The Student Room Group

CRB Check - Has anyone had problems with a caution?

Scroll to see replies

Hi can anyone give me some info 5 years ago I had a caution . Mortified I put myself into that position . i was depressed at the time and I no why now . But the guilt still lives we me . But I'm a loving caring person that wants to help people young or old but this horrible thing that happened to me is stopping me applying for the job that I live to do . From what I've read it's going to show up on a enhanced . I will tell them but the embarrassment is stopping me . Wrong place wrong time . But today I've decided to go for it . I have so much to give . If it's meant to be then hopefully it will all work out x
Can anyone help me my first time on here . 😀 thankyou
Reply 182
Original post by Lillydally28
Can anyone help me my first time on here . 😀 thankyou

What was the caution for..? it all depends on what its fo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 183
Hi David, do you know where I might be able to access this list of cautions that can be removed? I have a caution for 'battery'. It sounds horrible and is a result of a stupid drunkern evening. This happened in 2009. I work in a nursery at the moment, I have applied for a couple of jobs in schools and haven't heard back. I would like to eventually train as a teacher but I'm wondering if i'll be rejected as there'll be lots of other applicants without a criminal record?

Kind regards
Reply 184
Original post by Vicky31
Hi David, do you know where I might be able to access this list of cautions that can be removed? I have a caution for 'battery'. It sounds horrible and is a result of a stupid drunkern evening. This happened in 2009. I work in a nursery at the moment, I have applied for a couple of jobs in schools and haven't heard back. I would like to eventually train as a teacher but I'm wondering if i'll be rejected as there'll be lots of other applicants without a criminal record?

Kind regards

Google

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 185
Google hasn't helped :frown:
Reply 187
hi how do i go about getting my convictions removed- ive been working at my job for nearly 6 years but now i need a liecene for gaming -my crb came back with pasted conviction over 26 years ago -im to worried and imbarrested to go into work.

kind regards HH
Original post by David Wacks
Dear all,

Further to my reply, it may well be that a caution is now filtered off if more than 6 years old and not on the list of serious offences which will not be filtered off.
The law was changed on 29 May last. When they published a list of 700+ offences which would not be filtered off. However, without publicity, the list was reduced to about 250 offences seemingly increasing the number of people who would not be affected but, there is a further list not yet published which could mean that the caution would still be mentioned it is vital, therefore to make specific enquiries with an experts or the DBS specifically asking if a specific offence to which you were cautions is or is not filtered off.
if it is not filtered off. However, it is possible but not certain that some cautions cannot be removed on individual application

Anyone with specific enquiries, please let me know and I will see if I can clarify this for you.

Regards

David Wacks

Hello.3 years ago i was caught shoplifting in marsh&spencer in ealing broadway,london uk,on 10th,may . On that day i had a quarrel with my parents over money and in a state of unclear mind i wanted to disgrace them, so i convicted this first offence. I took socks and underwear and children sticker from other store but wasn't caught and then i went to M&S, i took food, which cost 15pounds and left the store without paying for it. the store manager stopped me and called the police who then noted down my identity information & fingerprint. They didn't take me to the police station but gave me a police caution and locked my information on the CRB or DBS check. I paid a penalty of 80 pounds(PND) for the convicted offence . I told them i was an international student from southeast asia, so they didn't inform the incident to my university as it was a minor offence. After that incident, I could still continue my study in the uk and when my exam was over i went back to my country and returned back to london after 1 months to attend my friend's wedding,and after that returned back to my country untill now. I have stay clean ever since. I didnt get arrested or put on jail. Does it classify as a crime conviction? Does that mean i already hold a criminal record in uk ?Can i still go back to uk after 3 years?Does this affect me when applying for visa to enter Canada or other nation for studying abroad as well as working abroad? Does it still show up on my CRB/ DBS check? how can i ask for the removal if it still show up?or should i declare about it at the canada embassy when applying for study permit ?I have reached 24 years old now, I know what i have done is very silly, stupid,n immature at the age of 21, i didnt count the consequences that i could face. im very worry if this will affect my further future education in canada. Please give me an advice. Thank you so much!
Reply 189
Hi everyone, was Just wondering I am going to hopefully be studying Primary Education at university to become a teacher and just wanted to know whether my DBS Check has to cover both the adult barred list and child barred list? I have an enhanced DBS that covers the child barred list, would this be ok? Thank you:smile:
The British Legal System was put in place by idiots!! It is designed to punish offenders who set foot on UK soil for life and yet offenders from other countries can start off on a clean slate by moving to the UK. It's about time the government gave people the chance to "rehabilitate" by erasing all crimes that did not lead to imprisonment. Most ordinary people are being forced to reoffend because they can't get good jobs since making the first mistake. Why can't someone realise this and give people the chance to move on with life??
I am 15 and I got issued with a community resolution record today for shoplifting my in result of this the police officer told me to write a letter of apology to the store manager. I wanted to how will this info b told to my school and will it affect me getting into sixth forms
Reply 192
Original post by David Wacks
the law when retention of cautions was changed on the 29th may. If you have a cautionas an adult over 18 it should be filtered off criminal records checks after 6 years unless it was for one of a list of more serious offences

If you got a reprimand. When you were under 18, and again for minor matters it should be off after 2 years

If any reason, it is not filtered off but you need it removing now, it may be possible to do so, depending upon all the circumstances of the offence, whether you can show procedural irregularities or other exceptional circumstances

If you need further advice on this I will be happy to advise further

Regards

David Wacks

Hi David,
I have been checking online how to remove a caution from my records and I have seen that you could help with further information. My case is that the pólice put me a caution because two guys involved me telling lies and even if it was proved that I didnt do anything I dont know why they put me the same caution as them because I was with them, this is making me problems as I have just been rejected from my dream job because they need an empty dbs so they have advised me to try to delete it from my records. would you know where or with who could i talk to go through this?
Thanks so much in advance for your attention.
Best regards
Original post by saima2510
I am 15 and I got issued with a community resolution record today for shoplifting my in result of this the police officer told me to write a letter of apology to the store manager. I wanted to how will this info b told to my school and will it affect me getting into sixth forms

It won't affect you getting into sixth form..
Hi i recieved a reprimand when i was 16 (2006) for shoplifting even when it wasnt me doing it, the girl i was with done it but i was aware so we both got a caution.. anyway i need a crb check for work, i am now nearly 26 years old would this show up? And if it did who do i contact to have it removed please
Many thanks
Not one bit of this is correct. Maybe of time of publishing. But now it's not.

First of all a caution isn't and has never been classed as a conviction.

Secondly, cautions are spent immediately. So the second you put pen to paper (which you shouldn't without a solicitor present as they are often over used when they should not be). So on any form when applying for a job if it says "do you have any criminal unspent convictions" you answer NO every time as you legally have not.

Thirdly they don't show up on all types of record checks. A basic disclosure they will never show up on, only unspent criminal convictions and jail sentences in the previous 5 years will. But they will for 99 years after signing show up on an enhanced crb along with any arrests that you did not receive any form of caution.

Fourth(ly?)
This will not bar you from employment like some of the old fashioned thinkers in here would have you believe. Statistics say up to 1/5th of the uk population now has some sort of police caution on record. It is about the type of crime and the offence also the time. That is a big one. If it was week before last you probably don't have a hope in explaining it but several years very few employers will hold it against you if they want to employ you.

Take this from me, who employs a lot of people and some roles need crb checking. You are more than a piece of paper telling me your past.
The same year i got the reprimand i had an advanced crb check and it was on that as unspent. It was untill we was 18 i think, so ive not had a crb done for 9 years. My employer is now chasing me up for it. Is there anyway you can have it removed off an enhanced one? I work with money and medicines ect so because it was 'shoplifting'i do t want them to get a wrong impression of me! Even though it wasmt me that done it and i wouldnt dream of ever stealing. Xx
Original post by didi2012
Hi i recieved a reprimand when i was 16 (2006) for shoplifting even when it wasnt me doing it, the girl i was with done it but i was aware so we both got a caution.. anyway i need a crb check for work, i am now nearly 26 years old would this show up? And if it did who do i contact to have it removed please
Many thanks

From what I know of the current laws it will show up. What as a person with one myself and an employer, I would suggest this, phone your local police station and ask for a data request or request your own crb check that will show exactly what your employer will be able to see. Mainly because you don't want to confess to something that you may not need to.

If you do this and it comes back with it on (which personally my understanding of it, thinks it will if it is an enhanced crb) then next time your boss is looking for it bat it off and ask for a brief word. Explain your situation to your manager. Any good manager should realise this was 10 years ago and have faith in you. An explanation is better than it landing on their desk with it on as it looks like you have tried to hide it.

Good luck and keep us posted.
hi i had a caution for offensive wepond in public at july 2006 didnt go court would this be on my dbs check on my carer job thank u
[QUOTE=mark baunton;58810111]hi i had a caution for offensive wepond in public at july 2006 didnt go court would this be on my dbs check on my carer job thank u

It depends on what check they do. If it's a basic disclosure no. If it's an extended crb check like what is required to work in a school then yes sadly it will.

I am not going to sugar coat it either that is a fairly bad caution to have but it will really depend on the job. Anything can be explained away if you are honest. Play slightly dumb as you only have to declare a caution if the wording of the question requires you to declare cautions. Usually it just states unspent convictions which a caution is not. So don't drop yourself in it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending