybe it's originating from the hip. Had a sports massage on quads and hamstrings and didn't seem to be anything wrong there.

Squats:

122.5 x 5/5/5

Easier than last time to be honest.

Bench:

80 x 5
87.5 x 3
70 x 10

Nothing difficult here either.

Deadlifts:

150 x 5

Working on keeping tight and flat back (especially upper where I have problems). Was probably the hardest tonight.

Some mobility then home.
Nothing to complain about tonight. I'll how to see how my knee feels tomorrow, though.

Squats:

125 x 5/5/5

Fairly straightforward.

Press:

65 x 5/5/5

Maybe a little bit difficult.

Deadlifts:

155 x 5

Quite a bit easier than last time. Possibly because I narrowed my stance a little and used hook grip on all reps of my workset.

Wider grip pull ups:

bodyweight x 5/4/4

Need to work on these.

Some mobility then home.
Okay session tonight, despite back feeling quite funny. The scapula area seems to be quite bad.

Squats:

127.5 x 5/5/5

A bit harder. Bar positioning wasn't feeling great; perhaps due to scapula issues, I don't know.

Bench press:

80 x 5
90 x 3
72.5 x 10

Last rep of 90 was a bit slow but otherwise nothing too hard.

Barbell rows:

85 x 5/5/5

Not too bad at all.

A bit of mobility then home.
Good session tonight. Back still feeling funny, same place. Maybe it's just a lot of trigger points, not sure, or maybe it's something worse.

Squats:

130 x 5/5/5

Harder. Did these outside the rack, which takes away a little bit of confidence.

Press:

66 x 5/5/5

Not too bad.

Deadlifts.

160 x 5

Pretty good.

Chins:

bodyweight x 8/3/3

Meh. After first set just didn't have much in me.

Some mobility then home.
Nothing to complain about this afternoon.

Squats:

132.5 x 5/5/5

Better than last time.

Bench press:

80 x 5
92.5 x 3
75 x 10

Decent.

Barbell rows:

90 x 5/5/5

Okay.

Chins:

bodyweight x 8/5/4

Meh.

Some mobility then home.
Decent enough session this afternoon. Back feeling funny though. Between the shoulder blades, and left shoulder blade also feeling funny, right out the the side of the rib area too. Not sure what to make of it.

Squats:

135 x 5/5/5

A bit harder than last time.

Press:

67 x 5/5/5

Good.

Deadlifts:

165 x 5

Not too bad. Think I might have been rounding my back a little on the descent and not enough air, though.

Some quick mobility then home.
Not a bad session tonight.

Squats:

137.5 x 5/5/5

Harder than last time.

Bench press:

80 x 5
93.5 x 3
77.5 x 10

Harder.

Chins:

bodyweight x 6/6/5

Not sure what happened here...

Some mobility then home.
Objectively tonight wasn't bad, but it just didn't feel good, if you know what I mean. Never did much; still have to gain back my recovery ability.

Pause squats:

120 x 5

Not too bad. Just light squatting tonight.

Press:

68 x 5/5/5

Same as last time. Micro-loading seems to be working.

Deadlifts:

170 x 5

Not happy with the form on these. I'll go up next time but only by 2.5 kg and see how it feels.

Some stretching then home.
Your pressing is doing well and Deadlifts are alright.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay session. Been ill. Fatigue mainly. Little bit of joint ache and no appetite. Had this a few times this year already and it's really blunting my progress, so going to get it seen to. Back also feeling a bit funny, perhaps from not having done anything since last Friday.

Squats:

120 x 5/5/5

Easy.

Bench press:

80 x 5/5/5

Going to go back to 3 x 5 on the bench, micro-load and utilise a higher rep back-off set when required. Weight not bad.

Chins:

bodyweight x 5/5/5

Not sure what happened here. Fatigue mainly, I think, and grip too.

Some mobility then home.
Reply 1736
Original post by Smack
Okay session. Been ill. Fatigue mainly. Little bit of joint ache and no appetite. Had this a few times this year already and it's really blunting my progress, so going to get it seen to. Back also feeling a bit funny, perhaps from not having done anything since last Friday.

Squats:

120 x 5/5/5

Easy.

Bench press:

80 x 5/5/5

Going to go back to 3 x 5 on the bench, micro-load and utilise a higher rep back-off set when required. Weight not bad.

Chins:

bodyweight x 5/5/5

Not sure what happened here. Fatigue mainly, I think, and grip too.

Some mobility then home.

Why not have a deload week? You've been lifting heavy for a while now need to give your joints some time to rest from the heavy lifting. I have a deload week every 5th week and i find it really helps as i hardly every have aching joints.
Original post by a10
Why not have a deload week? You've been lifting heavy for a while now need to give your joints some time to rest from the heavy lifting. I have a deload week every 5th week and i find it really helps as i hardly every have aching joints.

I don't really see the benefit of having a de-load week unless I'm feeling over-trained, to be honest.
Reply 1738
Original post by Smack
I don't really see the benefit of having a de-load week unless I'm feeling over-trained, to be honest.

It's really important (the same way as warming up with stretches etc), if you continue to lift heavy for such long periods of time without actually deloading youre much more likely to visit snap city...and once in snap city it will never be the same again!
Another okay session, but back still feeling awkward. Building up again slowly to try and gain some work capacity too so that each workout doesn't destroy me.

Squats:

125 x 5/5/5

Not too bad.

Press:

62.5 x 5/5/5

Easier than I thought it was going to be given how the warm-ups felt.

Chins:

bodyweight x 3/3/3/3/3/3/3/3/3/3

Trying something different since three sets to failure clearly isn't working for me.

Then home.

Quick Reply

Latest