The Student Room Group

The Tesco thread.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1740
I just applied for a job online. I got the email saying 'thanks for your application we will consider it yadda yadda', but I just checked my application status and it says unsuccessful. Literally 30 seconds after submitting it. Ugh, WHY.

I'm guessing it's because of the questionnaire thing at the end, in which case WTF. A couple were difficult to choose between but I don't think I got enough to warrant an immediate rejection? I guess I'm just pissed off because I spent an hour filling out the application only to get rejected immediately.

edit: It seems I got rejected for not passing the screening questions. I reapplied with the same application, except I changed one of my questionnaire answers (the shoplifting one, oops) and my application is now being reviewed rather than outright rejected.
(edited 8 years ago)
I went for an interview around a month ago, and last week my application status changed to unsuccesful so I assumed that means I haven't got the job.
However yesterday I received a call from there asking me if I was still interested in the job, an if so then to come into store with my right to work documents and ask to see the deputy manager? What does this mean? As I'm currently at uni, my passports at home so I've got to go home to get it before I can come in, when I rang up to tell them I would be a few days she said no to worry as there's no rush. Anyone know what this means? as I don't want to waste my time travelling home to get it for nothing
Original post by livealove
I went for an interview around a month ago, and last week my application status changed to unsuccesful so I assumed that means I haven't got the job.
However yesterday I received a call from there asking me if I was still interested in the job, an if so then to come into store with my right to work documents and ask to see the deputy manager? What does this mean? As I'm currently at uni, my passports at home so I've got to go home to get it before I can come in, when I rang up to tell them I would be a few days she said no to worry as there's no rush. Anyone know what this means? as I don't want to waste my time travelling home to get it for nothing

Surely you can just have it posted to you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
On another note, anyone else getting impatient with the student transfer service

Posted from TSR Mobile
So next week I have a Tesco interview (interview number 7 in a week 😂😂) but I actually applied to three roles and I'm not sure which one they are interviewing me for.
Are the interviews specific to the role or just general ones?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kendellex
So next week I have a Tesco interview (interview number 7 in a week 😂😂) but I actually applied to three roles and I'm not sure which one they are interviewing me for.
Are the interviews specific to the role or just general ones?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They asked me in the interview what I applied for and which I would prefer to get if I was successful

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Velvetgh0st
They asked me in the interview what I applied for and which I would prefer to get if I was successful

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thank-you.
Do you think I could ask about nights? I didn't apply as I always get rejected for night time roles in Tesco but I've worked night shifts before and I really enjoyed them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im a Tesco leaver and since it was payday yesterday and i still haven't got my pay yet i was wondering if i was supposed to get paid yesterday or if its going to be next Tuesday? if its just a mistake i was wondering who in the store i worked at, im supposed to get in contact with, the personnel manager or the manger of my department? is it the number on my clock in card? :s-smilie:
Original post by heyoka
Im a Tesco leaver and since it was payday yesterday and i still haven't got my pay yet i was wondering if i was supposed to get paid yesterday or if its going to be next Tuesday? if its just a mistake i was wondering who in the store i worked at, im supposed to get in contact with, the personnel manager or the manger of my department? is it the number on my clock in card? :s-smilie:

I'm pretty sure payday is next Friday :smile:
Original post by PurpleElephant
I'm pretty sure payday is next Friday :smile:

really but payday was on the 28th last month 4 weeks from then is the 18th? wow im confused, if im wrong then thank you for correcting me :colondollar: i guess ill wait till next week
Original post by heyoka
really but payday was on the 28th last month 4 weeks from then is the 18th? wow im confused, if im wrong then thank you for correcting me :colondollar: i guess ill wait till next week

Haha it's fine!!! I just had to work it out;
We last got paid on the 28th meaning there's three Friday's between then and the 25th September (4th, 11th, 18th) making the 25th Payday!!! Just thought I'd break it down for you as someone at work asked me the other day too! I can't wait haha :smile:
We get paid on the last Friday of each month, no need for all the maths lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys, I am currently filling in an application form for Tesco. I've applied previously for Tescos and didn't hear back.
I'm wandering if they sort of put your name on a black list if you've applied before and been rejected? I'm trying to secure an interview with this particular Tesco store as it's only 5 minutes away so I'm keen to work there how do I make sure that they offer me an interview at least?
Original post by _icecream
Hi guys, I am currently filling in an application form for Tesco. I've applied previously for Tescos and didn't hear back.
I'm wandering if they sort of put your name on a black list if you've applied before and been rejected? I'm trying to secure an interview with this particular Tesco store as it's only 5 minutes away so I'm keen to work there how do I make sure that they offer me an interview at least?

I don't think they do. I applied to the same Tesco and got rejected for one role (nights) but accepted for three others. And I used the exact same application form

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kendellex
I don't think they do. I applied to the same Tesco and got rejected for one role (nights) but accepted for three others. And I used the exact same application form

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just got rejected 5 seconds after completing my application not gonna shop there again I'll pop in to Lidl instead
Original post by _icecream
I just got rejected 5 seconds after completing my application not gonna shop there again I'll pop in to Lidl instead

That may be due to the answers you gave. It's all automatic and I believe it rejects you automatically if you fail.

Lidl has a similar situation test. If you get an interview you also have an aptitude test before your interview 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello there!
I wondered if you could help me..
I've got a potential interview with Tesco and have applied many times so am excited for the opportunity.. only problem is.. I used to work at Waitrose..
I don't know the Tesco "policy" on working for other supermarkets previously.. would it hinder me to mention it? Or would it be beneficial? Any ideas?
Original post by raechelle
Hello there!
I wondered if you could help me..
I've got a potential interview with Tesco and have applied many times so am excited for the opportunity.. only problem is.. I used to work at Waitrose..
I don't know the Tesco "policy" on working for other supermarkets previously.. would it hinder me to mention it? Or would it be beneficial? Any ideas?

someone I knew previously worked at Aldi and has just got a job at Tesco so apparently not
Original post by angelfox
someone I knew previously worked at Aldi and has just got a job at Tesco so apparently not

Ah that's awesome!
I'm not sure why I just thought they didn't like people working for competitors.. but I guess it's all experience
Original post by raechelle
Ah that's awesome!
I'm not sure why I just thought they didn't like people working for competitors.. but I guess it's all experience

Thing is, my best guess is that they would view it as a massive plus.
You have the experience.
Also while you may have worked at a competitor, the fact remains that u have chosen tesco over them for whatever reason.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest