The Student Room Group

What GCSE subject should I take to be an engineer?

I need help chossing but I know that maths and physics are important for engineer, but are these option right;
1. Statistics
2. Physics
3. Chemistry
4. Biology
5. Graphics - Have to choose from Resiantant Material, Food and Textiles
6. Business
7. Economics
8. French GCSE - Have to take
9. English (language and literature 2 options)
[10. Maths
11. R.S
12.Science
reply soon plz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What do you think? And how many from that list?
Reply 2
ALL of them
As long as you have maths, English and at least double science then it really won't matter what subjects you take. It's your A-level choices that really count.
Yeah try and do GCSE's that allow you to continue mainly maths and physics at A-level, THOSE are important. Like Totally_Pissed said, all you really need is Maths, English and Science in GCSEs.
Reply 5
Economics, languages, and business wouldn't hurt either.
I took chemistry aswell as maths and physics. It may not be essential for the degree, but you may have to do subjects in engineering for which past knowledge of chemistry helps.
well, it really depends how you want to be an engineer, do you want a degree? or are you going to start after GCSE with some sort of pprentice scheme? If your planning on going to uni, as i am (I have just recieved an offer from cambridge for Engineering) then as has been mentioned, you just need maths and physics at A-level. For physics A-level, double science just will not cut it, you will need triple if you want to get a good grade. For the best unis, Further Maths is good too, and pretty much a requirement for camb, but is very hard. Even if you are aiming a bit lower though, be aware that i have no offers lower than AAA, so you are going to have to be good at your subjects, though im sure there are easier courses to get onto. The benefit of a degree is that although it may appear vocational, as with any maths based degree, you will have no problem getting a job in banking etc if you change your mind, also, if you do an Meng (4 years) as opposed to a Beng (3 years) you can very quickly become a chartered engineer which is where the big money is.

If you want to leave after GCSE, then i dont know so much, but anything that involves technical drawing is good but i didnt do anything like that, and get english/french, they just show a basic education, and still do all the separate sciences, and maths - stats is boring.

This post kinda got away from me, and i cant be bothered to spell check it, so just do your best

EDIT: in the time it took me to post this, a few people have offered their opinions, a lot seem to be BS, especially the one who was advising buisness....
media studies
Reply 9
Bill: the flower pot man
well, it really depends how you want to be an engineer, do you want a degree? or are you going to start after GCSE with some sort of pprentice scheme? If your planning on going to uni, as i am (I have just recieved an offer from cambridge for Engineering) then as has been mentioned, you just need maths and physics at A-level. For physics A-level, double science just will not cut it, you will need triple if you want to get a good grade. For the best unis, Further Maths is good too, and pretty much a requirement for camb, but is very hard. Even if you are aiming a bit lower though, be aware that i have no offers lower than AAA, so you are going to have to be good at your subjects, though im sure there are easier courses to get onto. The benefit of a degree is that although it may appear vocational, as with any maths based degree, you will have no problem getting a job in banking etc if you change your mind, also, if you do an Meng (4 years) as opposed to a Beng (3 years) you can very quickly become a chartered engineer which is where the big money is.

If you want to leave after GCSE, then i dont know so much, but anything that involves technical drawing is good but i didnt do anything like that, and get english/french, they just show a basic education, and still do all the separate sciences, and maths - stats is boring.

This post kinda got away from me, and i cant be bothered to spell check it, so just do your best

EDIT: in the time it took me to post this, a few people have offered their opinions, a lot seem to be BS, especially the one who was advising buisness....

I'd just like to say I did double science (it was the only one offered at my school) and got an A at AS level physics and i'm predicted an A*.
Also I got offers from very good universities (not Cambridge though obviously) with only AS further maths...Going back I would've picked it last year but still it's hardly a major setback.
And also I'd say the minimum you'd be able to get and still go to great universities is AAB tbh...though by the time you get to uni they probably would've upped the requirements.
Still you're asking about GCSE's and I'd say the ones you've picked are fine...Come back in a few years and ask about A levels.
Smeh
I'd just like to say I did double science (it was the only one offered at my school) and got an A at AS level physics and i'm predicted an A*.
Also I got offers from very good universities (not Cambridge though obviously) with only AS further maths...Going back I would've picked it last year but still it's hardly a major setback.
And also I'd say the minimum you'd be able to get and still go to great universities is AAB tbh...though by the time you get to uni they probably would've upped the requirements.
Still you're asking about GCSE's and I'd say the ones you've picked are fine...Come back in a few years and ask about A levels.

Fair enough, i didnt mean that it had to be done, but more that if you chose not to for whatever reason, you prob weren't cut out for it, im sure you would have chosen it if you could have. Also, could I ask what school does not offer triple science, but is predicting A*'s this year? i got 285/300 in AS Physics, and i still had a hard time getting my school to predict me an A*. As for FM, your right, is prob just oxbridge where you really have to do it if your school offers it, but doing lots of Mechanics certainly helps
Reply 11
Bill: the flower pot man
Fair enough, i didnt mean that it had to be done, but more that if you chose not to for whatever reason, you prob weren't cut out for it, im sure you would have chosen it if you could have. Also, could I ask what school does not offer triple science, but is predicting A*'s this year? i got 285/300 in AS Physics, and i still had a hard time getting my school to predict me an A*. As for FM, your right, is prob just oxbridge where you really have to do it if your school offers it, but doing lots of Mechanics certainly helps

I moved schools for A level. It's annoying though cause they offer it now :frown:.
Reply 12
English La.
English Lit
Maths
Additional Maths
Physics
Chemistry
Biology
French
Latin
Business
IT
product design
RS, Citizenship

These are my gcse's I'm taking and I would love to become an aerospace engineer. Don't let someone tell you a gcse choice like latin or business (for me) that I chose is BS because whoever said is simply wrong. A decision you make as to what subject you take at *GCSE* level will not be looked at in much detail by uni's (as long as you get your good grade in them)
Just work hard, make sure it's what you want to do as a career as life is too short to do otherwise.

P.S Don't forget Gcse's are not nearly as important as your a-levels and further education..I think as long as universities see you have done generally well in the gcse's they won't go into much detail and will be far more interested in a level grades

P.S (2) good luck lol : ...........p
Those options are good, all you need is maths english and science/s to a good standard
Reply 14
Maths english science at a B+ standard so you can take physics and maths A levels( also i would suggest taking furthermaths A level)
Reply 15
Original post by Bill: the flower pot man

hi my son have to choose subjects for GCSE. and he wana to be an engineer.
I just need to ask that is it compulsory to take english literature with english language or only last one is enough. and will he have to choose statistics with math or only one math gona be ok. because he is choosing othet subjects as triple science, computer technology , french, etc
Reply 16
I understand however in my school we are only capable on picking 4 subjects and one subordinate subject so which are the 4 most important?
Reply 17
Original post by rgrg
I understand however in my school we are only capable on picking 4 subjects and one subordinate subject so which are the 4 most important?
...............................................................................................................................................................................
Original post by river90
I need help chossing but I know that maths and physics are important for engineer, but are these option right;
1. Statistics
2. Physics
3. Chemistry
4. Biology
5. Graphics - Have to choose from Resiantant Material, Food and Textiles
6. Business
7. Economics
8. French GCSE - Have to take
9. English (language and literature 2 options)
[10. Maths
11. R.S
12.Science
reply soon plz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GCSE doesnt matter
You're forced to take a DT subject:eek:
Ouch...

Latest