The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Glasgow Accomodation

Scroll to see replies

I only just applied this weekend because I thought I'd be staying at home and commuting! Now I'm worried I've left it too late to get the accommodation I want. Roughly how long did it take to get an accommodation offer after applying for it?
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Hi All,

I can see many students struggling trying to find the perfect place to live in Glasgow. I just want you to know that we still have availability in our brand new accommodation for 2015/16 at 333 Bath Street - great location right in the middle of the city centre. The accommodation will have its very own Cinema Room, Gym and Work Room exclusive for students who like to have the best at their doorstep. To add, we have a huge dining area that you can rent out to cook and enjoy meals with your friends. You should definitely check it out and we are taking viewings and bookings for next academic year;

http://www.collegiate-ac.com/uk-student-accommodation/glasgow/333-bath-street

You will not be disappointed.

Collegiate
Original post by Callum Brady - Collegiate
Hi All,

I can see many students struggling trying to find the perfect place to live in Glasgow. I just want you to know that we still have availability in our brand new accommodation for 2015/16 at 333 Bath Street - great location right in the middle of the city centre. The accommodation will have its very own Cinema Room, Gym and Work Room exclusive for students who like to have the best at their doorstep. To add, we have a huge dining area that you can rent out to cook and enjoy meals with your friends. You should definitely check it out and we are taking viewings and bookings for next academic year;

http://www.collegiate-ac.com/uk-student-accommodation/glasgow/333-bath-street

You will not be disappointed.

Collegiate

To anyone thinking of entrusting this company with any form of stability within accommodation, don't even go there. A sly manipulative company with a total lack of regard for their students, that will happily take your money and not deliver any form of service. Here in Leeds (Pennine House) we have had building works from September 2014 and will be ending October 2016, building works usually start around 7am and finish at 6pm, in the last month i have caught building works going on throughout the night on several occasions. Before the signing of any contracts, i asked the question will this site be a relaxing environment for me to study? Will there be any unnecessary noise? and both were answer......."No, 100% not." They will not tell you about anything that will endanger the signing of a tenancy, literally burying their heads in the sand and not dealing with any matters they have effectively set them selves up for. Not to mention the fact we moved in and nothing was finished. Directly next door a 16 million pound hotel is being built and it literally rattles the building. I pay £205 per week, this is a lot of money and the service delivered isn't worth even half of this. Collegiate PROMISED compensation for the stress endured over the building period, the stress was endured because of round the clock building works and large maintenance faults. For 6 whole months of solid stress, we were presented with £165 "Good will payment" 0.35% of my yearly rent. Please, please do not entrust this company, they will take you for everything you have and PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT STAY AT PENNINE HOUSE. I am currently having to seek legal action against these cons during my exam period.
Hey guys I'm an international student from Italy and I'll be studying biomedical engineering next year at Glasgow. I'm looking for accommodation but I have no clue how to choose. Any advice?
Original post by mayyllek
hey, I'm a first year student and I have just been offered student apartment accommodation!

I'm happy, but my one worry is that student apartments will be unbearably dull.

Anybody have an stories/experiences about student apartments and what the overall atmosphere is like?

I just got an offer for student apartments and have the same worries! I love the location and buildings, though.
Did you get a twin room or single?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'll apply for queen margaret :smile:
Reply 2166
How do you kniw if you have got an offer and also cant fibd the website to login . There is no login option for galsgow uni website

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've applied through UCAS
Any 1st year undergraduate students staying at Winton Drive? It seems to me not many people consider even applying there as it says on the website that it's normally not offered to 1st year students. However, I'm an international (and turning 20 this autumn) so they might have made an exception for me...?

When I asked an acquaintance who studies in Glasgow right now about which accommodation to apply for, he clearly advised against choosing Murano or Wolfson. :biggrin: But then again we're both quiet Finns who don't prefer 24/7 partying...
Where does your package from on-line arrive when you are living in Murano Street Student Village?
Hey! I'm a 21 year old student going into first and potentially staying at murano halls. Is this a terrible decision?? Is there going to be anyone else my age!?
Hey,

I am an international student, and will be studying marine bio. I will be staying in Buchanan View (Unite Students), anyone else, too? :smile:
Hi:smile::smile: I will be staying in Buchanan View too!!!
Reply 2173
Hi there, just wondering if anyone who is at Firhill Court could tell me what it's like? Is it as good as the pictures looked and would you recommend it? Thanks :smile:
Hi there! I'm staying at Firhill this year and it's lovely. I'd say it's nicer than Queen Margaret just because it's so modern looking. The staff are incredibly nice as well. It's a little quieter than some of the other residences, but murano is just up the road from us. The main drawback about it is that it's 25 mins from the uni, but you can take the shuttle bus if you'd prefer.

Also, despite a lot of us putting down to be in mixed sex flats, a huge group ended up in single sex. I don't mind it and I don't know if this is common, but it's something to think about.

Any other questions about it, feel free to give me a shout! :smile:
Hey!
I have some questions and if anyone could help me out I would really appreciate it! :-)
1. I have received an unconditional offer to Glasgow, does this mean that I will 100% receive my first choice for accommodation?
2. i'm 6"3 and absolutely hate sleeping in a single bed, are QM and Firhill the only places with double beds?
3. Some of the halls seem so big, do you still get a close knit 'family' type atmosphere with the people?
4. I love to party. Why does it matter what accommodation I choose in conjunction to partying?

I'm really sorry if I have missed the answers to the questions on the forum or on the Glasgow website!
Original post by IgnoranceIsBliss
Hey!
I have some questions and if anyone could help me out I would really appreciate it! :-)
1. I have received an unconditional offer to Glasgow, does this mean that I will 100% receive my first choice for accommodation?
2. i'm 6"3 and absolutely hate sleeping in a single bed, are QM and Firhill the only places with double beds?
3. Some of the halls seem so big, do you still get a close knit 'family' type atmosphere with the people?
4. I love to party. Why does it matter what accommodation I choose in conjunction to partying?

I'm really sorry if I have missed the answers to the questions on the forum or on the Glasgow website!

I'll help out where I can!
1) No. You're obviously more likely to get your first choice as your accommodation will be allocated before everyone else's, but it's still not guaranteed you'll get your first choice.
2) I could be wrong here so someone can correct me but I'm fairly certain you'll only be given a double bed if you're applying for couples' accommodation.
3) I know people who have close knit families and live in Murano. I know people who don't have that who live in smaller halls. It's kind of hit and miss and depends on your attitude and the attitude of the people around you. I've found those of us in smaller halls though do tend to be more like a family because like our whole social circle within our halls is like 40 people.
4) Some halls (Murano) have a reputation for being the party halls and there will be at least a few parties going on there pretty much every night, particularly at weekends. Pretty much every hall I've been to apart from Cairncross and Wolfson though seem to have parties and go out fairly regularly, so you won't be in trouble really unless you end up in either of those halls.
Hey!

Hello!

Emcat gave good advice there and covered a lot of things, so I'll just add a little to it.

1. As said, you'll not 100% receive your first choice, some halls are relatively small so it's not a guarantee to get into them, e.g. Student Apartments. But, there are a lot of nice halls, I've stayed at Murano which is not considered the best, and I had no problem there at all.

2. This is something you'd be best to contact Residential Services about as they'll have been asked this before. One of my friends who is well over 6 foot managed to get a different bed, it was effectively an elongated single. Other places may offer double beds but you may be expected to pay extra.

3. Always very easy to get a close knit group wherever you are! Sometimes with big halls it's even easier since you meet so many people, you'll find good friends no problem. :smile:

4. Murano does indeed have the reputation for having the most parties, but you'll get them anywhere. I've stayed in Student Apartments which had a good balance, there will be plenty of like-minded people wherever you are.

Hope this helps, if you have any further questions, please let us know! :smile:

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering
Hello! :-)

Thanks so much emcat and Scott from Glasgow!
All the advice from both of you is really helpful!
I'm going to contact the residential services about a different bed :-)

Do you have any advice on choosing Firhill over Murano because it's nicer, in terms of; do you think the extra 1 thousand a year is worth it?

Regards,
Alex
Hey!

Hi there! I'm staying at Firhill at the moment so I'll add my experience for you to consider :smile:

1) I firmed my unconditional for Glasgow in March as I wanted to wait until all my offers were in (Edinburgh kept me waiting, typical from what I've heard). I applied for accommodation straight away. My first choice was QM, second was Firhill, and I had Student Apartments and Murano large and small as my third, fourth and fifth. I ended up in Firhill. As has already been stated, you aren't guaranteed your first choice but I believe applying early would put you in stronger standing to receive your first choice. There was a lot of problems regarding the accommodation this year simply because there wasn't enough to go around, so applying early never goes wrong.

2) Some of the Murano rooms have been refurbished and now have the same small double bed as QM and Firhill. I think it's just luck of the draw as to whether or not you get a room with one of them though. I can't say much on this topic as I'm only 4"11 so that one's never been a problem for me really.

3) Murano's the biggest of the accommodation blocks, but as far as I can tell, they have a better experience to what I'm having. As far as I can see, more people means that your preferences are more likely to be met (mixed or single sex flat etc.), and you're also more likely to meet people who are similar to yourself. I applied for mixed ensuite and I'm from a state school background, but I've ended up in a single sex six person flat where all the other girls were privately educated. Three of them are actually from the same school in Edinburgh, so they already knew each other. Pure coincidence! We don't really have a lot in common, and most of my block seems like this really. If I could go back, I'd consider dropping the ensuite just to have more chance of meeting similar people to me.

4) You'll never be stuck for partying wherever you go. Murano does have more of a reputation for it, but there's always a flat party going on. In my case, Firhill is a 5-10 minute walk from Murano, so you can always head up there as I've found myself doing. Once you've got your place in accommodation, I'd recommend you join the Facebook group for your halls (I'm presuming they'll keep making them, they're extremely useful) because it's the best way of meeting people between them posting their flat number to find people or advertising pre-drinks at their flat. You're always welcome to join that sort of thing, and you definitely won't miss out anywhere. The only real difference you might notice is the cost of a taxi home from a night out. Other than that, there's not much else.

In terms of whether it's worth the extra money, I guess it's your preference. I like having my own bathroom and the rooms and kitchen are much nicer here than they are in Murano in my opinion. I've been a bit unlucky being placed with people I don't really gel with all that well, whereas that seems to be less of a problem in Murano. If you were to ask me if I'd change my mind, I would, but only because I'm planning on travelling next summer and now could be doing with the money for something else. So, if you've got something else in mind you could be spending that cash on, it might not be worth it.

Really sorry that this post is so long! I didn't even notice! Any other questions, fire away, I'd be happy to help in any way I can!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending