The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You'd have breached your contract, so they're only entitled to pay you for time you'd worked and nothing else.
Reply 2
Revd. Mike
You'd have breached your contract, so they're only entitled to pay you for time you'd worked and nothing else.

So surely thats a no, if the op is paid by the hour?

Or even if not??
Reply 3
I'm fairly certain they have to pay you for work done no matter what.
You sound upset and brief. Please give us a little more detail.
Reply 5
I don't think they can. If you have worked for them, they legally have to pay you. They may not give you a good reference etc. but they can't keep money that you have earnt.
Reply 6
I work part time at a supermarket (only for the past 8 weeks though so still the probation period) while i'm at uni and unlucky for me, one of my exam dates changed from a week on tues, to tuesday this week. I explained the situation to my manager and asked her if i could have the weekend off and if not the weekend maybe just the sunday to revise (since i have more exams on monday lol). She said no and I really can't risk not getting everything fresh in my mind (final year and all that) so i was thinking of handing in my notice tomorrow.

I've worked 2 weeks since my last paycheck and was just worried they wouldnt pay me it because the handbook of the store says nothing about it. And as a poor student, every penny counts!
Clicky
How much notice is an employer entitled to

The notice you should give your employer before resigning should be in the contract. If your contract does not say how much notice you must give your employer then, if you have worked for one month or more, the minimum notice you should give is one week. If you have worked for less than one month, the notice period should be reasonable. See under heading 'Reasonable' notice.

If your contract says you must give your employer more notice than this, you must give the amount of notice in your contract. Your contract may set out how much you must give, whether it must be written, and/or when you should give it.

If an employer withholds money owed because you gave incorrect notice

If you leave your job without giving proper notice, your employer may try to withhold part or all of the money owed to you. In general, employers are not legally entitled to withhold money owed, unless your employment contract allows for it.

If this happens, you should consult an experienced adviser, for example, at a Citizens Advice Bureau. To search for details of your nearest CAB, including those that can give advice by email, click on (New window) nearest CAB.

For more information in England, Wales and Scotland about your rights when your employer withholds money owed to you, see Employer withholds your pay in Employment fact sheets.

However, it's extremely bad form to leave without giving proper notice, and you could damage your future employment prospects if potential employers find out about it. I'd strongly advise against whatever you might be planning here. :no:

Edit: I didn't see your second post while I was typing mine. While I would be surprised if any major negative consequences came of you leaving in this case, you might find this second link worth reading: http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/562372.html
Reply 8
Thank you! That was really useful! I think if I do leave it will look bad, but then if I don't and my exam is affected then the long term effects on my life will be greater than the short term effect on the store. But I don't know because I would feel so guilty but every bit of revision could mean the difference between a 2:2 and 2:1 because my final year counts as my whole degree classification. Stressed i am so stressed lol.
Reply 9
Megan492
I don't think they can. If you have worked for them, they legally have to pay you. They may not give you a good reference etc. but they can't keep money that you have earnt.

The OP also has to legally work her notice period. Both failing to work a notice period and failing to pay are both breaches of contract.
http://www.advicenow.org.uk/advicenow-guides/work/young-workers/ending-your-job-html,362,FP.html

If you quit without giving proper notice, your employer should give you the money you earned up to the day you left. But they may be able to withhold money if you have signed a contract which says they don't have to pay you if you don't give proper notice.

Thanks, Google.
Reply 11
Check your contract. It will usually say something along the lines of 'we may withhold your pay if you breach this contract', which leaving without notice would be considered as. I've not been paid for hours worked when I've left a job without notice.
im leaving a job due to been sick so i cant give notice can they with hold my wages, ive never seen a contract an been there 3 months
Hi I am owed 4 weeks pay and lst my job without notice, as was really ill and could not e
Return to work, I did write a letter explaining reason why. I have no contact , can he withhold my ages cheers
Original post by Coraspear
Hi I am owed 4 weeks pay and lst my job without notice, as was really ill and could not e
Return to work, I did write a letter explaining reason why. I have no contact , can he withhold my ages cheers

Yes/
Reply 15
They have to pay you for the time you have worked.

I left a job a few years ago with no notice and they paid me for all the hours I'd worked.
I'm owed a month in hand can they take money out of that if I leave before my two weeks notice I have given ??
Reply 17
I just started this job in a small shop. I was due pay a week ago. My managers ignoring me and need money to pay bill. Im meant to be working tomorrow. If i dont go in, can he legally keep my money i worked for. I have no contact.
Thanks for any advice
Hi, I've recently quit my full-time job. I am due about £500-600. I don't think I will see it. I do have a contract and it does say I have to give them a weeks notice, but because of my health and been diagnosed with a few things, I am unable to serve my notice for that week. I have been told by a very close friend that I should go to to the Job Centre and fill out a Self Certification letter and send that to them, I have a locker key and a swipe card which I will be sending too. Also been told that I should get my partner to phone up and state that I will no longer be working for them and that I resign as of today. Things seem so complicated but can anyone help me out? Would appreciate it. Thanks
Original post by Rsturbo01
Hi, I've recently quit my full-time job. I am due about £500-600. I don't think I will see it. I do have a contract and it does say I have to give them a weeks notice, but because of my health and been diagnosed with a few things, I am unable to serve my notice for that week. I have been told by a very close friend that I should go to to the Job Centre and fill out a Self Certification letter and send that to them, I have a locker key and a swipe card which I will be sending too. Also been told that I should get my partner to phone up and state that I will no longer be working for them and that I resign as of today. Things seem so complicated but can anyone help me out? Would appreciate it. Thanks

You might want to create your own post rather than bumping up an old one, but I would believe the resignation call should come from you, not your partner.

Latest