The Student Room Group

Economics help igcse

How to score an A* in igcse economics and which topics should I focus more ?
Original post by Husnain Ali
How to score an A* in igcse economics and which topics should I focus more ?

it is about practicing past papers, it also depends on the examination board. IGCE CIE is significantly more difficult (IMO) than IGCSE Edexcel. You should revise all topics in the syllabus regardless.
Reply 2
Original post by keynes24
it is about practicing past papers, it also depends on the examination board. IGCE CIE is significantly more difficult (IMO) than IGCSE Edexcel. You should revise all topics in the syllabus regardless.

Thank you for your kind response ..
In 8 and 10 mark question , how many points should one write ??
Thank you for your kind response ..
In 8 and 10 mark question , how many points should one write ??

you need to check the mark scheme for structure on how many points/analysis/evaluation
Reply 4
If gov tries to reduce inflation than Economy will face high unemployment level .. How ?
Can someone please explain it ..
If gov tries to reduce inflation than Economy will face high unemployment level .. How ?
Can someone please explain it ..

Okay so :smile: I didn't revise for my CIE exam yet but this is my best try:
Reducing inflation = reducing spending = reduced spending = firms cut back production as demand plummets = firms lose profit = they have to begin to make workers redundant as cost>revenue = high unemployment.

Hope I helped and feel free to ask more! Are you doing CIE Economics?
Reply 6
Original post by funkygirl14
Okay so :smile: I didn't revise for my CIE exam yet but this is my best try:
Reducing inflation = reducing spending = reduced spending = firms cut back production as demand plummets = firms lose profit = they have to begin to make workers redundant as

cost>revenue = high unemployment.

Hope I helped and feel free to ask more! Are you doing CIE Economics?

Thanks for the help !!
Yeah I'm going to appear for Cie economics ,wbu ?
Thanks for the help !!
Yeah I'm going to appear for Cie economics ,wbu ?

Same, on the 1st and 4th? What topics do you want to come up? :smile:
Reply 8
Same, on the 1st and 4th? What topics do you want to come up? :smile:

I've covered whole of my syllabus except gov aims ( section 5 )
Can you help me with demand side and supply side policies ? :frown:
I've covered whole of my syllabus except gov aims ( section 5 )
Can you help me with demand side and supply side policies ? :frown:

Sure, what do you need? :smile:
Sure, what do you need? :smile:

I've missed those lectures for fiscal policy , monetary policy and supply side policy
I've very less idea what they actually are .. So , any kind of notes would be appreciated ! Or any helpful YouTube videos if you know ??
I've missed those lectures for fiscal policy , monetary policy and supply side policy
I've very less idea what they actually are .. So , any kind of notes would be appreciated ! Or any helpful YouTube videos if you know ??

This is a good one i know of for fiscal: http://www.dineshbakshi.com/igcse-gcse-economics/role-of-government-in-an-economy/revision-notes/1314-fiscal-policy-and-how-it-works

Alright thank you !
Btw usually which questions you prefer to solve like from section 1 or what ?

I prefer section 1,2 ,4 and 6 ( international trade on safe side )
Alright thank you !
Btw usually which questions you prefer to solve like from section 1 or what ?

I prefer section 1,2 ,4 and 6 ( international trade on safe side )

I basically like all the Chapter 1-5 ahah :smile:) I hate chapter 8 slightly
I basically like all the Chapter 1-5 ahah :smile:) I hate chapter 8 slightly

Nice :smile:
I'm just left with gov aims and taxation ..
Taxation is easy to understand by self study but these fiscal policy etc are killing me
how gov uses monetary policy ( I.e money supply and interest rate ) to promote the achievement of its macro economics aim ?
how gov uses monetary policy ( I.e money supply and interest rate ) to promote the achievement of its macro economics aim ?

Easy :smile: Okay so expansionary monetary policy - increase money supply and decrease interest rate to promote spending. Spending = firms expand production to meet consumer demand = have to employ more workers in order to fulfill this = alleviating unemployment rate by gvt. as firms employ more.
Easy :smile: Okay so expansionary monetary policy - increase money supply and decrease interest rate to promote spending. Spending = firms expand production to meet consumer demand = have to employ more workers in order to fulfill this = alleviating unemployment rate by gvt. as firms employ more.

Easy for you not for me :frown:
Bro, I'm doing edexcel igcse. Basically expansionary monetary policy is changing money supply and interests to achieve macroeconomic objectives. If a country wants to increase employment, Eco growth , they will most likely use expansionary monetary policy where they reduce interest rates. This makes it cheaper to borrow so more consumers do so (also discourages people to save money in banks, as they get less back) , and with the money they spend on goods and services, this increase consumption leads to increase Aggregate Demand, and therefore economic growth. Also employment increases due to derived demand for labor (firms need more workers to cope with the increase in demand). However if a government wants to control inflation they wud probably use contractionary monetary policy- increasing interest rates meaning people are encouraged to save, and makes it more expensive to borrow, so Aggregate demand falls, and thus so does price levels. So it depends on what specific(s) macroeconomic objective the gov wants to achieve, because with each policy it is impossible to achieve them all.

Quick Reply