The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lilam691
Anyone had any experience of doing a test when during the school holidays? I've managed to book my 2nd test in for next Friday the 29th at 2:27pm :smile:

I have, it wasn't too bad, just a little extra traffic for me
I had a bad lesson.... urgh.....

I haven't had one for a very long time, and the first half of the lesson was flawless, but in the second half, I just seemed to make major mistakes every 5 minutes urgh.
I have just failed my test for the 5th time, and I decided to do automatic which makes it even more embarrassing,, it's hard getting to work an now I have to wait another month before I can try again 😡😢 everyone else around me drives why is it so hard for me too pass 🙈 makes me sad everyday,, without driving I feel so inadequate and depressed 🙍
Chin up lads, you'll get there
Original post by Megan2912
I have just failed my test for the 5th time, and I decided to do automatic which makes it even more embarrassing,, it's hard getting to work an now I have to wait another month before I can try again 😡😢 everyone else around me drives why is it so hard for me too pass 🙈 makes me sad everyday,, without driving I feel so inadequate and depressed 🙍

Dont go to a auto, you will regret that,, dont give up, you will pass, why settle for a auto, nothing wrong with failing but if you givr up in a manual you will never be able to drive one. Get back out there with a vengence, stop doubting and forget what anyone thinks, if you have to try 10 times then try ten times, buy a cancelation finder and keep at it! You can do it, no negativity, do it girl!
Thanku your post has made me feel a little better. I stopped a test this morning as I was an utter mess behind the wheel and I knew I'd failed anyway. 2nd attempt. 3rd time lucky or maybe not. I won't give up even tho I've bn sobbing my heart out all say xx
Failed for the third time with one major and a few minors - messed up the reverse around the corner (who even does this in real life?).

Honestly beginning to think some people aren't cut out for driving the same way others aren't cut out for sports or playing an instrument. What is the point? :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Phagocyte
Failed for the third time with one major and a few minors - messed up the reverse around the corner (who even does this in real life?).

Honestly beginning to think some people aren't cut out for driving the same way others aren't cut out for sports or playing an instrument. What is the point? :frown:

Don't give up!! Just because you haven't passed your test yet doesn't mean that you don't have good driving skills!
What exactly made you fail the reverse around the corner? You just need to practise more and you will get there. I know how you feel, I failed 3 times before I passed and really felt like I was never going to pass. Get some more practise in (try to get insured on a parents' car if you aren't already) and just experience all times of day/traffic so you get the best experience you can :smile:
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
Don't give up!! Just because you haven't passed your test yet doesn't mean that you don't have good driving skills!
What exactly made you fail the reverse around the corner? You just need to practise more and you will get there. I know how you feel, I failed 3 times before I passed and really felt like I was never going to pass. Get some more practise in (try to get insured on a parents' car if you aren't already) and just experience all times of day/traffic so you get the best experience you can :smile:

Thanks for replying :smile:

I don't live with or near my parents unfortunately.

I've had well over 80 hours of lessons now, at all hours of the day and evening, in all seasons, so I don't feel I'm lacking experience. I just messed it up :frown:
I passed my driving test today which I am delighted about!
Original post by Phagocyte
Thanks for replying :smile:

I don't live with or near my parents unfortunately.

I've had well over 80 hours of lessons now, at all hours of the day and evening, in all seasons, so I don't feel I'm lacking experience. I just messed it up :frown:

Oh I see, do you think there is a specific reason you are failing? Or did you fail the 3 tests for different reasons?
With the driving tests, sometimes it can just be luck of the route or the types of drivers around you.
Do you do mock tests with your instructor?

Original post by AndrewRCFC97
I passed my driving test today which I am delighted about!

Congrats :smile:
Failed today within ten minutes. Leaving a dual-carriageway A-road which is obviously 70, we join a separate bit of the road instead of continuing over a flyover. This separate bit of the road is 40; something I totally forgot about as I was so on-edge and nervous; continued along at 55 ish and there you go; an instant fail before I'd ever actually put the handbrake on.

I only got four other minor faults. I'm so unbelievably cross with myself; it's a road literally minutes from where I live, a road I know so well, and I failed instantly on it. And I have to wait until the start of July to re-take. The joy...
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
Oh I see, do you think there is a specific reason you are failing? Or did you fail the 3 tests for different reasons?
With the driving tests, sometimes it can just be luck of the route or the types of drivers around you.
Do you do mock tests with your instructor?

Different routes each time and failed for different reasons - always due to one major though (with a couple of minors).

Yep we've done mock tests before. The trouble is that it isn't one consistent problem that I've been messing up on that we can focus on in lessons. If I had got a turn in the road today instead of the reverse around the corner it would have probably been fine. Such a pointless manoeuvre.

Absolutely gutted, I feel completely humiliated yet again - I've never sucked at anything as much as I've sucked at driving.
Reply 4393
This is a joke! Failed my 3rd test today, the last time I got 4 minors, had the same guy I had on my last test this time I only got 2 minors but he failed me on parallel parking because I put it in 1st gear twice to straighten it up. I did everything safely, in the end I parked perfect and didn't touch the kerb. How is this fair?
Original post by rsk94
This is a joke! Failed my 3rd test today, the last time I got 4 minors, had the same guy I had on my last test this time I only got 2 minors but he failed me on parallel parking because I put it in 1st gear twice to straighten it up. I did everything safely, in the end I parked perfect and didn't touch the kerb. How is this fair?

That's really unfair :frown: In real life most drivers make adjustments like that, why that's a fail I have no idea. Very frustrating, but by the sounds of it you are definitely capable of passing your test, just need more luck on your side.

And to all those who say luck doesn't come into it, it does. If this guy had a 3 point turn he probably would've passed.
Original post by rsk94
he failed me on parallel parking because I put it in 1st gear twice to straighten it up. I did everything safely, in the end I parked perfect and didn't touch the kerb. How is this fair?
It's an exercise in control and you have to complete the manoeuvre within a reasonable amount of time. If you take minutes to complete and several shunts, you are lacking in control, or have poor spatial judgement, or both. If you are blocking the road in a busy town centre and traffic is queuing in both directions while waiting for you to finish, and you take several shunts, you're holding the traffic up for longer than necessary. You should be able to park the car on the first attempt. No-one is perfect, but if you do make an error, it should be correctable with the minimum of fuss and only one small forward movement should be necessary.

Original post by Twinpeaks
And to all those who say luck doesn't come into it, it does. If this guy had a 3 point turn he probably would've passed.
I've read all about this debate before. While the choice of manoeuvre you get is down to luck, you should be confident and skilled enough in all the manoeuvres to pass without having to rely on blind luck. Skill overcomes luck.

Besides, if anyone gets a 3 point turn, there's no guarantee of a pass as again this depends on your skill. If you take many minutes and umpteen shunts to complete, you'll fail on that too.
Original post by Advisor

I've read all about this debate before. While the choice of manoeuvre you get is down to luck, you should be confident and skilled enough in all the manoeuvres to pass without having to rely on blind luck. Skill overcomes luck.

Besides, if anyone gets a 3 point turn, there's no guarantee of a pass as again this depends on your skill. If you take many minutes and umpteen shunts to complete, you'll fail on that too.

That's too idealistic though. Yes in an ideal world we'd all be equally as perfect at all the manoeuvres. But believe it or not, most of us aren't. As inexperienced drivers, most of us have a weak point. Most of us have a manoeuvre which we dislike.
My driving instructor who was fantastic and had a brilliant pass rate said the majority of his students take their test whilst having a weak point in their manoeuvres.

Besides, in order for luck to not have any part at all in your test, you'd have to have absolutely NO weak points, which is probably true about 1-5% of learner drivers.

Luck does play a role. I'm sorry, but I'm being realistic. It does.
Yes skill can absolutely trump luck. But in the average case, luck trumps skill.
If luck isn't involved then an instructor would be able to say with certainty every person they take to do their test will pass, because their skill is at the level where luck has no part to play. But that's simply unrealistic.

I know that when I failed my test my first time, I could just as easily have passed. And I also know that when I passed second time around, I could easily have failed as well.
(edited 8 years ago)
Failed my test today because of road positioning whilst driving. For gods sake!!! So annoyed and upset at myself. Plus I can't take it again for another 4 weeks :frown:
Its not bad, road positioning is important and you need correct lane discipline, especially on country roads, take it as a positive!
Original post by rsk94

That is really strange! I did the worst parallel park I've ever done on my test but still passed. I straightened the car a few times and ended up literally 2cm from the kerb. I guess it just depends on the examiner, doesn't sound fair though. Sorry to hear he failed you for it :frown:

Original post by nyancats
Failed my test today because of road positioning whilst driving. For gods sake!!! So annoyed and upset at myself. Plus I can't take it again for another 4 weeks :frown:

From this, you will now be more aware of your positioning, it can be really helpful to notice and learn from it :smile: 4 weeks isn't too long so thats good!

Latest

Trending

Trending