The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shuckface
I phoned up the new school where I'll be resitting at and they said they don't predict my grades as they are just a centre for the exams...so it'll be my old school who predicts my grades. Which is annoying because I emailed my old school 2 days ago and they haven't even been bothered to reply back!

Posted from TSR Mobile

So then if they are just a centre for exams, ull have to hace private tuition ryt
Original post by Ali Hyder
So then if they are just a centre for exams, ull have to hace private tuition ryt

No I'll just do most of the learning by myself :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shuckface
No I'll just do most of the learning by myself :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol great. What subject are u retaking?
Lol great. What subject are u retaking?

Just biology, which I got a B in

Posted from TSR Mobile
Same.
Same.

Which unis are you applying to? Also have you done the UKCAT? If you have, what's the verdict? :colone:
Reply 1686
i am finding it difficult to explain in my personal statement why i am reapplying and resitting, like what would be the near perfect sentence or two to add in my personal to explain it.
My situation:
GCSEs: 10A*'s and 2A's
AS level: 5A's first time round
A2 level: 4a's and 1B in bio, phy, maths, general studies and chem respectively
UKCAT last year 665, band 2

I had two family deaths last year in year 13, and also was living independly for two months due to family issues, it affected me to the point where i stopped attending school, i struggled very much last year, also have a backed up doctors and school note, but dont know how to mention this in my personal statement. Shall i just send a letter from school with the doctors note attached to the different unis before i send my application to UCAS, or shall i condense my personal statement even more to explain my circumstances, i dont know why but i feel thats inappropriate its like wanting a sympathy vote. i am so confused, any help would be much appreciated thankyou very much
Original post by Talkeale
Hi just wondering if anyone can give me some advice/tell me their success story?

I'm currently in my A2 year and will be taking my exams in June.
I am desperate to apply for medicine and I (unexpectedly) didn't do well at all in my AS year which was a huge set back for me. I didn't apply to medicine this year as I am predicted AAB, so I applied for BioMedical Science and have offers. But I am just hoping to do a few resits of AS modules and get AAA this year, take a gap year and apply for medicine then!

In the AS's I have continued I got BBB (two very close to A's), so I just want to know if anyone has managed to resit within the two years and how successful they were, and whether people think it is possible I will be able to get three A's?
(I got 6a*'s 5a's in GCSE btw)

In short, you certainly can :smile:

My friend got BBCC at AS and worked his mothertrucking ass off to get AAA at A2. He now has an unconditional offer from Manchester. Work hard and you can do it
Can anyone give me a realistic viewpoint on how many universities consider re-sit applicants after the initial two years of study? I am predicting I will achieve AAB and I wanted to retake my third a-level to achieve AAA which would then meet entry requirements, but having retaken would I still have an equal chance of being accepted at the universities that state they consider resit students? Also would it be possible that I'm actually more likely to get a place because I've already secured AAB and only working on one more A? I know it's wishful thinking but I really need some hope right now! :frown:
Original post by Talkeale
Hi just wondering if anyone can give me some advice/tell me their success story?

I'm currently in my A2 year and will be taking my exams in June.
I am desperate to apply for medicine and I (unexpectedly) didn't do well at all in my AS year which was a huge set back for me. I didn't apply to medicine this year as I am predicted AAB, so I applied for BioMedical Science and have offers. But I am just hoping to do a few resits of AS modules and get AAA this year, take a gap year and apply for medicine then!

In the AS's I have continued I got BBB (two very close to A's), so I just want to know if anyone has managed to resit within the two years and how successful they were, and whether people think it is possible I will be able to get three A's?
(I got 6a*'s 5a's in GCSE btw)

I got ABDD in my AS's but retook in my A2 year and achieved A*AA overall :smile: it's possible if you want it enough! Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi I am in a really difficult situation, this year I just got my results and I got AAB. And the B is in chemistry and I have no idea what to do. I really would love to study medicine, I applied to biomedicine this year because my AS results were terrible and I hoped that I would at least get the 3 As. But Clearly I am not working hard enough. At GCSE, I got 7 A*s, and 3 As.What should I do?
Hi there.

I am an 18 year old re applicant from central Scotland. I initially applied to study Medicine at 4 Scottish Universities in my Sixth Year at school but was unsuccessful in securing interviews at any of these. The Universities were ABD, DUN, EDI and GLA. At this point my Highers stood at AAAAA and I scored 2460 in the UKCAT.

In addition to this, I was:

- Head Boy of my school.
- Sport Ambassador for the School
- Committed 1000 hours volunteering in local sports clubs.
- Had one year of work experience in a GP Medical centre and odd days in the hospital environment.
- Chairman of an environmental group for five years.
- Founding member of a nature reserve management group.
- Fundraiser for a school in Cape Town, raising over £10,000 and visiting the school twice to tutor and coach.
- Peer Tutor to up to 3 local people at a time.
- Keen cyclist, training four times a week.
- Half marathon runner.

With all of this I was declined a space at Uni in 2014. At the time I was disappointed as most of my friends were heading off, and what I would be doing for the year was uncertain. However, I refocused and began to work on my application for 2015.

Now with AAAB from my Sixth Year from 3 AHs and 1 H. A job as a lifeguard and laterally being appointed as a Project Officer for a £250k budgeted community organisation, running a Tennis club, training as a Cycling Coach, starting up a marketing and design business and gaining a place as one of 16 on sports national governing bodies junior board. I resat my UKCAT and dedicated a month of preparation in advance of this, and scored 2780 - a marked increase in the year before.

This time I received three interviews and three unconditional offers for GLA DUN and ABD and received another knock back from EDI.

I have chosen to study at Glasgow University and can't wait to get started!

Any questions or advise feel free to get in touch!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, last year i left with 2As and 2Bs which wasn't enough for medical school obvi !!
i took a gap year and decided to retake some exams and reapply. I didn't get in to any schools that required higher grades but got into KCL foundation year with my grades i already achieved. my youtube maybe able to help give you all some motivation. DON'T GIVE UP !! xx

watch this
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs8DlmF0DcqmYqS4laecZtQ
Hi Guys.

I basically finished my A-Levels with A* in Psychology, B in Chemistry and a C in Biology. I had a lot of issues at the time of my exams which meant I got bad grades in my A2 modules.

Do you think its worth applying to the Medical Schools that take re-sit students on? I've done a load of work experience too and got my UKCAT in a couple weeks.

Any advice from anybody in my position?

thanks
Original post by Yasmin49
Hi Guys.

I basically finished my A-Levels with A* in Psychology, B in Chemistry and a C in Biology. I had a lot of issues at the time of my exams which meant I got bad grades in my A2 modules.

Do you think its worth applying to the Medical Schools that take re-sit students on? I've done a load of work experience too and got my UKCAT in a couple weeks.

Any advice from anybody in my position?

thanks

If med is something you really want to do then you should retake and reapply, but many universities don't accept a levels over 3 years but a few do: Liverpool, Lancaster and Exeter would be good but those are very competitive anyway which makes it harder for us :frown:

I got BBB at A2 and I'm planning on applying to those 3

But if you apply and do get rejected you can still enter clearing for anything you want to take if you don't get any offers for medicine and then maybe try graduate entry?

Or you can consider going abroad, Prague seems to be quite popular and will probably be my back up :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
how would you go about applying to medicine with full a-levels ? I only got BBD at AS , but am re-sitting modules to hopefully get at least AAA, and am planning to do 2 weeks in Thailand with Gapmedics. I was wondering which year I would have to actually plan the 2 weeks to be able to include them in a personal statement. I would get my full a-level results in the summer of 2016.
Original post by Saywhatyoumean
If med is something you really want to do then you should retake and reapply, but many universities don't accept a levels over 3 years but a few do: Liverpool, Lancaster and Exeter would be good but those are very competitive anyway which makes it harder for us :frown:

I got BBB at A2 and I'm planning on applying to those 3

But if you apply and do get rejected you can still enter clearing for anything you want to take if you don't get any offers for medicine and then maybe try graduate entry?

Or you can consider going abroad, Prague seems to be quite popular and will probably be my back up :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did liverpool say anything to you about bringing up any subjects you are retaking to an A*?
Original post by glamqueen5
Did liverpool say anything to you about bringing up any subjects you are retaking to an A*?

Yep which will be fun :P but I don't really have any other choice so yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by myyrh
Only Ucl and Oxbridge may give you hard time. Apart from that, you can resit any module as many times as you want as long as you are still completing your a level in two years I.e whilst at sixth form. You don't need extenuating circimstances. If in doubt retake, that as cushion of marks could prevent you from dropping a grade In the end. I resat c1 four times because I was paranoid and it didn't affect my chances.

I thought the majority of medical schools would not accept resit candidates unless they have extenuating circumstances?

can I ask, which medical schools did you apply to and what did they say about your resits?

many thanks in advance :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending