The Student Room Group

CRB Check - Has anyone had problems with a caution?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
I have recently got a caution for shoplifting-yes very stupid!! Police have me a fine of £90 and said it would be in my records. Would this be filtered or not? I applied for a Australian visa and it was granted, do I need to declare this now? Will it affect me getting a job when I move there?

Thanks for you help!!
Reply 201
Hi you will be ok n it is spent, which mean it's gone off your record
hello, i'm hopping to apply as a scout leader and they require a a CRB check - i received a caution for a false tax disc about 10 years ago - will this show up?

thanks
Reply 203
Original post by Daveena
Hi you will be ok n it is spent, which mean it's gone off your record

OK, but what if would want to apply for another visa/sponsorship visas? Do you need to let them know, I don't want to come across that I am hiding anything.. Thank you for your help!
Reply 204
Original post by Quinine
OK, but what if would want to apply for another visa/sponsorship visas? Do you need to let them know?
You want to know if a criminal record for theft will affect a visa for Australia?

I thought it was a requirement!
Reply 205
When I was 15 me and my friend went into boots she stole an eyeshadow and because i was with her I got a caution as well as her for shop lifting. I am 23 now and thinking of going to New York next year for around a week. I am I able to go with a caution because I don't want to pay and end up been turned away when I am there. My friend who stole went to New York last year and she was fine but I'm not sure if she stated she had a caution so I'm not sure what I should do. Can anyone advise?
Thank you
Original post by Lifetoshort48
I cannot understand why everybody is so caught up with the whole DBS thing, at 18 I was arrested and the case was a big case went to court, I got 2 years suspended, community service and legal costs I had to pay, 29 years later, every job I have applied that I need DBS check for nothing has ever show, then in 2008 I won a big case in medical negligence, DWP took me to court in overpayment of benefits even though the monies was put in trust for my son which is allowed, this did appear on DBS but still got the job.

because yours was 29 years ago of course employers would over look it.
Hey David, you sound like you know what's going on, I'm really worried, I myself did a dbs form, and it flagged up a caution, I'm hoping to work in a secondary school and I am insanely worried, it was back in May 2011 the caution was given, is there any hope to filter this out?
Original post by Silverstone
Hey David, you sound like you know what's going on, I'm really worried, I myself did a dbs form, and it flagged up a caution, I'm hoping to work in a secondary school and I am insanely worried, it was back in May 2011 the caution was given, is there any hope to filter this out?

cautions are filtered six years from the date they are given (bit too long for something regarded as minor i'd say). Yours should be filtered by may 2017; doesn't mean you wont get the job though they will look at how the offence relates to the work you are applying for as well as what you've been up to since .
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by chosenone93
cautions are filtered six years from the date they are given (bit too long for something regarded as minor i'd say). Yours should be filtered by may 2017; doesn't mean you wont get the job though they will look at how the offence relates to the work you are applying for as well as cwhat you've been up to since .

Thank you for your response, is there a certain department I can contAct to discuss it being removed earlier? Maybe a silly question, I was being followed on a night out by a guy he wanted to dance with me and I refused, he kept going to every club I was going attending, he kept bumping into me and insulting me,

having a drink myself that doesn't help my bi polar and I lashed out and broke his glasses, they classed it as criminal damage, such a stupid mistake and mortified my dbs showed this, I feel really embarrassed
Original post by Silverstone
Thank you for your response, is there a certain department I can contAct to discuss it being removed earlier? Maybe a silly question, I was being followed on a night out by a guy he wanted to dance with me and I refused, he kept going to every club I was going attending, he kept bumping into me and insulting me,

having a drink myself that doesn't help my bi polar and I lashed out and broke his glasses, they classed it as criminal damage, such a stupid mistake and mortified my dbs showed this, I feel really embarrassed

Thats very minor even for a caution I think you will be fine, just be totally honest with the hr department or whoever handles recruitment, as its a school their primary concern would be that your not a violent criminal or sex offender, anything else can be explained.
I have a caution for theft from 2013 total misunderstanding but i accepted it because i didnt want to go through the courts; paitently waiting for it to drop off :frown:
Reply 211
Can you help ????? In 2003 iIwas given a caution for ABH . I was told it wouldn't go on my record . I gave been working in a school and wish to apply for a different role .I've been told I cannot take this role because of a caution I was told wouldn't show up on records . can i get it removed altogether ?? Thanks L
Well I've just received my DBS check back. I've got a warning for fighting - causing bodily harm. But this was when I was 16, Ilya school girl, ad now I've totally changed my life around and now waiting to see if the waning is going to effect my care job . So if anyone knows - will it affect and not be able to do my dream job! :frown:
Original post by Blondiegurl95
Well I've just received my DBS check back. I've got a warning for fighting - causing bodily harm. But this was when I was 16, Ilya school girl, ad now I've totally changed my life around and now waiting to see if the waning is going to effect my care job . So if anyone knows - will it affect and not be able to do my dream job! :frown:

im almost certain its been filtered out by now,especially if you were under 18 at the time the rehabilitation act has gotten much better.
In truth the law has a number of different values on CRB OR dbs checks. The main view that is know is that cautions and convictions can be filtered. They can what isn't often stated is the case in which the government were effectively forced to filter peoples cautions and convictions and led to filtering. That case effectively entails the legal basis for sacking someone on the basis of a caution or a conviction that wasn't commited by some violent act has gone. The case called R v T and another 2014 35 UKSC available here at https://www.supremecourt.uk/decided-cases/docs/UKSC_2013_0048_Judgment.pdf
so if you have a caution,reprimand or warning that has not been filtered yet and are worried about the employer taking you on or sacking don't by the employer has tyo comply with current legal precedent stated above
Original post by mark baunton
hi i had a caution for offensive wepond in public at july 2006 didnt go court would this be on my dbs check on my carer job thank u

The legal basis for someone being dismissed from employment through cautions has gone. there is a filtering system by which old cautions and convictions can be filtered from records, but that system came from this case R v T and another 2014 35 UKSC
https://www.supremecourt.uk/decided-cases/docs/UKSC_2013_0048_Judgment.pdf
The case alllows for even if your caution reprimand or warning shows up, and has not been filtered yet its the cerfificate thats breached your human right. and this case gives a right in judicial review

where effectively the courts have already set a precedent. The cautions reprimands and warning have no legal basis in britain
Original post by Nicholasian27
In truth the law has a number of different values on CRB OR dbs checks. The main view that is know is that cautions and convictions can be filtered. They can what isn't often stated is the case in which the government were effectively forced to filter peoples cautions and convictions and led to filtering. That case effectively entails the legal basis for sacking someone on the basis of a caution or a conviction that wasn't commited by some violent act has gone. The case called R v T and another 2014 35 UKSC available here at https://www.supremecourt.uk/decided-cases/docs/UKSC_2013_0048_Judgment.pdf
so if you have a caution,reprimand or warning that has not been filtered yet and are worried about the employer taking you on or sacking don't by the employer has tyo comply with current legal precedent stated above

From doing my research its never clear cut, some employers are more understanding while others wont accept a record that isn't squeaky clean. Generally it depends on how the caution/conviction relates to the profession for example if you want to work in a bank and you have a caution for theft or fraud they have a right to refuse your offer if it was less than six years ago. In terms of convictions they will look how long ago it was,the seriousness of it and what you've been doing with your life since the crime, then a decision will be made at their discretion,so its essentially down to luck if your offences haven't been filtered yet.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by annie147218
I don't think a caution will really affect your chances of being employed. Where I work, I've seen CRBs come back with convictions for benefit fraud, football hoolagalism and a few funny ones where a group of people were drunk and stole a tree but they all went through fine for Social Worker positions and other roles working with children and vulnerable adults. Obviously more serious crimes will prevent you from getting a job (depending on the conviction and its relevance to the role in question).You will probably just need to give your side of the story in writing, which will then get signed off by someone senior who does a risk assessment and signs their part of the form off to justify how taking you on provides minimal risk. I suppose it depends from manager to manager though but I'm sure you will be fine :smile:

hi reply to this post I had a fight with my sister and threw a glass at her and got arrested but got put on young offenders team in not sure if this will stop me goin into my placement in a school xx
Reply 218
Hello,

I received a caution for theft in September 2015 when I was in a bar and stole someones mobile phone. I was arrested and given a conditional caution for theft and ordered to pay £200 fine. I wanted to get out of the station as soon as possible so I agreed to all this instead of going to court.

I recently applied for a job within the Government and did great on all the interview etc but when they did an enhanced check it came up which I expected. I did tell them about this but I still did not get the job.
I understand I made a huge mistake, I had drank a hell of a lot that evening and do not even remember much of the evening.
Since I have been turned down for that job, I have been suffering constantly thinking about it everyday and how it is going to affect my future. I made one mistake and I feel like I will be punished for life.

Please can someone explain to me what will happen with it being a 'Conditional Caution - Theft'.

Thank you to anyone who can help, its good to see a forum like this, I have visited numerous police websites and they offer no help in terms of explaining how the system works. I personally feel fed up and from seeing individuals online discuss situations it is clearly one that is serious and can lead to people suffering from depression and anxiety.
Reply 219
A quick google search shows that a caution stays on your record for 6 years (2 if under 18). But for gov jobs will always show, so it is up to the employer. They will take in to account how recent the caution was and what kind of caution it was.

I get your annoyed but 6 months on, I would get why they would be hesitant. But I imagine a couple of years without anymore mistakes, you will be fine. Good luck.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending