The Student Room Group

Edexcel Drama and Theatre Unit 4

Scroll to see replies

Anyone struggling with 'Woyzeck' context? Made a great powerpoint/prezi thing on it (if I do say so myself), want me to link you to it? I'm well proud :biggrin:
Original post by smartd
hey sorry I'm doing white devil for section c but i am really stuck on section A/B how to you revise them any tips?

Basically, all I do is make sure I know my concept and I've done mind maps on it and written as to how it links in with the play on my script. As for section A I have a list of rehearsal techniques (which you can put in the script) and I just make sure I can talk about them. It's simple but it works for me. Hope that may have helped :smile:
I think Section B of this exam will bring my grade right down :frown:
Reply 303
Original post by Gabbsmaria
Anyone struggling with 'Woyzeck' context? Made a great powerpoint/prezi thing on it (if I do say so myself), want me to link you to it? I'm well proud :biggrin:

PLEASE! I'm struggling so much! That would be so helpful :smile:
Original post by Zo-e
Erm, it's a difficult one.
The devising part of A2 was the best part of the whole course, so you have that to look forward to. I'm really enjoying the Shakespeare part of A2 exam (and I normally hate Shakespeare thanks to English) but that's just because I have a good teacher. I'm not enjoying woyzeck at all, it's one of the hardest parts of the whole course, but I think that might be because of my other teacher. So again, it really depends.
Overall I'd say it okay. I preferred the jump from AS to A2 in Drama better than my other subjects :smile:

Totally agree with this. I find the Woyzeck section really challenging but I also agree that the jump was better than other subjects :smile:
Reply 305
what do edexcel mean when they say stage space in a question??

I want to cover all the basics

Original post by 1234girl567
Totally agree with this. I find the Woyzeck section really challenging but I also agree that the jump was better than other subjects :smile:
Reply 306
Original post by dmcque
what do edexcel mean when they say stage space in a question??

I want to cover all the basics

My teacher said that this means you still cover lighting, set, acting style but IN RELATION TO the stage space - what do they all do to the stage space? Its a confusing one!
Reply 307
Thank you.... Have you done many essay questions? Im scared for the structure we have been given a structure but i don't think it hits the mark scheme.

Do you have an recommendations?

Thanks again

Original post by Han24
My teacher said that this means you still cover lighting, set, acting style but IN RELATION TO the stage space - what do they all do to the stage space? Its a confusing one!
Reply 308
Original post by dmcque
Thank you.... Have you done many essay questions? Im scared for the structure we have been given a structure but i don't think it hits the mark scheme.

Do you have an recommendations?

Thanks again

A few - its more about knowing the exam - do you mean paragraph structures or essay structures?

No problem :smile:
Reply 309
Hey everyone, I'm also taking this exam in a couple of weeks and my teachers are completely letting me down, constantly contradicting themselves in what to put in each question and the structures!
So I just have a couple questions...
for section A, question C, do you need to include context in relation to rehearsal techniques?

and how are you structuring both section B and C, as in are you putting the same amount of context in both, and doing a point and then an immediate comparison to original conditions?

I got a B last year and almost full marks for devised this year, so I really don't want to let this exam bring me down! Thank you!
Original post by bayates
Hey everyone, I'm also taking this exam in a couple of weeks and my teachers are completely letting me down, constantly contradicting themselves in what to put in each question and the structures!
for section A, question C, do you need to include context in relation to rehearsal techniques?

and how are you structuring both section B and C, as in are you putting the same amount of context in both, and doing a point and then an immediate comparison to original conditions?

I got a B last year and almost full marks for devised this year, so I really don't want to let this exam bring me down! Thank you!

Hi there :smile:

For section A I have been told that, if it enhances the answer in any way, it is fine to include context. However overall context is ONLY necessary when writing sections B and C of the exam :smile:

On the second part - I can't remember what my teacher said about section B at the moment but can get back to you on that, but as for section C my teacher said it should be around 60% original performance conditions and 40% the performance you are looking at (I'm doing Othello).

So basically in Section B it is pretty much tailored to the quote you get in the question (if it is about 'modernising drama' then yeah, you will need to include more context) but for example if it about exploring the objectives of the characters then you would include a lot of context, but less as the question is different.

That's what I seem to have got from my teacher - we literally haven't been taught much at all and we're all pretty much floundering right now trying to get as much info as we can! And I'm in the same boat as you - got 57/60 in my coursework and practical put together but I want to study drama at uni so I really need this to work out for me :frown:

Sorry that wasn't really much help looking back on it now aha :/
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by georgiestruh
Hi guys, I am studying Woyzeck for A+B and Othello by Frantic Assembly for C. My biggest issue is section B, i have my concept and everything but structuring is so hard :frown: anyone found any good resources/ exemplar essays for section b? Even if its not Woyzeck, just for structure!!

Hi :smile:

Don't know if this is any good but here are two powerpoints that my class was shown!

Hope they work!!

I didn't really understand them but if you break them down they may help! :smile:
Reply 312
Original post by bayates

The A section doesn't require context so I wouldn't bother as it will waste time and doesn't get you extra marks!

Context is most important in section C as it needs to be totally relevant!
Reply 313
Hello everyone, I presume we are all doing this exam on 15 June? Anyone else struggling a bit - doesnt the whole thing feel a bit pointless? Sec A seems okay, its basically knowing rehursal techs, Sec B - is everyone worried about their concept, and have you written it detailed in your Lysistrata books? Sec C I dont have a clue, teachers are useless! Any advice for Sec C?! p.s I hate A levels!
Reply 314
Original post by loisg21
Basically, all I do is make sure I know my concept and I've done mind maps on it and written as to how it links in with the play on my script. As for section A I have a list of rehearsal techniques (which you can put in the script) and I just make sure I can talk about them. It's simple but it works for me. Hope that may have helped :smile:

thank you i shall try it
Reply 315
Original post by Gabbsmaria

not sure if you have but could you link your prezi i am doing woyzeck and really struggling
Reply 316
Original post by aliceiona_xx
Hi there :smile:

For section A I have been told that, if it enhances the answer in any way, it is fine to include context. However overall context is ONLY necessary when writing sections B and C of the exam :smile:

On the second part - I can't remember what my teacher said about section B at the moment but can get back to you on that, but as for section C my teacher said it should be around 60% original performance conditions and 40% the performance you are looking at (I'm doing Othello).

So basically in Section B it is pretty much tailored to the quote you get in the question (if it is about 'modernising drama' then yeah, you will need to include more context) but for example if it about exploring the objectives of the characters then you would include a lot of context, but less as the question is different.

That's what I seem to have got from my teacher - we literally haven't been taught much at all and we're all pretty much floundering right now trying to get as much info as we can! And I'm in the same boat as you - got 57/60 in my coursework and practical put together but I want to study drama at uni so I really need this to work out for me :frown:

Sorry that wasn't really much help looking back on it now aha :/

No that was really helpful! Thank you! This exam is ridiculous, I feel like there's so much to do in such a short space of time!
Reply 317
As a director, outline and justify your approach toa production of the play with particular reference to one key element of its original performance context

could any one help me with this for Woyzeck?
Glad there's a thread going for this! I'm doing Lysistrata for Sections A & B, and then Shakespeare for Section C.

I'll be completely honest with you, I hate this exam, it's an absolute pain in the backside to write and to get a perfectly coherent response from me is liking trying to have dinner with the Queen- possible but not going to happen.

At this current minute, I am annotating my Lysistrata script like there's no tomorrow!
I am also doing my Section C on Propellor's condensed version of 'The Comedy of Errors' titled 'Pocket Comedy'.

I have my concept for Section B (To cut a long story short, it's based on the NHS pay strike of 2014) and have all me rehearsal techniques.

How's everyone doing marks wise at the minute! On the Media Studies chat I was involved in, I was working out how many marks people needed in the final unit to get the overall grade- I'm quite good in this respect. If anyone would like me to work out how many UMS you are on at the minute and are desperate to know how many marks you need to get that all important grade (whether it's a C, B, A or A*), let me know! :-)

In Units 1 to 3, I managed to get some decent results.

Unit 1 - 36/60 (48/80 - C Grade)
Unit 2 - 68/80 (101/120 - A Grade)
Unit 3 - 43/60 (57/80 - B Grade)

At the minute, I am currently on 207/400 (A Low D Grade overall), in the exam I need to get the following:

Unit 4:
22/80 (U Grade) - C
49/80 (Grade) - B
75-76/80 (Grade) - A
Hello

Was wondering if anyone would be able to help with what the requirements are for the 1000 words notes for section c...is there any specific rules apart from the word count e.g. no full sentences? And do you have to put your name candidate number etc on it?

Thanks, Catherine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending