The Student Room Group

is studying medicine in Poland or Hungary a good idea?

I've been thinking of applying for medicine in Poland and Hungary, reason being the grade boundaries are lower, its relatively cheaper and i think i'd have a better chance of getting in...i also like the idea of learning new things from a different culture and also meeting new people from different parts of the world. is it a good idea or nah?
Reply 1
If it is the only way for you to get into medicine and being a doctor is really what you want to do, then there is no way around it. But let's face it, Eastern European universities cannot keep up with Western European ones quality wise, even though they have made a business of offering medical degrees to those who cannot get into medical school in the UK or their native Western European home country. The fact that four out of the first six threads in the 'International study' forum are about studying medicine abroad are testimony to the growing industry in this field.

Sounds harsh, but that is how it is. You can get a valid medical degree from such institutions, but when it comes to getting a job at home do not expect to be treated like a UK graduate.
Reply 2
Original post by Sir Fox
If it is the only way for you to get into medicine and being a doctor is really what you want to do, then there is no way around it. But let's face it, Eastern European universities cannot keep up with Western European ones quality wise, even though they have made a business of offering medical degrees to those who cannot get into medical school in the UK or their native Western European home country. The fact that four out of the first six threads in the 'International study' forum are about studying medicine abroad are testimony to the growing industry in this field.

Sounds harsh, but that is how it is. You can get a valid medical degree from such institutions, but when it comes to getting a job at home do not expect to be treated like a UK graduate.

okay i see where you're coming from...but lets face it, even when you have the grades and extra curricular activities you still cant be sure you're going to get in...i'm not in on taking a gap year to get more experience etc but if i can get into a really good university that's highly recognized in the UK and get really good grades when i graduate then i think it should be fine....the world is always going need doctors, so hopefully i'd get a really good job.

Quick Reply