The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
^^ True. Only real difference is Cambridge has more weird scientists.

You know it's true.
Reply 21
I hold an offer for Engineering at Cam.

Like a million other ppl, my (snap) decision was based on Cambridge's better reputation for science. Stupidly enough, I didn't even seriously visit Oxford's website.

No regrets at all so far though. :cool:
Reply 22
Went for Oxford because it seemed more lively and vibrant than Cambridge when I visited and the engineering department has some nice links with industry. And in going to Oxford I had the chance to do EEM if I wanted to.
Cambridge, I liked the fact that all colleges let you stay in halls for 3 years, and the fact that for my course (law) cam you have exams each year, Oxford you have all your exams at the end. All exams at the end of a degree is not cool >_<
Reply 24
IseethroughWalls
Cambridge, I liked the fact that all colleges let you stay in halls for 3 years, and the fact that for my course (law) cam you have exams each year, Oxford you have all your exams at the end. All exams at the end of a degree is not cool >_<

You mean for Law right? Because one of my friends thought it applied in all subjects when it doesn't in quite a lot. I've got my exams spread over three years :smile: .
Reply 25
Oxford primarily because they offered the PPE course but I shan't deny that the reputation of the placed where I live mattered as well. Oxford just had this aura around it, especially for the humanities, which Cambridge lacked. I admit it was rather hollow and all that initially, but I don't regret it the slightest bit.
Reply 26
I chose Oxford over Cambridge because I thought Cambridge was dull.
Cambridge on the advice of my physics teacher, "Only poofs go to Oxford!"

Actually as I wanted to do maths I'd made up my mind long before he chimed in with that classic.
I'm doing English at Clare, Cambridge.
I went to an open day in Oxford before I'd ever visited Cambridge and didn't like the Old English slant of the Oxford course, so was already considering Cambridge more seriously. Then I visited Cambridge and fell in love with the city. Also, there isn't a college in Oxford with the same name as me! :smile:
Reply 29
I always preferred Cambridge because it is so well-known for its scientific contributions, and I've always seen myself as more of a scientist than an artist. I also looked at the league tables, which showed the most academically qualified students for medicine to be going to Cambridge. I know that's a pretty crap way of choosing, but since everyone tells you that all medical schools are the same, you inevitably have to resort to such strategies to make a distinction. Visiting Cambridge really sealed the deal (even after three years it still seems really special and unique), but it wasn't the main reason, as I never even visited Oxford to compare. Anyway, somewhat arbitrary though it was, I don't regret my choice at all... particularly since I am now spending the last 3 years of the course at Oxford, giving the best of both worlds. :smile:
Modern History and Politics, Queen's College Oxford\
Oxford because:
1. My best friends are going as well.
2. Cam doesnt do joint courses it seems.
3 The city seems more fun.
4. Apparently cooler politics dept.
5. I am irrational and think it is much better.

Personally, I've noticed that in alot of cases the reasons for the choice are thought out after the choice. Quite a few people seem to warm to one or the other almost instinctively if they are interested. Has anyone else found this to be the case?
I'm applying to Cambridge because I don't want a postcode with an X in it.

Oh yeah, and it's 3000 times the university and city Oxford will ever be and is about 8 places further up the league tables for maths. And whereas Cambridge requires on average AAA11 for maths, Oxford offer a crappy AAB-ABB. Can't help but think less of it for that. Not even asking for STEP papers when Warwick do (and the point of the STEP papers is so that Oxford/Cambridge can see your scripts, which Warwick can't). :confused:
Reply 32
I think I am going to apply to cambridge because
1.oxford doesn't have an special access scheme (i don't mean the inner city comprenhensive thing)
2.oxford does only have economics and management together but i prefer economics on its own.
actually i'm still not sure where to apply to...:smile:
Reply 33
generalebriety
And whereas Cambridge requires on average AAA11 for maths, Oxford offer a crappy AAB-ABB.

I think Oxford only gives AAA offers, or AAB offers in special circumstances, haven't heard of anyone getting an ABB offer.

I chose Oxford because of the course (PPE) mainly. I also prefer Oxford as a city, I find Cambridge a bit small and East Anglian :p:*

*For any East Anglians getting offended, I live in Norwich:p:
Reply 34
I choose oxford as i didn't fancy natsci and only oxford did biochem, ox is closer to home and has a college named aftermy 'favourite' city (lol) exeter.

however i do have to say that i hadn't really studied the cam course, i think it can be quite instinctive.
Reply 35
Cambridge because it's closer to me (30 mins drive) & so I know the city well (ridiculously Durham was my insurance - miles away & I've never been there!).

Have only visisted Oxford once but found the city centre busier than Camb. A professor at Christ Church Oxford told me that "the main difference between Oxford and Cambridge is that Cambridge has more green areas", but whether he was talking nonsense I don't know.

(EDIT: haha most people seem to have based their decision on league tables/courses offered etc., mine is essentially because "I like going shopping in Cambridge.")
Teebs
I think Oxford only gives AAA offers, or AAB offers in special circumstances, haven't heard of anyone getting an ABB offer.

Not what I was told on the open day for maths. :smile: AAB are good grades but you have to admit they look fairly **** when you're confronted with AAA11.
Reply 37
generalebriety
Not what I was told on the open day for maths. :smile: AAB are good grades but you have to admit they look fairly **** when you're confronted with AAA11.

Oxford stil operate their own entrance exam for maths (and joint schools) though don't they?
X
Oxford stil operate their own entrance exam for maths (and joint schools) though don't they?

Yeah, I have a copy of a past paper and I could do every single question on it without hesitation (and I've only done three quarters of maths A-level). They're just funny looking A-level questions / common sense. :confused: STEP papers are entirely different - the best I've ever done on a STEP paper was three whole questions and two half questions in about 6 hours.
Three fairly mundane reasons I picked Cambridge over Oxford, putting aside the fact that Cambridge had been drilled into me since I was about 5:

Cambridge is better known for my course (Computer Science);
I prefer the atmosphere of the city, the Oxford colleges are lovely but the city has too many cars and feels like a crappy version of London;
I live right next to the M11 link road, which makes it a lot easier to get to Cambridge!

Latest