The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Medicine/Dentistry with Foundation Year (A104/A204) - Do you want to know more?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Buzzybee123
Hi, I've just recently received me GCSE grades and chosen my A-level subjects. I really want to study Dentistry at University and am contemplating weather on not I should change me A-level subjects as I have been researching Dentistry courses at Universities and found a 6 year course rather than the normal 5 with a pre-dental year. Should I change my A-level options to non-science ones to meet the 6 year course requirements as I think I can probably achieve better grades in non-science subjects??? Help -what should I do?! Also what subjects are classified as non-science?

The person who started this thread hasn't been on TSR since January, so I doubt you'll get a reply.

However, I would strongly suggest that you do take science A Levels that will make you eligible for dentistry at Manchester and elsewhere.

The medicine foundation - and I strongly suspect that the same holds true for dentistry - is actually now MORE competitive than the 5 year course, so by making yourself only eligible for the foundation year, your making it both more difficult to get into dentistry, and impossible to get into any related courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
If anyone wants any help relating to the Medicine with a foundation year course then post here and I'll try my best to help since I'm on the course at Manchester :smile:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
Original post by UzairAhmadje
If anyone wants any help relating to the Medicine with a foundation year course then post here and I'll try my best to help since I'm on the course at Manchester :smile:.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Heya mate,

This is definitely my first choice of course as I love the city, I like the sound of PBL and let's be honest, there's not much choice out there for us foundation lot!

How are you finding the course? Also, would you be able to have a look through my PS, I will be sending it off in a matter of days now.
Original post by Alimbo95
Heya mate,

This is definitely my first choice of course as I love the city, I like the sound of PBL and let's be honest, there's not much choice out there for us foundation lot!

How are you finding the course? Also, would you be able to have a look through my PS, I will be sending it off in a matter of days now.

Please do not send your PS to anyone through the private message system, or post it on the public forums. This is for your own safety, as you run the risk of having it plagiarised. If that happened to you, you wouldn't get into medicine this year.

Have a look at the TSR guides to PS, get your college tutors to have a look at it, but please don't put it on TSR (NB the notable exception to this is normally the PS Help forums, as they're secure, but unfortunately that's now closed to new submissions until October 16th :frown:)
Reply 64
Original post by Origami Bullets
Please do not send your PS to anyone through the private message system, or post it on the public forums. This is for your own safety, as you run the risk of having it plagiarised. If that happened to you, you wouldn't get into medicine this year.

Have a look at the TSR guides to PS, get your college tutors to have a look at it, but please don't put it on TSR (NB the notable exception to this is normally the PS Help forums, as they're secure, but unfortunately that's now closed to new submissions until October 16th :frown:)

Ah right, sorry about that.

I put my PS for review here, but I haven't heard anything back yet
Ah right, sorry about that.

I put my PS for review here, but I haven't heard anything back yet

We're currently doing our best to get through them all before the deadline but it is very busy at the moment, hence why we've had to shut it. As a guide, the oldest medicine PS that is currently there is 13 days old, so you will probably be waiting a few more days.
Heya mate,

Hey, sorry for the late response.

Manchester was also my first choice and thankfully I got in. The course takes some breaking into as PBL is not as easy as it seems :P but I can see how and why students who study medicine via PBL are well equipped for their future careers.

Sorry I cannot look through your PS though, as Origami Bullets stated, your best bet is to wait until your PS has been reviewed by someone on TSR.

All the best with applying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cjpuddytat
Hi guys,

I've just finished the 'Pre-med' / Pre-dentistry Foundation Year at the University of Manchester and wanted to put myself forward if anyone has any questions about the course.

Since there are a very limited number of places on the course, the information available is lacking and when I applied I found it difficult to find out more about the course than what was on the UoM website.

Questions regarding course content/facilities/exam format/practical work etc are all welcome.

Whether you've been offered a place or are considering applying, reply to this thread with your questions and I will check back soon.

Hi just wanted to ask, if I did the double science award at gcse and foundation tier maths, would I find the sciences and maths hard in the foundation year?
Original post by Anna.A123
Hi just wanted to ask, if I did the double science award at gcse and foundation tier maths, would I find the sciences and maths hard in the foundation year?

That person hasn't been active on TSR for over a year so you probably won't get a reply.
Original post by cjpuddytat
Hi guys,

I've just finished the 'Pre-med' / Pre-dentistry Foundation Year at the University of Manchester and wanted to put myself forward if anyone has any questions about the course.

Since there are a very limited number of places on the course, the information available is lacking and when I applied I found it difficult to find out more about the course than what was on the UoM website.

Questions regarding course content/facilities/exam format/practical work etc are all welcome.

Whether you've been offered a place or are considering applying, reply to this thread with your questions and I will check back soon.

What were the entry requirements?
Original post by Ray.Inspiration
What were the entry requirements?

That person will have applied more than five years ago, their entry requirements won't be particularly relevant to you. I'm also not sure you'll get a reply as they don't seem to be very active on TSR anymore.

You can find the current entry requirements for Medicine here and Dentistry here.
Reply 71
Anybody starting this course in 2015? IB results are in and it looks like I'll be coming to UoM this September, although I'm still waiting for UCAS Track to update..
Reply 72
Hi,
Thanks so much for posting! You're right getting information is tough. I'm 27 and looking to apply for medicine within the next 2 years, I just need to finish my chemistry a level which I know should help the application.
Is there any advice you could offer about what else could boost chances of success when applying for the foundation? I don't have a previous degree and my other a levels including human biology were9 years ago. ...I'm willing to du whatever it takes.
Please help!!
Emily-Ann
Reply 73
I can only speak from my experience applying. I'm 17 and have just graduated school. My UKCAT score was just barely above average, so surely nothing that really boosted my offer. Instead I think my personal statement and internships/work experience were the most helpful. If you manage to do anything healthcare or really just "people" related and are able to reflect on that it really helps.
Original post by EAV16
Hi,
Thanks so much for posting! You're right getting information is tough. I'm 27 and looking to apply for medicine within the next 2 years, I just need to finish my chemistry a level which I know should help the application.
Is there any advice you could offer about what else could boost chances of success when applying for the foundation? I don't have a previous degree and my other a levels including human biology were9 years ago. ...I'm willing to du whatever it takes.
Please help!!
Emily-Ann

Have you thought about going along to an adult returners to education session? It would allow you to get some proper one-to-one advice from a member of university staff http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/mature-students/information-sessions-presentations-visits/
Reply 75
Hi,
Am in my late twenties working in Clinical/Medical/Aesthetic environments and have decided on a career change: Medicine. I've always been great at Chemistry/Biology but never pursued it formally. Working with Doctors everyday has made me 110% certain it is the perfect job for me. Now's the time!
I'm in the midst of extensive research on the topic. .......but it seems the quality and SHEER NUMBER of applications to medicine these days is just terrifying! ! "How can I compete? !"
.so anyone successful in applying, please help. ......

I'm willing to retake a levels. I'm willing for all experience and research required. But please help me to answer what still seems unattainable at the moment: WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO GET MY APPLICATION TAKEN SERIOUSLY?
Hi just a quick message, I just completed an accredited Access course and have along with classmates been accepted to Dentistry today (some medicine some pharmacy etc) An access course would be you best bet it is 1 year for adult learners who have been out of education for 3/4+ years and the 1 year is equivalent to you 3 A levels the course covers maths physics chem and bio and is intense but saves you a year of A levels.

I did mine at The Manchester college and I know there are a couple others that are accredited. Be careful because there are a few of these access courses but not all meet the criteria the med schools want. Have a search around Access to HE and you will also need you GCSE maths and English at at least a B for most med/dental schools.

Hope this helped ? x

Original post by EAV16
Hi,
Am in my late twenties working in Clinical/Medical/Aesthetic environments and have decided on a career change: Medicine. I've always been great at Chemistry/Biology but never pursued it formally. Working with Doctors everyday has made me 110% certain it is the perfect job for me. Now's the time!
I'm in the midst of extensive research on the topic. .......but it seems the quality and SHEER NUMBER of applications to medicine these days is just terrifying! ! "How can I compete? !"
.so anyone successful in applying, please help. ......

I'm willing to retake a levels. I'm willing for all experience and research required. But please help me to answer what still seems unattainable at the moment: WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO GET MY APPLICATION TAKEN SERIOUSLY?
Reply 77
WowThanksfor replying, I've contacted the Manchester college plus others to find out.Congrats on getting on! Mind if i ask what the entry process was like?
Did you need to take any extra courses to be accepted onto the access or was your experience what sold it? So fascinatingly difficult!
I'm currently nervous because a lot of the access courses specify in entry req: suitable for people who have achieved in other areas and wish to change career- do you have any inkling what they would regard as 'achieved'?! I don't a 'previous degree or any particular 'commendation ' type awards from work, apart from being good at my job.!
Curious!
. . '
Reply 78
Hi EAV16
Good luck with your career change! A brave move, but you'll feel so proud of yourself 10 year from now!
I recommend the College of West Anglia Access to Medicine course - it's one of the better access courses, and is accepted by most of the uni's that consider access courses in their entry requirements, and it was full of people in a similar situation to you when I was there last year. Many students hadn't been in education for years, and those that went on to get Distinctions in all their modules were all offered a place on a Medicine course either that year or the year after.

Your other alternative is to do A levels in Chemistry and Biology. I tried doing them self-taught to save on costs and so I could work part-time, but this was a massive error! Better to do it full time at a college if you can.
Good Luck :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
hey! Ive just been tolf that, as a spanish candidate, I can only apply to the A104 course.
my background:
-2:1 BcS (hons) nursing
-a leves and as levels 2xA* and 1A touching bio, chemistry and maths (and physics for as)
-gced: 10a* and a the rest A
worl experience:
full time as a nurse in different specialities
shadowing
ukcat
vr 600 qr 710 ar 690 da 610 band 2 (2610)

choices: a104 manchester, warwick, Cambridge (gem), imperial (gem)

I'm so nervous
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply