The Student Room Group

The Tesco thread.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Timoghada
If you don't mind me asking, how long did they take to get back to you?

5-7 days as far as I remember
Reply 1521
Original post by SimonJunior
Hi everyone I need help basically I've got an interview on Tuesday for customer assistant - reception for tesco

1. Does that mean I'll be working at the tills or not?
2. What would be the hourly wage as I'm still 17
3. What are the one on one interview lie so what questions do they ask
4. Do they pay weekly or monthly
5. My shift would be Monday to Friday 15:30 - 22:30 will I be expected to do overtime?

I really need help as I've very nervous for this interview and don't want to get rejected

Thanks

1. Not sure, as my job title is customer assistant - checkouts
2. I believe the rate is the same, it does depend where you live outside London it is less. Before I moved to London, I was on 7.02 starting hourly rate for three months then 7.39, in London starting rate is 7.70 then it goes up to 8.07
3. At lot of the question are like name me a time when you've done this, shown this etc
4. Other person is wrong, pay is 4 weekly so for example this month we got paided on the 3rd and will be again on the 31st. Cut off for payday is the end of Thursday the week before.
5. You don't have to do any overtime you don't want to, I have point blank refused overtime during studying and they have been helpful with time off with studying. At the end of the day your contracted those hours, if you don't want to you don't have to

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've just had an interview for a tesco express that seemed to go really well. The young lady interviewing me said she liked my personality and what I had said in relation to her questions. The only concern she had was that I was going to university in a few months and she'd need someone long-term. However, she added that this wouldn't necessarily put me out of the running for the job.
Fingers crossed!
HI EVERYONE I NEED LAST MINUTE HELP

I was told for my interview I needed to bring my national insurance number but I turned 16 after the stopped doing the NI cards

But I know my NI off by heart will that be okay as they had said bring something with the NI on like a letter

WHAT DO I DO ITS TOMORROW
HI EVERYONE I NEED LAST MINUTE HELP

I was told for my interview I needed to bring my national insurance number but I turned 16 after the stopped doing the NI cards

But I know my NI off by heart will that be okay as they had said bring something with the NI on like a letter

WHAT DO I DO ITS TOMORROW

DW. Do you know your number? Bring it with you on a piece of paper
Original post by Adeel Ali
DW. Do you know your number? Bring it with you on a piece of paper

Yeah I know it off by heart so I can just right it down on a piece of paper and they'll be fine with it?
Yeah I know it off by heart so I can just right it down on a piece of paper and they'll be fine with it?

They should do yes. My NI number came on a letter, which I brought with me.
Seen a lot of frequent questions being asked so I thought I would try answer as many as I could at once for you all!

I started working at tesco last Novemeber on checkouts, post was advertised as temporary but was told at induction that it was permanent.

They took a while to get back to me but they had received a massive amount of applications. Can't remember exactly how long but around 2 weeks I think.

Interview was 1-1 I found it pretty tough as I had no previous job experience to refer to. Questions were based around situations e.g time when you delivered good service, challenging authority, organisation. I often found myself twisting the questions slightly to suit me as I had no experience. Before the interview I had went over basic questions they ask in interviews and most of the questions fitted around them to some degree.

Took a while to get back to me after the interview, partially my fault as I was on holiday.

Then had induction, full day. Included videos, age restricted product sales training, tour of store and paper work.

For my first shift on checkouts I watched someone for the first while, then worked with them watching me. Got the hang of it pretty easily, theres a lot to think about to start with but you get used to it. Make sure you take a pen and a bottle of water for your shift!

Uniform took a while to come because of Christmas deliveries. However wasn't that major a problem as during December we wore Christmas jumpers anyway. To my interview I wore a dress and to my induction I wore a skirt and top. Smart casual. A lot of people just wear school clothes - black trousers and shirt.

Pay is good. Every four weeks. £7something per hour and £10something per hour on a Sunday and bank holidays!

Overtime is encouraged in our store but obviously not forced. Sunday overtimes however does quickly boost your pay!

Make sure you make some good friends in your department, makes shift swapping easier and the shift easier!

Feel free to ask me any questions!
Original post by Tedster
Honestly wouldn't recommend working at Tesco. Terrible company to work for, three more weeks and i'm out of here.

Can I ask why?
Hey, I applied for a part time job at Tesco. A few days later I got this email

"Dear It's Andy,

Thank you for applying for the role of Customer Assistant - xxx - xxx - xxxxx.

After careful consideration, unfortunately we will not continue your application to the next stage.

However, we do consider every application individually so if you find another role that you think would be right for you, please don't hesitate to get in touch again.

Click here to explore some other opportunities.

Best Regards, The Tesco Resourcing team."

I heard that some people are rejected automatically due to their response to the questionnaire (the "it's your lunch break but a customer wants help, choose A, B or C" questions).

Has that happened to me, or did I pass that stage to actually be considered, to be then rejected. That's the only email I've received, so it's given me no information as to why.
Original post by Tedster
Honestly wouldn't recommend working at Tesco. Terrible company to work for, three more weeks and i'm out of here.

Maybe it's your store -.-
Everyone at mine is lovely

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've got a Question about uniform .Do we order it online ourselves ? Do we pay for it ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheGemini
I've got a Question about uniform .Do we order it online ourselves ? Do we pay for it ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

When I first joined my store ordered my first set of uniform for me (well at least in my store). It took around 3-4 weeks to be delivered. if you already have received uniform but would like to order more (for example you need more shirts) you do that online on the 'OurTesco' website by using your employee number. The website is super quick and easy to use! Your store will have a delivery day for uniform so you'll receive it then. All uniform is free (yay!). Hope this helped :smile:
Original post by TheGemini
Maybe it's your store -.-
Everyone at mine is lovely

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here:smile: I love it
I had an interview last week at Tesco for a DOTCOM picker.

I had my one to one interview and then a brief show around the store with a colleague to see how they work on the department etc.

They said that they will get back to us within a period of 2 days to 2 weeks.

Are they checking references during this time? Because surely they cannot invite me to an induction if they don't know about my references? That would be a waste of their money.

They didn't ask about references in the interview, but my online Tesco profile in the Careers Centre has an email address from my previous employer in the 'Reference' Box.

At what stage do Tesco look at references (if at all)?
(edited 8 years ago)
Interview in the next couple of days at an Express store, what should i expect?
Being an express store im guessing there won't be a group interview etc?
Why Tesco never replies after sending applications?
So I've done a week already at Tesco and I'm enjoying it a lot. I'm in the stock control department, I'm just wondering how much overtime there is? Especially considering it's the summer holidays. I'm going to ask tomorrow anyway, but currently I'm doing 5-9 on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. The rest of the week is boring so I'd like to just work more! Although, I'd imagine it would be different at every store.
Reply 1538
Don't know if anyone can help (I hope they can!), but when clocking out tonight I didn't hear it beep the first swipe but it did the second. My concern is that is did beep the first time (I have hearing loss, and it was particularly loud as there was loads of people about & didn't catch as to if the machine said it had been accepted first time!), and I've infact clocked out then bsck in argh! Who should I see about this? (My actual manager isn't in), thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kbkasey
So I've done a week already at Tesco and I'm enjoying it a lot. I'm in the stock control department, I'm just wondering how much overtime there is? Especially considering it's the summer holidays. I'm going to ask tomorrow anyway, but currently I'm doing 5-9 on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. The rest of the week is boring so I'd like to just work more! Although, I'd imagine it would be different at every store.

In my departament there is roster week by week with all team and written under which days/hours they need for overtime so everyone fills in what they wanna work extra.

Ask colleague from your department they will prob know best

Quick Reply