The Student Room Group

After telling someone the degree you study, what is their response?

Scroll to see replies

"What use is American Studies in England?!"
Original post by Petro_99
Biomaterial Science and Tissue Engineering

I normally get wtf is that?

Is that the study of arse wipes
Me: occupational therapy
Response: What's that..?
Me: 'gives explanation'
Response: Oh I saw a physiotherapist once (insert story)

Eurgh! They are not the same!!!
Original post by namename
Everyone who says "sayong" must be very clever. And "repsond"

indeed, that's why i never know how to repsond
Reply 2344
I don't even say what I study anymore because I'm sick of people thinking I'm going to be a car mechanic :facepalm:
Original post by a10
I don't even say what I study anymore because I'm sick of people thinking I'm going to be a car mechanic :facepalm:

Oh so you want to be a plumber
Reply 2346
Original post by whorace
Oh so you want to be a plumber

Exactly :biggrin:
"Why?"
"I'm going to study Computer Science"

"Oh, so hacking and stuff"
Original post by Firescarlett554
I'm going on to study animal behaviour soon and i swear this is the only response (and the most annoying) i get when i tell people.
I Don't even want to work on a zoo/safari park lmao,there is so many other options you can study with a degree in animal behaviour and I specifically want to study animal behaviour so it can lead to a career in Animal Welfare.
:colonhash:

Hey :smile:

I'm also considering a career in animal welfare but my degree is in Wildlife Conservation. I'm going on to study an MSc in Animal Behaviour in Welfare.
What kind of career were you thinking of going into? I am interested in animal welfare but I'm still unsure what it is exactly I want to do!
Hopefully starting a psychology degree in September, and when I tell people, the response I get 95% of the time is 'let me be your first client' haha :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Now.... confusion as to why I am unemployed.
Good luck getting a job with that.

Or some other STEM MasterRace nonsense.
Me: "I'm studying English."

Most other people: "So you're going to be working at mcdonalds/ starbucks/ other low paying job?"

It really annoys me that there's this stereotype that English is useless and you just end up working unrelated jobs if you study it. People seem to think that about Arts subjects in general. My thoughts are that if you have a plan and you know what you need to do to get into a relevant industry (internships for example), it is not a waste of time.
Original post by Mismatched_dollie_pepper
I haven't started my degree yet, but when i tell people that I'm going to do Radiography their expression is usually "radio-what now" 0_o?

x

Hahaha same here!
No one seems to know what it is, then I just say "the people who do X-rays" then they go "Ohhhh I get it!!".

One of my friend's dad's thought I said radiology though which is longer (basically medicine stuff) and he kinda hyped me up and was like you are going to be a doctor!! And I was like "nooo nooo, my course is only 3 years! :O"
Original post by HarleenQuinzel
Me: "I'm studying English."

Most other people: "So you're going to be working at mcdonalds/ starbucks/ other low paying job?"

It really annoys me that there's this stereotype that English is useless and you just end up working unrelated jobs if you study it. People seem to think that about Arts subjects in general. My thoughts are that if you have a plan and you know what you need to do to get into a relevant industry (internships for example), it is not a waste of time.

To be fair I know 5 people with English degrees and not a single one has been able to get a job.
Whyyyyy? Can it lead to a good paying job? ... -_-
Original post by RoundTrip
To be fair I know 5 people with English degrees and not a single one has been able to get a job.

Yeah, it's not a completely untrue stereotype. It's just irritating when people say that. I don't need others mocking my choices.
I'm starting my degree course in September. But, people's usual reactions when I tell them what I am going to study are:

"Wow! Well done!"

"Welcome to the team"

*high fives* "You're almost there"

"Are you sure that this is what you want to do?"

(And after I say "yes")

"Are you really sure? Ok"

A lot of them respond with amusement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Geography and planning / human geography and town planning

Someone thought human geography was like human biology haha. I stopped telling people just geography and planning because people were imagining volcanoes and lakes and like events planning.

I don't even start until September so I look forward to more responses for the next several years because I imagine "what degree are you doing?" is going to be the opening line of small talk with pretty much everyone I meet.

Quick Reply