The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Firhill Court 2015

Hi everyone, I'm an undergraduate student coming to Glasgow this September. I'll be living in Firhill Court and I'd like to start meeting some of the people and getting opinions about the place. So anyone else going to be living at Firhill?

Scroll to see replies

Hi there, I'm an undergrad starting in September as well, studying English Lit/Language, and I'll be living there too! It's nice to find someone else, it doesn't seem to be a very well known accommodation site. I've searched the web for reviews and opinions to try and get an idea about the place but I haven't been able to find much out. It's quite an expensive option accommodation wise so it'd be reassuring to see exactly what we're going to be getting!
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by The Milk Thief
Hi there, I'm an undergrad starting in September as well, studying English Lit/Language, and I'll be living there too! It's nice to find someone else, it doesn't seem to be a very well known accommodation site. I've searched the web for reviews and opinions to try and get an idea about the place but I haven't been able to find much out. It's quite an expensive option accommodation wise so it'd be reassuring to see exactly what we're going to be getting!

Hey there, Milk Thief! I'm glad there's someone out there in the exact same place as me when it comes to information about Firhill. Two things: One, I met someone who has lived in Glasgow for two years now and knows quite a few people who lived at Firhill and they all said it was pleasant. The second thing is that I think there's a Firhill Court facebook page or something under the main UoG page/group, but you have to have your uni email to join which as an undergraduate starting this fall I don't have yet.
Oh and one more thing! Do you know where in the building you'll be. Like which apartment or room and stuff because it doesnt say on the accommodation offer.
Original post by MagyH
Hey there, Milk Thief! I'm glad there's someone out there in the exact same place as me when it comes to information about Firhill. Two things: One, I met someone who has lived in Glasgow for two years now and knows quite a few people who lived at Firhill and they all said it was pleasant. The second thing is that I think there's a Firhill Court facebook page or something under the main UoG page/group, but you have to have your uni email to join which as an undergraduate starting this fall I don't have yet.
Oh and one more thing! Do you know where in the building you'll be. Like which apartment or room and stuff because it doesnt say on the accommodation offer.

Ah that's nice to hear then! Yeah, I've joined one of the groups on facebook but I don't know if it's an official one and the chat there isn't particularly lively either. I doubt that we'd need our uni emails to join any facebook groups, mostly because no one has them yet! And regarding the room and flat numbers, no one in any of the accommodations knows where they'll be yet. The earliest we could find out is August, but it is likely that we won't know for sure until we officially move in on the 11th of September.
Hey there! I'll be in Firhill too, studying English Literature and French.
Reply 5
Out of curiosity, why did you guys pick Firhill? To me it looked new and a good distance from the uni to be both practical but also it wouldn't make me feel lazy and as if I'm living in the same place as where my lectures are. Oh and I wanted my own bathroom too but I didnt seem to like the Queen Margaret flats when I saw them at the open day. The rooms felt a bit like tunnels and there was that big empty space in the kitchen with no couches. Firhill seemed kinda more finished.
Honestly, QM was my first choice haha! I haven't been able to visit Firhill, it just seemed like a good place to live. I visited Murano at the applicants day and it honestly felt like a prison cell to me, so I decided that it wouldn't be the best option for me. I prefer the ensuite services.
Reply 7
The way you felt in Murano was how I saw QM. The rooms were just so long and thin. I felt like I was in a cell. I must say though I'm very excited about moving to Glasgow and I really just want to start meeting the people I'll be around! I've only been to Glasgow twice but I loved it. It seems like the perfect place.
I had the same feeling about Murano when I visited - it felt very cramped and dark. Firhill just looked very nice and the ensuite option didn't hurt either.
Original post by MagyH
Hi everyone, I'm an undergraduate student coming to Glasgow this September. I'll be living in Firhill Court and I'd like to start meeting some of the people and getting opinions about the place. So anyone else going to be living at Firhill?

I'm going to firhill:smile:
What are yous all going to study?
Reply 11
I got accepted with Theatre Studies. But I'll probably end up with Another other subject too!
What about you?
Reply 12
I'm going to live in Firhill Court too :smile: Well, my first choice was Queen Margaret because it seemed more likeable from the website (I couldn't visit the university)! Anyway, I'm a new undergraduate student and I'll study Psychology :biggrin:
Reply 13
Hi everyone
I lived at firhill last year and will be living there again this year
It's a very nice accomodation
I have friends thAt lived at QM and in terms of the room they all seem to prefer firhill with the only good thing about QM being that the rooms were bigger (the rooms at firhill aren't that small in my opinion)
If anyone has any questions feel free to ask :smile:
I'm also going to be living at firhill this year! I'm going to be studying computer science and I am excited to meet new people :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Jma2014
Hi everyone
I lived at firhill last year and will be living there again this year
It's a very nice accomodation
I have friends thAt lived at QM and in terms of the room they all seem to prefer firhill with the only good thing about QM being that the rooms were bigger (the rooms at firhill aren't that small in my opinion)
If anyone has any questions feel free to ask :smile:

Boy I have plenty of questions! But to start with are the facilities in there really as new as they seem in the pictures?
And about the laundry services1) do you need change to wash your clothes and 2) how are the dryers, I find dryers dont tend to be that good in the accommodations.
Reply 16
Original post by MagyH
Boy I have plenty of questions! But to start with are the facilities in there really as new as they seem in the pictures?
And about the laundry services1) do you need change to wash your clothes and 2) how are the dryers, I find dryers dont tend to be that good in the accommodations.

When I moved in my room had a new bed and new chair and it was painted so looked brand new, the only thing I would advise it to check the mattress when you move in as mine had a stain and when I was moving out they tried to make me pay for a new mattress but if you make a note of everything when you move in then you'll be fine when you move out
The en suite bathroom also looked very good
The kitchen facilities weren't new but they were in a very good condition the only downside to the kitchen is it had no toaster and kettle so defo bring you're own or you can buy it with ur flat when u start
For the laundry - yes you do need change i think it was £2.30 for washing and £1.50 for the tumble dryer
I thought the dryers were very good as long as you didn't overload them
I'll be studying Dentistry :smile: @MagyH. I'm nervous to move into Firhill incase it's not what it seems like.. Are all the beds doubles yea? @Jma2014
Reply 18
Original post by Paulinas58
I'll be studying Dentistry :smile: @MagyH. I'm nervous to move into Firhill incase it's not what it seems like.. Are all the beds doubles yea? @Jma2014

It's exactly the "In case it's not what it seems like" that bothers me too. And wow dentistry! That sounds notoriously hard to get into. Congrats!

Original post by Jma2014
When I moved in my room had a new bed and new chair and it was painted so looked brand new, the only thing I would advise it to check the mattress when you move in as mine had a stain and when I was moving out they tried to make me pay for a new mattress but if you make a note of everything when you move in then you'll be fine when you move out
The en suite bathroom also looked very good
The kitchen facilities weren't new but they were in a very good condition the only downside to the kitchen is it had no toaster and kettle so defo bring you're own or you can buy it with ur flat when u start
For the laundry - yes you do need change i think it was £2.30 for washing and £1.50 for the tumble dryer
I thought the dryers were very good as long as you didn't overload them

Thanks so much for the helpful answers @Jma2014 ! Isn't 2.30 pounds a ton for just one load of laundry? Not that I've ever used a laundromat service before but jeez...It seems like those pounds would be felt missing from my wallet :biggrin:
Reply 19
Original post by MagyH
It's exactly the "In case it's not what it seems like" that bothers me too. And wow dentistry! That sounds notoriously hard to get into. Congrats!

Thanks so much for the helpful answers @Jma2014 ! Isn't 2.30 pounds a ton for just one load of laundry? Not that I've ever used a laundromat service before but jeez...It seems like those pounds would be felt missing from my wallet :biggrin:

You're welcome :smile: if you have any other questions feel free to ask
Yea it is quite expensive I think it's more expensive than the other accommodations :frown: normally I've found that you only need to do one wash load a week though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending