The Student Room Group

Can an apprenticeship lead onto university? i need help :)

Im really stuck, i really dont know whether it is a better idea to do my A Levels or do an apprenticeship. I really want to do an apprenticeship but i also want to go to uni after. Can anyone help? Any ideas welcome :smile:

p.s i want to go to Aston University if that helps :p:
Reply 1
A-levels will be the quickest route into university. But if you want to do an apprenticeship, you wouldn't necessarily need to go to university...
Reply 2
hmm i can see your point cause that is what i was stuck on, but wouldnt a uni degree let you achieve higher in life, and i mean let you go higher up in the company, because in theory i want to become a management consultant.
It depends totally on your subject, A-Levels would definately be the quickest way though.
Why do you want to do an Apprenticeship over A-Levels?
Reply 4
I thought the whole point of an apprenticeship was that you learn how to do some sort of job and then do it... that is, some sort of induction process into the world of work. What would the point be in university after an apprenticeship? If you want to go to uni rather than going straight into employment, you'll need to do some kind of academic qualification beyond GCSE; I don't imagine it would be possible after an apprenticeship (but do correct me if I'm wrong).
Reply 5
To put it short, no.

University is alot of reading and alot of writing of essays etc. I doubt you'd be prepared for that sort of stuff after an apprenticeship.
nuodai
I thought the whole point of an apprenticeship was that you learn how to do some sort of job and then do it... that is, some sort of induction process into the world of work. What would the point be in university after an apprenticeship? If you want to go to uni rather than going straight into employment, you'll need to do some kind of academic qualification beyond GCSE; I don't imagine it would be possible after an apprenticeship (but do correct me if I'm wrong).

That is correct.

Apprenticeships (or all that I know of) employ BTEC National Certificates which are said to be equivalent to two A levels, or Diplomas which equal three. Therefore they are usually acceptable to some universities. But a more common route is:
BTEC National Certificate --> BTEC Higher National Certificate (ranked equal or above A levels, can't quite remember where on the NQF it was) --> University

You can expect to get somewhere between £20k and £40k, with the lower salary usually the starting salary for a large business. Realistically you will need a degree afterwards to progress onto a higher salary. The best option would be to study for a degree and even masters, part-time while working, after you have your BTEC.

Essentially you are asking if a BTEC can lead on to university, and the answer is yes. I'd strongly advise a search in the forums, since this question has been asked many times before. :smile:

HTH.
Reply 7
Does anyone know the case if you take a levels, then an apprentichip, whether you can go to uni after that?
Reply 8
If you were hoping to go directly to university, then taking an apprenticeship seems largely pointless. If you want to go straight in at management level, and if that happens to require a degree, then a-levels are probably the best option. However, to give you an idea of what is possible, a friend of mine did his apprenticeship in HGV mechanics about 7 years ago, which took him 2 years to complete, working at an international company. After completing this, and working there for several more years, the company paid for him to do a degree in business management. Im not sure exactly what the degree is, and i believe it is a distance learning course. I dont think it carries an equal level of value as a traditional degree, but within his field it fits its purpose.
Reply 9
My daughter is 17 doing A levels not sure she will acheve. Can she go to college for apprentice to be a nurse, then uni.
apprenticeships once complete is a levels idiots so yes you can go to uni after completing an apprenticeship but apprenticeships counts for more these days anyway than a uni qualification employers would rather employ some one with apprenticships over uni degrees anyway
While people are talking abouy apprentaship amd unis I want to be a chartered accountant and go to uni. I want to do mathematics and accounting. Ucas code ng41. But I want to do an apprentashup at the same time. Im currently doing good in me a,level. So is it,possible to do an apprentaship amd degree at the same time for the course I want to do. Also If this isnt possible could I get exemtions and how long would you say it willctake if I do. And before anyone asks I know you dont have to nessecerily go to uni to be a ca but I want to. Sorry for the spelling im currently outside getting pizze with me bro in a takeaway im writing this with one hand. I can text fast lol thanks if you can amwer me question
Reply 12
Depends what type of apprenticeship you do. I did a 4 year advanced in mechanical engineering. At the same time did an extra 3 years of college after the mandatory 2 year, got a HND L5 and now i'm studying part time at uni for a BEng. Through my own experience and talking to professionals who have taken this rather long route, it is superior in terms of employabilty and salary by a country mile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending