The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Minecraft27
So I am just over 2 months from my test and I am STILL doing stupid things.

Today I was driving with my dad in my car (with no dual controls), and I turned my head away for 3 seconds because I saw a car that was identical to my mum's car and I was wondering if it was her (it wasn't), and in that time, the ****ing ****-headed **** in front of me just stopped in the middle of the road. He wasn't turning, there was no queue of traffic, NOTHING. He literally just stopped. Almost as if he was trying to test me.

My dad then screamed WATCH IT WATCH IT and I had to HOOF the breaks. That would have soo been a dangerous on the test. And if my dad hadn't been there, I would have almost certainly crashed or at least shunted the back of him. Then I went on to miss FIVE, yes, FIVE!!!!! chances on a roundabout because cars were coming in and out very fast, and I just saw window after window pass because I was too nervous to move off. Another major. Great.

So in a 15-minute drive I managed to get a dangerous and a major.

2 months away is still plenty of time to get in loads of practice before your test, and, depending on how often you have lessons/ practice with your family 2 months can make a world of difference to your ability. I would try and get out in the car as often as possible with your dad between now and your test.

Also, don't beat yourself up too much, with regarding the gaps, when it's really busy its natural to feel nervous when you aren't driving all the time and you will miss gaps that more experienced drivers would take, but that's not what the examiner wants to see anyway, they just don't want you to miss really obvious gaps where you blatantly could have gone!

The car thing is just a learning curve, once when I was out with my dad in my car I was coming off a roundabout and sort of forgot I was in control of the car and for a second was distracted by the field nearby, because there were loads of people playing football and I was being nosey! I almost drove straight off the roundabout and up the curb, and if my dad hadn't yanked at the wheel I would have.

These things happen, but when you pass you will have learned from these mistakes and it will make you a better driver! :smile:
Original post by iamlynchy
really needed to vent my frustrations today! I'm gutted with myself! had my first test today and got four minors and one serious unfortunately! Don't really agree with the serious though, I was going through a set of traffic lights and as I passed the solid white line (back wheels) the lights turned red? I went through on my amber but my examiner is certain I ran through a red light. So so annoying! got another test booked in three weeks so fingers crossed!!

I'm sorry to hear you didn't pass, that does seem a little unlucky because some examiners might have let you off with that.

The thing I could suggest is easing off the gas before coming up to lights so you always have plenty of time to stop safely. :smile: good luck with your next test im sure you'll pass easily!
Original post by Minecraft27
I have managed to get into a terrible habit of COASTING.

I have for some reason lately, been putting the clutch down BEFORE breaking. Every time I think I will break, the clutch goes down. And sometimes I decide not to break. And therefore I totally coast for ages. Even on roundabouts.

I must break this coasting habit.

Hah. Since passing my test I have for some reason picked up this habit. I'm certain I never used to do this, but now whenever I break I automatically put both my feet down on the clutch and break. And you do feel less control when breaking, it's weird I don't even know how I started doing it!

I think you just have to retrain yoursekf to be in the habit of breaking a bit then clutch down. Everytime literally say in your head 'break first', and then eventually it would become habit again.
really needed to vent my frustrations today! I'm gutted with myself! had my first test today and got four minors and one serious unfortunately! Don't really agree with the serious though, I was going through a set of traffic lights and as I passed the solid white line (back wheels) the lights turned red? I went through on my amber but my examiner is certain I ran through a red light. So so annoying! got another test booked in three weeks so fingers crossed!!

I'm so sorry mate, that is very harsh! I'm sure you will pass next time! :smile::smile:
Original post by Beanss123
I'm sorry to hear you didn't pass, that does seem a little unlucky because some examiners might have let you off with that.

The thing I could suggest is easing off the gas before coming up to lights so you always have plenty of time to stop safely. :smile: good luck with your next test im sure you'll pass easily!

Thank you! yes I'll definitely be more careful being on a hill made it worse as well! Fingers crossed for next time!
Original post by AndrewRCFC97
I'm so sorry mate, that is very harsh! I'm sure you will pass next time! :smile::smile:

Definitely seems it! he wasn't in the best of moods just my luck I suppose ahaha and thanks very much! really hoping I do! got an amazing cancellation so sitting it this friday
That's great that you got one so soon, good luck!!!
Original post by Beanss123
That's great that you got one so soon, good luck!!!

It really was it's at 8:50 so I'll have to remind myself bus lanes are in operation but other than that hopefully there'll be no problems! and thank you very much! 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4228

You have to remember in your test you can't drive how you would just normally by yourself. It took me a little while to realise this too. I picked up some bad habits watching my friends drive the last few years from the passenger seat.

My instructor had to always remind me to not do stuff I would do if I was by myself. He also always told me to always take foot of gas when coming up to a traffic light so if I see it turn to amber I always have time to stop.

The examiner wants to see you are a safe driver - not one who is going to take that chance to pass an amber 1 second before it changes to red, before even having a licence.

Give them what they want to see, play it safe, every road, turning, light. When you pass then do things your way.

Good luck for your next test!
Great!
My driving test has been booked for next Friday afternoon. I haven't had a driving lesson in well over a year and a half...I know what you're all thinking...what the f... BUT I've got an Intensive course next week also. Starts Monday, and 5 hours daily, then the test the end hour. I've had over 30 lessons previous, and been out in the car with my parents a few times over the past week and they said considering I haven't driven in so long, I'm ok, I just need to watch my speed on roundabouts. Reading this thread has made me so nervous! Anyone taken an intensive course and if so how was it?

Sorry for the paragraph :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
thank you to everyone who wished me luck! very pleased to say I passed this morning with only 2 minors! reading this thread definitely helped with my confidence so good luck everyone else! you'll all do brilliantly

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's great news! Well done!!!
The same thing happened to me yesterday, it's mad how we can fail our tests because of bad drivers on the road, Its not exactly our fault they should let us off for that I think😕
Original post by Abbier97
The same thing happened to me yesterday, it's mad how we can fail our tests because of bad drivers on the road, Its not exactly our fault they should let us off for that I think������

If you meet a bad driver on your test, you must be able to react quickly and appropriately to the situation.

That's just like saying, I crashed my car and destroyed it, because someone else didn't signal at a roundabout, it's his fault etc. Whilst it is partly his fault, you should be able to react quick enough to the situation.
Failed first time today with 3 serious faults; clipped wing mirror while going through a width restriction, braked abruptly at the next width restriction and random cyclist appears from nowhere from behind a huge coach who was giving me way. Meh invested a lot of time, money and effort not going to give up anytime soon.
Original post by Saltedcaramel1
Failed first time today with 3 serious faults; clipped wing mirror while going through a width restriction, braked abruptly at the next width restriction and random cyclist appears from nowhere from behind a huge coach who was giving me way. Meh invested a lot of time, money and effort not going to give up anytime soon.

Do you usually have a problem in lessons with judging the width you have?
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
Do you usually have a problem in lessons with judging the width you have?

I've been through those width restrictions a million times during lesson and never have I had a problem...you see this is where my frustration lies. Nerves got the better of me yet again!
(edited 9 years ago)
Country roads is my next lesson.. oh boy!
thank you to everyone who wished me luck! very pleased to say I passed this morning with only 2 minors! reading this thread definitely helped with my confidence so good luck everyone else! you'll all do brilliantly

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm very pleased to hear that!! Enjoy! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending