The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1020
sr4470
Get the Core 2.

With all due respect Ben, I prefer to do work I get paid for. We're not a 24\7 helpdesk. :wink:

Thanks ! :biggrin: Was intending ot anyway, but was asking whether 0.16Ghz would make difference but for extra £100, not worth it.

EDIT -- Which is better?
WXGA (1280 x 800) X-Glass OR WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050) Standard
Reply 1021
Lecter
Thanks ! :biggrin:

No problem.

Lecter
EDIT -- Which is better?

WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050) Standard
Reply 1022
sr4470
No problem.

WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050) Standard

Thanks again! :biggrin:

With all due respect Ben, I prefer to do work I get paid for. We're not a 24\7 helpdesk.

I know... that must have been misinterpreted cos it want meant to sound in any way critical
I didnt really expect a reply before the 'deadline' (I had to order today cos its the last day of the double memory offer :smile:), I just thought I'd post for the hell of it, and cos the thread title was asking me to post :p:

I'm guessing you might have interpreted the "ignorance is bliss" wrongly.. I'm referring to my ignorance of any deal better than that laptop I just ordered;
If theres a better deal out there, I'd rather remain ignorant of it, since now that I've ordered it'd just make me miserable to know about it :biggrin:
Reply 1024
iknowmole
I have now finished building my system with a m2n-e motherboard and can confirm that kingston ddr2 value ram (512mb x 2 matched pair kit) rated at 667mhz, cl5 works. I have not yet installed an os so i don't no if it is at full speed, i will let you know.

I'll wait on that before I order my other system :biggrin:
samba
I'll wait on that before I order my other system :biggrin:

I now have XP installed, it can see all of the RAM. But i don't know how to check what speed it is running at. Is the done in the bios or can it be done in the OS? Does anyone know how to do this?
Reply 1026
iknowmole
I now have XP installed, it can see all of the RAM. But i don't know how to check what speed it is running at. Is the done in the bios or can it be done in the OS? Does anyone know how to do this?

Download CPUZ, http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
Thanks for the link lecter! The RAM is running at 334mhz, which you double because the RAM is DDR2 to get the specified 667mhz (Is this right?) As for the latency timings they appear to be correct for CL5 RAM. So as far as i can tell my kingston ram is working correctly. Hope this helps.

PS I think problems occure with RAM that requires high voltages. Also i would highly recommend the M2N-E motherboard from my experience. The only down side is it does not have firewire, but then i don't really use it anyway, it would just be nice to have. And from what i have read you have to be careful with RAM compatability.
Reply 1028
does anybody here know where i can buy a desktop case????
Reply 1029
BenThackray
I know... that must have been misinterpreted cos it want meant to sound in any way critical
I didnt really expect a reply before the 'deadline' (I had to order today cos its the last day of the double memory offer :smile:), I just thought I'd post for the hell of it, and cos the thread title was asking me to post :p:

This is an advice thread, but its up to you whether you want to take it or leave it.:wink:

BenThackray
I'm guessing you might have interpreted the "ignorance is bliss" wrongly.. I'm referring to my ignorance of any deal better than that laptop I just ordered;
If theres a better deal out there, I'd rather remain ignorant of it, since now that I've ordered it'd just make me miserable to know about it :biggrin:

The one you ordered is good except for the graphics and hard drive.

Logan
does anybody here know where i can buy a desktop case????

www.dabs.com
www.ebuyer.com
www.overclockers.co.uk
www.tekheads.co.uk

Some others if you do a google search.
Reply 1030
=/ wellp, i think i cant get a desktop case for £30
Reply 1031
Logan
=/ wellp, i think i cant get a desktop case for £30

Can you be more specific?
Reply 1032
i have an atx mobo and am planning to switch from tower to desktop form due to the position of my table. WEll, actually, i find it more convenient to have a desktop case.

my maximum budget is £40.... =)
Reply 1033
Guys after 3 weeks, I have ordered the pegasus 665 from rockdirect couple hours ago -
Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2.0GHz, 4MB Cache
XP media centre and external digital TV card
7200 rpm 100GB SATA harddrive
WXGA (1280 x 800) X-Glass 15.4 inch
NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 256MB dedicated
2GB DDR2 667MHz
8x +/- Dual Layer DVD Write

Due to come mid/end of next week! Can't wait!
Lecter
Guys after 3 weeks, I have ordered the pegasus 665 from rockdirect couple hours ago -
Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2.0GHz, 4MB Cache
XP media centre and external digital TV card
7200 rpm 100GB SATA harddrive
WXGA (1280 x 800) X-Glass 15.4 inch
NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 256MB dedicated
2GB DDR2 667MHz
8x +/- Dual Layer DVD Write

Due to come mid/end of next week! Can't wait!

If you dont mind id like to know what you think of it before the end of september please. A critical review would help me decide what to get at the beginning of october.

Thx
Reply 1035
Logan
i have an atx mobo and am planning to switch from tower to desktop form due to the position of my table. WEll, actually, i find it more convenient to have a desktop case.

my maximum budget is £40.... =)

Sorry Logan, desktop-style cases are mATX\FlexATX only. :wink: Also, they only take half-height expansion cards...
Reply 1036
ghost101
If you dont mind id like to know what you think of it before the end of september please. A critical review would help me decide what to get at the beginning of october.

Thx

Yeah sure, also if you go onto the www.rockdirect.co.uk, they also have a forum you can check out! bery useful!

This is benchmarks of Peg665 but slightly different setup!
PC: Rock Pegasus 665 / T7600 (2.33GHz Core2Duo, 4MB Cache) / 1GB 667MHz / 120GB 5400RPM HDD / WSXGA (1680x1050) / Nvidia GeForce Go 7600 256MB
Status: out of box, all updates applied, wireless/Firewall/BullGuard off

3DMark 2001 SE
==============
1680x1050, no AA - 15492
1680x1050, 2xAA - 12488
1680x1050, 3xAA - aborted: no legible image
1680x1050, 4xAA - 6447

3DMark 2003
===========
1024x768 - 8390

3DMark 2005
===========
1024x768 - 3546

3DMark 2006
===========
1024x768 - 1930

AND

(c) PC Plus, October 2006 (page 59)

Budget Mobile
Rock Pegasus 665

The Pegasus 665 is exactly what Intel see many manufacturers doing with these new chips - dropping them into existing chassis to have laptops ready the moment the NDA has passed. This is essentially the same as the Pegasus 660, but with a Core 2 Duo processor. In this instance Rock has used the most affordable member of the new family, the T5500, which has a 2MB Level 2 cache, and operates at 1.66GHz.

This sleek black machine boasts a reasonable graphics subsystem in the form of the Nvidia GeForce G0 7600, and is accompanied by 512MB of DDR2 533MHz RAM and an 80GB hard drive to form a solid core. This specification isn't going to redefine benchmarks, but it's not outrageously mismatched for this budget chip either.

At 3.1Kg, the Pegasus 665 may be pushing its portability mantle, but not to the point of needing to be labelled a desktop replacement. The screen offers a good output in a variety of conditions, and the keyboard is comfortable to use. The real problem in the portability stakes is the six-cell battery; one hour and 20 minutes isn't long enough for a machine of this size.

PCPlus Verdict: 3.5/5

Rock Pegasus 665
Price : £849 (£723 ex VAT)
Supplier : Rock Direct (0870-9909090)
Info : www.rockdirect.com
Warranty : Three years' collect and return
----
Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 (1.66GHz, 2MB cache, 667MHz)
Memory : 512MB 667MHz
Chipset : Intel 945PM chipset
Hard Drive : 80GB, 5,400rpm SATA
Graphics Card : 256MB GeForce Go 7600
Monitor : 15.4in WXGA screen (1,280x800)
Optical Drive : DVD +/- RW DL
Speaker : Stereo
Battery : 6 cell Li-Ion battery
Ports : 3xUSB2, Firewire, DVI, Microphone, Headphone, S-Video, RJ45, RJ11
Extras : 4-in-1 media card reader, v90 56K modem, Intel 802.11 a/b/g wireless
Dimensions : 326x276x31mm
Weight : 3.1Kg
----
Performance
SYSmark 2004 : 200
Battery Life : 80 minutes (playing DVD with screen brightness to max)
Memory Throughput : 3600
Windows Media Encoder : 172 seconds (re-encoding HD 1,080p trailer to DVD quality sound and video)
3DMark05 : 3300
---===+++< End of Review >+++===---

Note: all the above performance figures are approximately eyeballed 'cos the graphs had no actual figures apart from the gridlines.
Thx for the link Lecter.

Ive been going through the 665 thread, and all i can say is that the customer service is ridiculously good. They are taking on board every suggestion being given. Sound like a very good company to me.

Prices quickly add up though.
Reply 1038
sr4470
Sorry Logan, desktop-style cases are mATX\FlexATX only. :wink: Also, they only take half-height expansion cards...

this sucks
Reply 1039
Logan
this sucks

Smallest ATX case size is roughly 40cm high, 20cm wide and 45cm long. (tower)