The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
A few other good places to eat in Selly Oak if you don't fancy pizza or chicken and chips:

The Mud cafe does great paninis (best is the cajun chicken one in my opinion). They also do cheapo pasta dishes. Just a nice friendly cafe.

Woodstock - again, great paninis but also salads and other such healthy things.

The Selly Sausage! Possibly my favourite cafe in Birmingham. I can't believe no-one's mentioned it. Sandwiches/paninis/jacket potatos during the day and proper food at night. They do amazing fluffy pancakes too. In the evening they're open to 10pm with board games to play if you like that kind of thing, and yes, they do serve alcohol. I have fond memories of playing sex scrabble there.

Riminis - Pasta/Pizza restaurant. They do great folded pizzas (with all the good stuff inside) and yummy risottos, even if the waiters are a bit pervy. Maybe that's just my experience.

Khanum -lovely Balti House but it's small so avoid on busy nights.

Absolutely never ever go to the chinese buffet place by tesco express, no matter how cheap you think it is - I did once and had horrible food poisoning for days. It's just not worth it. Ditto Cafe Face. It's greasy, nasty, and genuinely unfriendly.

Claire x
Reply 21
You mean the Royal Orchid? I went there and had no problems, but it did seem like the perfect place to get food poisoning :s-smilie: I'll stay away from it now, thanks!
Reply 22
pai_mae
The Selly Sausage! Possibly my favourite cafe in Birmingham. I can't believe no-one's mentioned it. Sandwiches/paninis/jacket potatos during the day and proper food at night. They do amazing fluffy pancakes too. In the evening they're open to 10pm with board games to play if you like that kind of thing, and yes, they do serve alcohol. I have fond memories of playing sex scrabble there.

I have numerous great memories of the Sausage too.

Unfortunately, it appears to have closed down over the summer break. :frown:
Reply 23
ah no! maybe it's closed because they isn't any business in the summer.

something i relearnt about bham when popping up the other day - umbrella needed. i went up there in sunny london clothes and within ten mins of walking around campus it was pissing down and the whole of edgebaston park road was nearly flooded.
Reply 24
The Selly Sausage (affectionately known as 'The Snausage' by my friends and I) had a re-furb a few weeks ago but definitely is still open most days. They're closed on sunday at the moment but I think that's just a summer thing. Mmmm... I am so in the mood for one of their amazing omlettes right now...
Reply 25
Freshers actually went to Fab'n'Freshers? Ironically, i noticed lot of second and third years went, I was told they were after 'easy pickings' haha. God, am I gon' be a dirty sly second year?!
LMFAO.. ive creeped through five ways many a time when ive had no money and needed to get off in town.. get to new street then catch the longbridge train.. :smile: .. excellent :wink:
Reply 27
can anyone add to this? good info in here

thanks
Thank you to Cal for sticky-ing the thread! :smile:
Reply 29
fewasam
A to B
1) If you're a tight, cheap, fraudulent, criminal bastard, take note: no ticket barriers at Five Ways station. And no ticket barrier at New Street after about seven in the evening. If you're really, terribly running out of money, you'll generally be fine. I've never once been checked on the train between Selly Oak/University and Five Ways/New Street.

Err, no. I didn't check when you wrote this, but ever since LM took over the franchise months and months ago there are barriers at New Street practically always (until past 10pm anyway) and at university and Five Ways during Peak hours. Is it really worth risking a £20 fine to save £1.15 return?
Reply 30
It's a bit out of the way from the Uni but try Genesis on Stratford Road. Had many great nights in there.

Latest

Trending

Trending