The Student Room Group

TSR Physics Society

Scroll to see replies

F1 fanatic
The point is that people at Uni know what they are doing. They have been teaching it for decades in more or less the same form

Hmm - my experience generally and that of many of my students over the last twenty years who have done Physics degrees is that the standard of teaching at uni is pretty low. Few seem to be trained in HOW to teach. They simply transfer their notes to you. Of course, for most, research is what they are appointed to do. Lecturing is a necessary evil.

Of course, there are exceptions , and most universities now require their lecturers to be trained in presentation techniques. Nevertheless the overall quality remains poor. I'd say about half my lecturers were completely hopeless at Cambridge. It was simpler to just buy their book.

Its simply not good enough to know your subject. You have to know how to deliver it too.
Reply 201
teachercol
Hmm - my experience generally and that of many of my students over the last twenty years who have done Physics degrees is that the standard of teaching at uni is pretty low. Few seem to be trained in HOW to teach. They simply transfer their notes to you. Of course, for most, research is what they are appointed to do. Lecturing is a necessary evil.

Of course, there are exceptions , and most universities now require their lecturers to be trained in presentation techniques. Nevertheless the overall quality remains poor. I'd say about half my lecturers were completely hopeless at Cambridge. It was simpler to just buy their book.

Its simply not good enough to know your subject. You have to know how to deliver it too.

In my experience, it's a 50-50 split. Half love it (and one or two will even chat happily to you in labs and so on), the other half just write/speak their notes and expect you to copy.

However, when I started, it was emphasised that bad technique doesn't mean the lecturer isn't any good. And I must admit that I've learnt just as well, if not better from some of the note-transfers than the "lets blow up the lecture theatre!" type.
teachercol

Good point, though I was not actually referring so much to the teaching itself and the lecturing. I was thinking more of the higher level structuring of the course. The way the course is integrated into different topics and linked up etc. The person who actually teaches the course varies annually almost, but the basic structure has been pretty constant and perfected for the last 30 years or so.

I think at Uni it is important to go with the mindset of being required to learn independently, as well as from lecture notes anyway. Even the good lecturers cannot cover everything you need to know so there is always the need for independent learning. Sometimes though, as you say, it is more necessary than others (my EM lecturer this year for example was shocking).
Reply 203
I've read over some of the things that you've been saying and I agree. Maths is like building a house, you have to start with foundations(GCSEs), then you have to build up your walls(AS Levels), then build yourself a roof(A2), then furnish the insides of the house(University).

I'd like to go to University to study physics, but I know that I need to build myself up to it first :smile:
Reply 204
Thanks for adding me :smile:.
Hellloo...can i join too please? :smile::smile::smile:
Done my A Levels hopefully I will be doing MPhys at uni, (still think im mad, maad, maaad, maaaad...)
Edit: Sorry, Sent a request to join now.
does this soc. also include astronomy/cosmology things?
alias25
Done my A Levels hopefully I will be doing MPhys at uni, (still think im mad, maad, maaad, maaaad...)

It's not mad, its a eally good degree. I'm doing Mphys at the moment and I've enjoyed it so far :smile:. And yes, astonomers and cosmologists comeunder the banner of physicists :biggrin:
Reply 208
.S.O.S.

Nah you're not mad, just welsh :wink: :p:

But honestly Im starting to think I was slightly mad to apply to do physics (well natsci but I'll end up doing physics) at uni....
rpotter
Nah you're not mad, just welsh :wink: :p:

But honestly Im starting to think I was slightly mad to apply to do physics (well natsci but I'll end up doing physics) at uni....

It's a lot better once you get there. I was uncertain too before I started, thought it would be really hard and wasn't sure I would enjoy it. It is hard now but I wouldn't do a different degree :smile:
Reply 210
F1 fanatic
It's a lot better once you get there. I was uncertain too before I started, thought it would be really hard and wasn't sure I would enjoy it. It is hard now but I wouldn't do a different degree :smile:

Its mainly the practical element that worries me, I mean at school (without wanting to be arrogant) I would say that I'm pretty good at practicals, but that's only because they are A-level piss easy measure the period of this pendulum type experiments and Im confident with them. However when Im not confident with them, as I was when we first did things such as reflux reactions in chemistry I just screw them up....

Oh well, guess I'll get used to it once I get there :smile:
rpotter
measure the period of this pendulum type experiments and Im confident with them
Then at least you'll like one of the first 4 hour physics practicals in NatSci :sleep:
rpotter
Its mainly the practical element that worries me, I mean at school (without wanting to be arrogant) I would say that I'm pretty good at practicals, but that's only because they are A-level piss easy measure the period of this pendulum type experiments and Im confident with them. However when Im not confident with them, as I was when we first did things such as reflux reactions in chemistry I just screw them up....

HAHA :frown: I'm awful at pracs, I know they're easy but for some reason i make stupid little silly mistakes end up getting really frustrated.
(but most of my chemistry pracs where ok) so i've thought a lot of times maybe i'll change the degree to 3 years, theoretical and computational physics.
Reply 213
I hate practicals.Theory is so much more interesting. I don't know how people stand practicals.
Reply 214
Supermerp
Then at least you'll like one of the first 4 hour physics practicals in NatSci :sleep:

Oh
Dear
God

*runs and hides*
rpotter

Its no big deal. In my experience nobody likes practicals, but they are not as bad as they sound. There is normally a crib sheet of some description to follow and there are usually people on hand to provide assistance. That is true whatever uni you go to. Most practicals are also done in pairs, which helps (again this is common in most unis I believe).

Don't worry, it isn't like they expect you to do a 4 day practical completely independently on cutting edge research. It's boring and stressful, but doable :smile:
Anyone in this soc. doing physics at uni?
Reply 217
Anyone in this soc. doing physics at uni?

Well I believe F1 fanatic, Princess Ana, AlphaNumeric and teachercol are some members who are doing physics at University.
:lol

It's a few years since I "did Physics at university". I'm Head of Physics in a Sixth Form College.
Reply 219
F1 fanatic
Its no big deal. In my experience nobody likes practicals, but they are not as bad as they sound. There is normally a crib sheet of some description to follow and there are usually people on hand to provide assistance. That is true whatever uni you go to. Most practicals are also done in pairs, which helps (again this is common in most unis I believe).

Don't worry, it isn't like they expect you to do a 4 day practical completely independently on cutting edge research. It's boring and stressful, but doable :smile:

Ah cool, I would much prefer to be doing practicals in a pair, makes it more sociable.

teachercol
:lol

It's a few years since I "did Physics at university". I'm Head of Physics in a Sixth Form College.

Its suprising how many people, despite your name, dont realise you are in fact a teacher :p:

Quick Reply

Latest