The Student Room Group

Rent a car under 21

Like with all these car/van rental companies most are looking for over 21's

e.g: enterprise, easycar

Any one got any places where I can rent a car for the weekend if I am only 20, preferably pick up car in the west midlands area for use over the uk.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There was a guy in Bordeaux who rented out rusty old sheds (well not quite, stuff like mondeos and cavaliers) for 25€ a day to anyone with a license. Sooooo handy for day trips out.

He left a notice on the noticeboard at uni.
Reply 2
I think it's probably illegal. You could ask at your local university as they might know someone.
Reply 3
No, it's not illegal. It's just that insurance companies don't want to lend their cars to inexperienced drivers.
I think it is illegal, 21 seems to be the standard age for car rental, even abroad. I bet the guy you found that lets anyone with a liscence rent out a car does not have adequate insurance for under 21's (thats the illegal part) since it may just not exsist for rental cars, just like where ever you look you will not find insurance for a 17 year old on a ferrari.
Reply 5
Renting a care is easy. :tongue:

I need to get hold of a Transit Luton and driver. :frown:
Reply 6
*titanium*
I think it is illegal, 21 seems to be the standard age for car rental, even abroad. I bet the guy you found that lets anyone with a liscence rent out a car does not have adequate insurance for under 21's (thats the illegal part) since it may just not exsist for rental cars, just like where ever you look you will not find insurance for a 17 year old on a ferrari.

It's in France, where you insure the car, and not the driver. anyone with a license can therefore drive any car, and so as long as the cars are insured it's not an issue.
*titanium*

certainly not illegal in the UK and i'd suspect it would be legal anywhere the vehicle is insured rather than drivers having insurance as the main way of insuring ....

biggest problem is the price of insurance for 17 -21 year olds .... hence it;s just easier not to offer it
zippyRN
certainly not illegal in the UK and i'd suspect it would be legal anywhere the vehicle is insured rather than drivers having insurance as the main way of insuring ....

biggest problem is the price of insurance for 17 -21 year olds .... hence it;s just easier not to offer it

Driving it is not illegal, however you will not find insurance for it, so you will have to drive it with out insurance and therefor it is illegal for that reason!
Reply 9
dont think you'll find it in the UK... but if you go abroad always go to the small rental places where ya going to instead of the chains because these will be the ones that give ya the cars.
Reply 10
Its not illegal in the uk.....i had a rental car a few weeks after passing and i was only 17. That was with National/Alamo

However it was paid for by an insurance company after someone else smashed into my car. In the insurance policy it said i would be guaranteed a rental car and didnt mention age so they had to give me one. That was nice :d
Reply 11
ive rented a new focus with hertz, throught my workplace, tho im 20...
flyboy123
Its not illegal in the uk.....i had a rental car a few weeks after passing and i was only 17. That was with National/Alamo

However it was paid for by an insurance company after someone else smashed into my car. In the insurance policy it said i would be guaranteed a rental car and didnt mention age so they had to give me one. That was nice :d

becasue your insurance was paying the insurance for it , not the rental company...
flyboy123

This is totaly diffrent, you got a 'courtesy car' car whilst your car is fixed/claim is settled. The reason no one will insure an under 21 to hire out a car is because most people do it when they go abroad.

Abroad, the rules are diffrent, often they drive on the other side of the road, diffrent speed limits a total diffrent enviroment. You are far more likely to have an accident abroad because you are not used to driving there.

Infact it may also be a case of the insurance being avaliable but the renting compaines just choose not to do it since th einsurance is soo much more expensive.
Reply 14
I am renting a car in Spain on Tuesday, and I'm 20. It's through an established company who have an insurance policy which covers it. Yeah, it's quite expensive (£200 for a week), but between 4 of us in the car, it's not that much.
Reply 15
Would you mind telling me what those car hire companies are? I am having a lot of trouble finding one!
Reply 16
Reply 17
at least they used the search function. common sense @ 50% efficiency :P
The rental company HERTZ rent to 19 years olds, I did it several times. License for at least 1year and a extra 15quid a day.
Original post by JulietSierra
The rental company HERTZ rent to 19 years olds, I did it several times. License for at least 1year and a extra 15quid a day.

You realise this thread is almost 3 years old.. :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest