The Student Room Group

Nexplanon Reviews?

Scroll to see replies

UPDATE : Good News Spotting For 8 Days But Now Starting To Regulate Periods Now Lighter But Last For A Week And Light Cramping Cant Complain Only Coming Up To The 5 Month Mark On The 26th x
Hello.. I'm a little younger than majority of you, I'm actually 14. I had the Nexplanon implanted into my arm on 26/06/2015 which was 3 days ago. I know it's a little early to be experiencing any side affects, but so far I seemed to look a lot slimmer. And also the day I want to get the implant, was the day my period started... I had pains until I got the implant done, and since then I haven't had a single period pain.. And I have dysmenorrhea(agonising periods) and I also have heavy periods.. But since having the implant I went light, and now my period has stopped and I only have spotting. And another thing is since getting the implant I've been a lot happier, and bouncy. Yes I've had the odd faint feeling and headache, but nothing major. And I'm a teen so of course I'm going to have spots. But I only seem to have one. So my review so far on Nexplanon is a 7/10, I don't like the cold trickling feeling it gives me.
I had my nexplanon implant just about a year and a half until I decided to finally take it out because it was a massive pain in the backside. I've never been prone to getting pimples but suddenly I kept getting huge pimples all the time, gained weight and bled irregularly and was just miserable. Sometimes my period would be regular but then I'd go six or eight weeks without any bleeding and then I'd bleed for absolute ages. Sometimes it'd stop two or three days and then it'd start over again.

I finally took my implant out two weeks ago and to my dismay I'm STIL bleeding even though it's slowing down. I was on the pill (progestogen only) so I'm assuming it's the hormones taking some time to get out of my system but it's very frustrating. Hopefully it'll slow down and go back to normally.
Reply 143
Wouldn't recommend implant at all. I'm 17 so hormones are already all over the shop. However, I'm usually bright and cheerful, my relationship with my boyfriend is usually amazing and we get along very well in all ways... Now I'm insane, I feel depressed, headachey and nauseous the majority of the time. I'm an emotional wreck and it's destroying my relationship within the boyfriend and my family; I'm miserable. The bleeding is a pain but not too bad because I'm still able to have sex quite regularly though my drive isn't as much as it was when I first started having sex. Getting it removed asap as I can't cope with the emotional mood swings and self loathing. Effective and gives you piece of mind but depression is not something I'm willing to endure.
Reply 144
I've been on Nexplanon for just under 2 years now. Im 24 and when I first had the implant done I was a slim size 8/10 with 32A chest. Now Im a size 12.. 14 in some shops and a size 32D. My periods come monthly for about a week but irregular times and then for a few random days after going on for about two weeks... Ive been on the fence about keeping it just for the sheer fact that i'm protected with my boyfriend but I feel as though the weight gain is getting me down a lot.. has anyone else experienced alot of weight gain?
I had the implant put in 9 month ago touch wood I still hadn't my period which is lucky but the bruise what you get man is horrid but I look at the good side for it knowing that I never getting pregnant is great but before I had it in I was horrid on the pill lucky 2 before Christmas it went in had a massive bruise there now again a get a dull pain behind the scar but it so worth it having it
Original post by autonomousAlana
Hi, I have recently had the nexplanon contraceptive implant put in but really I want to know what it was like for you personally, whether it was good or the worst experience of your life.

It brilliant having it in only bad side effects is having really bad mood swings can happen form being happy to mad I nearly got kicked out off college form it but hey am still at college with a happy personality but when I started felling tired I turned to the energy cans but I have been warned for it but I have 2years still go hope it stay like this having no period
Reply 147
Get it removed asap dont hesitate any longer. I have had all these symptoms and more, and my family hate being around me sometimes. They dont go away they just get worse. Iv had mine in 8 months and im finally having it removed tomorrow. Iv always been a happy go lucky and bubbly person but im very snappy, get very frustrated, angry at the slightest thing, get very emotional over spilt milk. And over the last few weeks iv come out in a lot of acne which iv never suffered from and my hair and skin especially my face is very greasy..... Role on tomorrow. I cant wait to feel like my normal self again. The doctor did tell me to give it time to settle but i think 8 months is long enough. Nothing got better it just got worse!!!!
Just to add some diversity to the thread: I've had Nexplanon for 3 months now after taking the Rigevidon pill for 18 months - I looked at this thread when I first got it and seeing other people's experiences terrified me! But I have experienced no side effects at all other than a bad headache that wouldn't go away for the first 2 weeks. I've had no bleeding, no weight gain, no mood swings, nausea, anything!

I wonder if maybe the people who have had good experiences are less likely to comment on the forum? So sorry to hear of all these awful experiences :frown:
Reply 149
Hi!
im 21 and had my implant for about a year and half now, i was the a slim size 10 and now im a size 14 all since having my implant, i go to the gym daily eat healthy and walk everywhere and cannot shift any of the weight. I've been on the fence too, booked to have mine taken out soon as I dont think the peace of mind knowing im protected with my boyfriend is worth the way i feel about myself when there are other options.
dont worry, youre not alone!
Reply 150
I was on it for a year and loved it, no bad side effects, no bleeding.
I had it removed as i thought it was causing a labido problem (it wasnt).

Ive had it put back in recently and ive got constant brown blood with occasional redder fresher blood. Its not enough for a tampon which is my preference, so im making do with light towels.

I didnt have this the first time, has anyone had this and it went away?
I've had my implant for 4 months now and it is the best type of contraception 100%.
I had my period for the first 2 months but it was a strange sticky kind of blood (gross I know) and they lasted about 2 or 3 days. Since then I haven't had a period.
Admittedly I do get headaches occasionally but nothing to worry about I don't bother with pain killers or anything and it hasn't affected my weight or skin which worried me the most.

Getting it put in was painless and incredibly quick and they keep it confidential even at GPs.
I got on the Nexplanon on June 26th, I gave 6 months and it is now December 2nd & I had to get it removed yesterday. I got HORRIBLE acne, slight weight gain, and CONSTANT bleeding. My husband and I have had a horrible sex life ever since I got this in because it has thinned the lining in my uteris so entirely much that everytime we try and have sex it irritates that lining causing me to bleed. I bleed randomly and excessivly every single day, and every pair of underwear I owed in ruined. I got this taken out yesterday and I still bled during sex even after the removal and still randomly bleeding now. It destroyed the lining of my uteris so much that I don't even know when it will be able to repair itsself now ):
Reply 153
Ok update on mine, i bled very lightly but heavily enough that itd ruin underwear withiut a towel or something for four weeks.

This stopped for about 4 days and have had sex, at which point ive started bleeding again. Hopefully its still just settling but will keep updating!

No other side effects whatsoever.
Reply 154
I'm 28, 29 in May next year.
I got the Implanon over 3 years ago. Best thing ever, to be fair. No periods, no change in weight, not a single issue. Earlier this year I had it removed and they gave me the Nexplanon implant. I've had periods many times, sometimes lasting a few days, disappearing and returning within 1-2 weeks!! Then it settled back to monthly, as it should be, only lighter, without cramps and pains. I noticed my periods were always at the same time as my sisters, and mother's. UNTIL recently. I'm "late". My sisters and mother have had theirs but I haven't.

I've actually gone up a breast size, and am gaining weight. Then there are the cravings for Galaxy Nut Crunch chocolate, and certain things I have now gone off such as carrots and normal coffee.
I have to avoid carrots because just the sight of them make me feel sick. As for coffee, I have to drink decaf, because my stomach doesn't seem to agree with normal coffee.
I get like an acidic/heartburn type of feeling in my chest most evenings, and feel like I want to be sick.
And these last few days I've been nesting. I tend to have a mad cleaning frenzy every once in a while, but THIS is happening in excessive phases.
Finally come the dreams. You know, them little "mummy" dreams you get sometimes?

I have done a test last week, but it came back negative. I'm waiting for a week or two before I try again, but I'm getting the same symptoms I had when I was pregnant with my son who I had at 20. He was adopted a few years ago because I was in a really bad place back then and knew deep down I couldn't be the mother my son needed. This time round I am in a great relationship, I'm blooming and doing so well and feel ready to be a mother again. My partner knows I could never replace my son, but he's supporting me in my decision to have this baby, as a way of starting over. In 8 years, my boy may or may not come looking for me, and when he does, I want him to see the woman I am now, and not the woman I was back then.
Hi I was on the pill (mycrogynon) for a month and decided that that was not the contraception for me as I kept forgetting to take it, so on the first day of my first pill free week I went and had the implant put in and then 2 days later had unprotected sex, the doctor told me I was coverd by my pill in the
I've had the implant for 2 years now, and I hate it. I've put so much weight on, always feeling dizzy and I've been on my period for 2 years straight.. It's awful, I'm always in pain and the pain doesn't go away, after arguing with the doctors for nearly a year and a half , I'm finally getting it out .. But I guess it reacts differently in other people.
It does as it should: it prevents pregnancy. Other than that I've gained weight and struggled to lose (still haven't and still struggling). My mood swings are awful. I bleed for up to two weeks at a time, although no cramps. My sleep pattern is erratic and I wake for two hours nightly and almost always lethargic and no energu or motivation. My appetite is ferocious. I also lost my sex drive which negated its purpose. I've since had the coil put in and awaiting to see if things will improve.
Reply 158
The implant isn't supposed to have *any* affects on weight - and it hasn't for me!
I've had it for over a year now and I experienced a few minor mood swings in my first few weeks, and spotting a fair amount.
I still spot, but I barely notice it. I've had no side affects that I'm aware of. My weight is normal, sometimes I bleed for long periods of time (but I can also go for MONTHS without bleeding - which can be great!)
After a few weeks, most side affects go. I agree with this statement, I wanted to have it taken out in the first few weeks because I was getting a little upset about my mood swings, but it's all cool now!
I couldn't explain all these side affects but when I went to the family planning clinic to discuss sterilisation the doctor asked me if I had experienced such and such...and ran through lots of things and I had experienced most of them. I had no idea they were connected to the implant but she advised that most female NHS workers on contraception use the Mirena coil as the side affects aren't mythical, they're very much a reality.

Quick Reply

Latest