The Student Room Group

Dance and Trance Music Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1060
On Dance Anthems last night Avaline did a live PA of Stay, now that is a top class tune! Above and Beyonds mix wasnt bad either, they never let me down those lads :biggrin:
Higgy
On Dance Anthems last night Avaline did a live PA of Stay, now that is a top class tune! Above and Beyonds mix wasnt bad either, they never let me down those lads :biggrin:

what did you think of Tara MacDonald's live PA?

I think she's got a great voice, but she really sounded like she didn't know the words and that she was making it up as she went along (to My My My at least)
the victory james
Any of you like dnb?

I went to Fabric on Friday, and saw Pendulum and London Elektricity. A great night even if I did get a nose bleed and my hair pulled during the Pendulum remix of Voodoo People.

I caught about half of Scratch Peverts' set as well, their mixing is insane.

I love the music at fabric but the people... not so much :frown: Which is a shame cos the night has so much potential for me! And aaah i feel really old when I say this but its too loud for me... *embarrassed* last time I went, my ears were still ringing really loudly at like 3 in the afternoon the next day!

I went about a month ago when pendulum were playing and I'm sorry but they thoroughly disappointed me. They were the last people on as usual, and everyone had been waiting for them the whole night. They had such an obnoxious attitude about them, kind of a 'yeah you've been waiting for us all night and here we are but we're not going to give you what you want'. They'd start off playing some of their big tracks like fasten your seatbelts and then just cut it halfway to something else like they were trying to wind us up! Thats the impression I got anyway.

I've heard they're a bit hit and miss though so maybe you caught them at a good time. Going to attempt turnmills for the first time on fri, cant wait :biggrin::biggrin:
mangomaz
I love the music at fabric but the people... not so much :frown: Which is a shame cos the night has so much potential for me! And aaah i feel really old when I say this but its too loud for me... *embarrassed* last time I went, my ears were still ringing really loudly at like 3 in the afternoon the next day!

I went about a month ago when pendulum were playing and I'm sorry but they thoroughly disappointed me. They were the last people on as usual, and everyone had been waiting for them the whole night. They had such an obnoxious attitude about them, kind of a 'yeah you've been waiting for us all night and here we are but we're not going to give you what you want'. They'd start off playing some of their big tracks like fasten your seatbelts and then just cut it halfway to something else like they were trying to wind us up! Thats the impression I got anyway.

I've heard they're a bit hit and miss though so maybe you caught them at a good time. Going to attempt turnmills for the first time on fri, cant wait :biggrin::biggrin:
My ears were ringing for the entire next day. Which was annoying but I'm kinda used to it now after having the same thing after a lot of gigs.

I've seen Pendulum before. When they supported Prodigy last December they weren't amazing, and they seemed very quiet (I think most acts would after Prodge). The people at Fabric can be dodgy, but then again there's loads of them so there is always gonna be a few bad apples. A female friend that went with me got a lot of men trying it on with her, one or two going way too far. I got trouble during Pendulum's set....but overall a great night. The highlight being the Pendulum remix of 'Voodoo People' (they played these samples of 'Killing In The Name' by Rage Against the Machine during it - that was quality).
Reply 1064
dnb raves are always going to be moody, it comes with the music. fabric is one of the better raves/venues.............

hey, does anyone know that new song thats coming out that has Chicanes offshore in the backround but has a womans voice being sung over the top.

I heard it in spain a lot but forgot about it till I heard it on the radio the other night. love it. anyone know what its called?
Reply 1066
Would it be a lot to ask for the name of this 'society' to be changed? It looks stupid with Dance and Trance; as Trance is Dance. Perhaps ''Dance Music Society''? Just a thought.

Higgy - that must've been pretty ****ing awesome. Sounds like an absolutely cracking night, and yes, the Above and Beyond remix is very tasty.
Reply 1067
djmarkmclachlan
Would it be a lot to ask for the name of this 'society' to be changed? It looks stupid with Dance and Trance; as Trance is Dance. Perhaps ''Dance Music Society''? Just a thought.

Higgy - that must've been pretty ****ing awesome. Sounds like an absolutely cracking night, and yes, the Above and Beyond remix is very tasty.

Hello. I'm the person who started this society so thus named it also. I was and am fully aware that trance music is a type of dance music. However I included trance within the title because I didn't just want ppl to talk about commercial house and dance music, you know the type, etc and I wanted to make sure that trance, as one of the genres of dance music was definitely talked about. I do see what you mean though. I'll look into changing it. Somebody suggested doing separate sections for separate genres of music as well. Whoever suggested this what did you mean by this: threads or societies...? Lol, what do you folks think about that, anyway on another topic.
And quite a lot of people on here seemed to like trance more than other kinds of dance music so it made sense. I think its fine as it is....
Reply 1069
beach_surf_babe
And quite a lot of people on here seemed to like trance more than other kinds of dance music so it made sense. I think its fine as it is....

:hugs:
Reply 1070
Well, if people listen to Trance music they'll be fully aware that it's a sub-genre of Dance. The same as folks who listen to Breaks do. I just think it looks as to those who conform to Dance music don't understand it - which certainly isn't the case; for some.

What they suggested (if memory serves) was that there be a Trance society, a House society and so forth. Thus, not a 'Dance community' but a community open to those who conformed to a certain sub-genre, instead of the genre Dance.

I think it'd look a lot more credible if it were named ''Dance Society'' - but perhaps I'm just being pedantic and cynical.
Reply 1071
djmarkmclachlan
Well, if people listen to Trance music they'll be fully aware that it's a sub-genre of Dance. The same as folks who listen to Breaks do. I just think it looks as to those who conform to Dance music don't understand it - which certainly isn't the case; for some.

What they suggested (if memory serves) was that there be a Trance society, a House society and so forth. Thus, not a 'Dance community' but a community open to those who conformed to a certain sub-genre, instead of the genre Dance.

I think it'd look a lot more credible if it were named ''Dance Society'' - but perhaps I'm just being pedantic and cynical.

I see. There's already a Dance Society- it's about dancing.
We'd have to stick music in there if we did get it changed. The thing is I'm not sure if there is enough demand for separate sub genre dance music societies.
Reply 1073
beach_surf_babe
We'd have to stick music in there if we did get it changed. The thing is I'm not sure if there is enough demand for separate sub genre dance music societies.

:dito:
Reply 1074
There isn't enough demand for sub-genres. Atleast in here you can talk about them all, and get to know some other stuff which you might like from other genres you mightn't have went searching for. I know there's a ''Dance Society'', how about ''Dance Music Society''? Just seems a little less, shall we say, ignorant to the genre. Leave that for the Hip-Hop crew! :wink:
Reply 1075
djmarkmclachlan
There isn't enough demand for sub-genres. Atleast in here you can talk about them all, and get to know some other stuff which you might like from other genres you mightn't have went searching for. I know there's a ''Dance Society'', how about ''Dance Music Society''? Just seems a little less, shall we say, ignorant to the genre. Leave that for the Hip-Hop crew! :wink:

:rofl: That's a good one!
Reply 1076
I heard a song last night in a club and it's really bugging me! It's a dance song, with no words but the tune is like something out of a Country and Western film. Please help!
Reply 1077
That helps A LOT...

Elements: it was a joke :wink:
Reply 1078
For all those that care -

Jay Frog has today left Scooter and been replaced by a producer called Michael Simon. So a fresh creative start for the guys from Germany.
Reply 1079
djmarkmclachlan
That helps A LOT...

Elements: it was a joke :wink:

I know but it's the only way I can describe it! It sounds a bit like something out of the good, bad and the ugly, but it aint the theme tune.
ARRRRRGHHH

Quick Reply

Latest