The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Apologetics Society

Now that I'm back from my holidays I'm able to set this up, at last. As I said in the preliminary thread regarding the society, an 'apologist' is one who stands up to defend the Christian faith (intellectually) or who sets out to provide answers to objections, or just someone who sets out to have a friendly dialogue with someone not of the Christian faith.

It can mean many things, and theories of apologetics are diverse.

When I first posted the possibility of such a society people were (and hopefully still are) interested. So, on that note, I'll reitorate for all you lovely peoples.

How many Christians reading this would be interested in a society where they can find out more about their faith, find out about liasoning with other faiths, or indeed how they can defend their faith? How many would-be apologists reading this are interested in a society in which they can help each other in research, discussion or just in pointing out useful sources?

How many non-Christians reading this are interested in a society where you can come and ask questions and hopefully get a response? Or indeed, how many non-Christians (looking at members of the ath-soc here, in particular) would be interested in a society that they can formally debate?

If you are, I encourage you join. The socs page will allow you to do that - click on the 'socs' tab, then go down the page and next to our entry, click on 'Join this Soc'.

Let the dialogue, debate, discussion and reflection begin :rolleyes: My vision for this is that we are all equal - let us assume that you know no more than me, and I no more than you, and you no more than each other. This simple acknowledgement will prevent anyone from being burdened to post - let the society be an easy flowing forum of questions, encouragements, advice, source referrals and so on. Maybe along the way, we'll develop a sense of humour and the whole thing won't be too serious-looking...

Nathan :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
NathanL
Now that I'm back from my holidays I'm able to set this up, at last. As I said in the preliminary thread regarding the society, an 'apologist' is one who stands up to defend the Christian faith (intellectually) or who sets out to provide answers to objections, or just someone who sets out to have a friendly dialogue with someone not of the Christian faith.

It can mean many things, and theories of apologetics are diverse.

When I first posted the possibility of such a society people were (and hopefully still are) interested. So, on that note, I'll reitorate for all you lovely peoples.

How many Christians reading this would be interested in a society where they can find out more about their faith, find out about liasoning with other faiths, or indeed how they can defend their faith? How many would-be apologists reading this are interested in a society in which they can help each other in research, discussion or just in pointing out useful sources?

How many non-Christians reading this are interested in a society where you can come and ask questions and hopefully get a response? Or indeed, how many non-Christians (looking at members of the ath-soc here, in particular) would be interested in a society that they can formally debate?

If you are, I encourage you join.

[Hopefully, this will become an official society asap (at which point, this will be edited out) - when that happens, join the society through the societies page on TSR.]

Let the dialogue, debate, discussion and reflection begin :rolleyes: My vision for this is that we are all equal - let us assume that you know no more than me, and I no more than you, and you no more than each other. This simple acknowledgement will prevent anyone from being burdened to post - let the society be an easy flowing forum of questions, encouragements, advice, source referrals and so on. Maybe along the way, we'll develop a sense of humour and the whole thing won't be too serious-looking...

Nathan :smile:

Since there is not a provision for us to 'join' just yet - are we to raise questions on this thread to initiate debate?
Ok, here's a question:

If Christians are so good, how come you die?!?!?!?!?!????!!11
Reply 3
DanGrover
Ok, here's a question:

If Christians are so good, how come you die?!?!?!?!?!????!!11

Nobody has an immortal body, do they? :confused:
yawn
Nobody has an immortal body, do they? :confused:

Oh, don't you believe in Jesus?!?!???!
I think the serious answer is actually to do with the nature of the question. You are viewing death as an inherently bad thing, with the implication that if you're good enough, God will not put you through it. The reality is that, from the point of view of those that believe, death is a good thing because it finally brings them to God.
Reply 6
Dan, his fleshy body was raised, but he's in the new body in heaven, the transfiguration gave a glimpse of that.
yawn
Since there is not a provision for us to 'join' just yet - are we to raise questions on this thread to initiate debate?
All very well, but:

1. Why limit it to Christianity?
¦
v
2. Why not open it up to all religions, and the non-religious?
¦
v
3. Why not simply have a sub-forum for the debate and discussion of religion?
¦
v
4. ... Ah.

:p: That's not to say I oppose the idea.
Sorry guys, I thought you knew me better than that.
Reply 9
Agent Smith
All very well, but:

¦
v
¦
v
¦
v
4. ... Ah.

I reckon it'd be nice to have a sanctuary from all the harrumphing, copying and, almost certainly, pasting that goes on in the otherwise wonderful world of Religious D&D. It also might mean that Nathan doesn't have to repeat himself quite so much.
Reply 10
Agent Smith
All very well, but:

¦
v
¦
v
¦
v
4. ... Ah.

I believe Nathan has already defended that in another thread - before initiating this one.

I'll see if I can locate his post. If I can, I'll edit this one to include it. :smile:

edit: That was quick! Guided to it by the Holy Spirit, maybe. :wink:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=257636
Reply 11
DanGrover
Sorry guys, I thought you knew me better than that.

I know you quite well, Danny - and that's why I ignored your 'less than subtle' sarcasm. :smile:
yawn
I know you quite well, Danny - and that's why I ignored your 'less than subtle' sarcasm. :smile:

:wink: We all know TSR doesn't do subtle.
Reply 13
DanGrover
:wink: We all know TSR doesn't do subtle.

Haha. I'm not so sure - sometimes posts can be so subtle that they go right over our heads.

Then others are about as subtle as "a bucket of sh**" as our Aussie friends would say.
Sorry, you're right - i'd be more correct to say:

The internet doesn't do sarcasm. It's the plague of having so many people writing in such different styles.
Reply 15
It's good that this is going somewhere. I probably won't post much (it's philosophy of religion, rather than theology that I know a bit about) but I definitely would like to learn more.
Agent Smith

It's difficult to make a blanket case for all religions any broader than a) God exists and b) morality is ultimately significant to God
Reply 16
Hello, I'm a non-Christian who would be interested in this soc, primarily because I don't know much about Christianity, and what I don't know confuses me :smile:
Reply 17
bohemian
Hello, I'm a non-Christian who would be interested in this soc, primarily because I don't know much about Christianity, and what I don't know confuses me :smile:

That's great, welcome bohemian!

In asking us questions, we can also question what your faith's stance is on that matter.

It's a win-win situation. We teach you, you teach us. :smile:
Reply 18
People! The society is now listed and operational -- if you wish to join, click on the Socs tab (above), and then 'Join this Soc' next to our entry. Let the discussions, questions, advice giving, apologetical encouragements, general conversations and friendly dialogue begin! :rolleyes:
NathanL
People! The society is now listed and operational -- if you wish to join, click on the Socs tab (above), and then 'Join this Soc' next to our entry. Let the discussions, questions, advice giving, apologetical encouragements, general conversations and friendly dialogue begin! :rolleyes:

#groovy# :bumps:

Quick Reply