The Student Room Group

Tottenham Hotspur Society II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Angry Spartan
it's not looking like we'll be in Europa next year (Not that Spurs managers seem to care. At least AVB wanted to get somewhere in the tournament).

You make that sound like it's a bad thing.
Original post by sr90
You make that sound like it's a bad thing.

Spurs have a big and good enough squad to get far in the Europa cup without it having any measurable negative impact on their season. I want to see Spurs win cups. It's not as if going for a Europa cup win is going to stop us getting Champions League football. :dry:
Spurs have a big and good enough squad to get far in the Europa cup without it having any measurable negative impact on their season. I want to see Spurs win cups. It's not as if going for a Europa cup win is going to stop us getting Champions League football. :dry:

I think the Europa league does have an impact on our season, I can't remember the exact stat but I think we've lost most of our games on the Sunday after Europa league? Also the one year we weren't in the Europa league (when we finished about 8th in redknapps first season) was the year we finished 4th

Posted from TSR Mobile

Europa League has a negative impact on virtually every club that enters it. Let's take a look at the Spurs results following EL games.

Lost to WBA at home
Lost to Newcastle at home
Lost to Stoke at home
Scraped a draw they didn't deserve with West Ham at home
Lost the League Cup final

There's no shame in losing to Chelsea in a cup final, but the other 4? Even 2 wins from that lot would put them only 1pt behind City/2 behind United.
We finished fourth in the 2011-12 season and, whilst we didn't get out of the group stages, between September and December of 2011 of our time in the EL we lost one game, drew one game, and won ten. I think it's fair to say we had a better team in that season compared to what we have now, but I don't think the quality gap of the the Spurs squad in 2011/12 and 2014/15 is substantial enough to me for the EL to break our season.
It's getting a bit of a joke now. That performance was shameful.
Oh when the Spurs go marching in... :wink:
Lol @ Chiriches and Paulinho being in your side. Mason and Bentaleb is too similar in the middle of the park and seems to have been discovered now, so you need alternatives. I don't rate Fazio still, and Dier's still raw, so your defence is woefully out of their depth challenging for the top five.

You need a busy summer shipping out the dross: Chiriches, Paulinho, Soldado etc.
Original post by Mackay
You need a busy summer shipping out the dross: Chiriches, Paulinho, Soldado etc.

That's most of the team. :tongue:

Lloris is probably going to go over the summer, so we're going to be in a bad situation next season if we don't spend wisely.
Original post by Mackay
Lol @ Chiriches and Paulinho being in your side. Mason and Bentaleb is too similar in the middle of the park and seems to have been discovered now, so you need alternatives. I don't rate Fazio still, and Dier's still raw, so your defence is woefully out of their depth challenging for the top five.

They need new players in pretty much every position.
I'm baffled by the team selection of Pochettino in all honesty.

Think your team is done, hoping you guys are willing to sell Eriksen personally.
Eriksen is far too good for Spurs and should be in the Champions League. I've read a lot of people say Spurs must be playing like this to avoid qualifying for the Europa, but even without that added cup I still don't think we're good enough to get fourth place. We're on the downwards spiral that AVB said Arsenal were on.
Reply 4572
I doubt you'll let Eriksen leave unless its for big money. It would have to be another long drawn out saga probably.

With the TV deal coming in surely you'll have a few bob to buy players with?
Eriksen - like Chadli - has a propensity for going anonymous at varying times throughout a game, though. Don't get me wrong, he's a fantastic player, and that's probably a flaw which can be attributed to Spurs' lack of intensity and intent when they are on the pitch. The onus on Mason and Bentaleb is far, far too high as well. There needs to be some variation in the middle of the park.
Kane with two goals in a post-season friendly against Malaysia. Ending the season as he started it. Let's hope that continues at the U-21s Euros.
Original post by Mackay
Kane with two goals in a post-season friendly against Malaysia. Ending the season as he started it. Let's hope that continues at the U-21s Euros.

He deserves to be on the beach not selling shirts in Malaysia. Decent work mind.

Just seen we've signed Kevin Wimmer from Cologne.
Original post by rockrunride
He deserves to be on the beach not selling shirts in Malaysia. Decent work mind.

Just seen we've signed Kevin Wimmer from Cologne.

Spurs' obligatory unknown centre-back signing.
Original post by Mackay

If it wasn't for football manager I doubt I'd know a lot of the signings we make

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mackay

Ffs this is so true :lol:

Trippier, Wimmer, Fazio, Rose

That'll be an amazing question on an ''obscure footballers of the 2010s'' quiz in a few years time.

Quick Reply

Latest