The Student Room Group

The Tesco thread.

Scroll to see replies

Can anyone help me please??
I went for an interview on Thurs at tescos,it was suppose to be a group then was changed to an individual. There was 2 jobs (the nights I had applied for and a deli job) there was only me and one other candidate being interviewed. I got 8/8 on 4 of the 5 senario questions and maybe 5/8 on the other so seemed to go well (or so I thought) as when I got home I got the email saying they won't be taking my application any futher no mention of the interview.
Original post by raechelle
Hello there!
I wondered if you could help me..
I've got a potential interview with Tesco and have applied many times so am excited for the opportunity.. only problem is.. I used to work at Waitrose..
I don't know the Tesco "policy" on working for other supermarkets previously.. would it hinder me to mention it? Or would it be beneficial? Any ideas?

Definitely beneficial, I don't see why that would go against you, they're rival supermarkets not blood enemies lol.
So I just applied for two jobs and on going to the Dashboard both immediately said "Unsuccessful".

Does this mean I screwed something up in the application process or do they all say that until they contact you?
Original post by Republic1
So I just applied for two jobs and on going to the Dashboard both immediately said "Unsuccessful".

Does this mean I screwed something up in the application process or do they all say that until they contact you?

You likely got a few of the questions wrong.
It trips up a lot of people during their first application to tesco.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The recruitment process with tesco is frustrating me so much now!
I went for an interview during mid August and had my right to work checks sent off. A month passed of me hearing nothing, and my application status changed to unsuccessful so I assumed I hadn't got the job. 2 weeks ago they rang me asking if I wall still interested and if I was to bring my right to work documents back in store, so I did, they were photocopies and was then told I'd be contacted soon with a start date and additional info. This was over a week ago now and I've still heard nothing, I haven't even 'officially' been told I've got the job!
Does anyone have any other experience with the process being slow? I want to ring up and ask if I've actually got the job, but then also don't want to come across as pushy.
Original post by livealove
I went for an interview during mid August and had my right to work checks sent off. A month passed of me hearing nothing, and my application status changed to unsuccessful so I assumed I hadn't got the job. 2 weeks ago they rang me asking if I wall still interested and if I was to bring my right to work documents back in store, so I did, they were photocopies and was then told I'd be contacted soon with a start date and additional info. This was over a week ago now and I've still heard nothing, I haven't even 'officially' been told I've got the job!
Does anyone have any other experience with the process being slow? I want to ring up and ask if I've actually got the job, but then also don't want to come across as pushy.

If you ever start in tescos you will find the managers sometimes take a while to get things done lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by livealove

Like any chain of stores, managers vary.
When I applied at my current store it was so quick, easy and stress free.
Although I do hear people who have applied elsewhere who have had not so good experiences.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can anyone help regarding the policy on piercings? I can't find it in my handbook.

On a whim I got a nose piercing and now I'm not sure if it's okay?
Original post by llamaspoon
Can anyone help regarding the policy on piercings? I can't find it in my handbook.

On a whim I got a nose piercing and now I'm not sure if it's okay?

I had my handbook close to hand so I just checked for you. There is a small section about piercings on page 47.
It says a small nose stud is allowed unless you work in a fresh food preparation area. :smile:
Original post by PurpleElephant
I had my handbook close to hand so I just checked for you. There is a small section about piercings on page 47.
It says a small nose stud is allowed unless you work in a fresh food preparation area. :smile:

Great, thanks. I work in an express so no worries about being in a food preparation area :smile:
Hi, I work in a Tesco doing night shifts and was wondering if I'm allowed to transfer to another tesco without good reason.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hm well according to the email i got they were unsuccessful with my transfer.
After having a look on tesco careers for jobs around my local area there were quite a few. Granted these were jobs in positions I am not trained in (picking and stock control). However I'm genuinly suprised I was not evene offered such a job as it would surely be easier to transfer an already existing employee and train them, than to hire somebody completely new.
Hello!
Had a job interview with Tesco a week or so back and was told I'd be contacted - the manager I interviewed with (it was 1 on 1) as near as told me I got the job. His reaction was really positive and he reassured me I was a good choice as well as my answers being what they were looking for.

I've got a letter to tell me I didn't get the job. I don't suppose anyone would offer any tips/insight as to why? I've actually got another job but would be helpful in the future if anyone has advice..?
Hi all,
I have recently applied at my local store via tesco a online careers page and have had my applications come up as unsuccessful as soon as I have submitted them.

Please could someone try to explain why this is as I am currently quite confused? Cheers
Original post by Red9991
Hi all,
I have recently applied at my local store via tesco a online careers page and have had my applications come up as unsuccessful as soon as I have submitted them.

Please could someone try to explain why this is as I am currently quite confused? Cheers

People who fail the questionnaire receive an automatically generated rejection email almost instantly.
Oh ok thank you this is good to know, this is a bit of a long shot but does anyone know what the correct answers are? 😂
Original post by Red9991
Oh ok thank you this is good to know, this is a bit of a long shot but does anyone know what the correct answers are? 😂

I once disclosed correct answers to interview questions, within Tesco, and got a warning from an Admin on here so I doubt anyone would bother posting them...
Hi
I just Started working on the checkouts at Tesco. I was wounding how do you get overtime ?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Emilydoctor
Hi
I just Started working on the checkouts at Tesco. I was wounding how do you get overtime ?

If you're on a flexi contract in the next few weeks when you pick up how to use the checkouts more they should just 'flex' you in when they need you. Best case is to ask your Checkout Manager or a Team Leader/Support :smile:
Original post by PurpleElephant
If you're on a flexi contract in the next few weeks when you pick up how to use the checkouts more they should just 'flex' you in when they need you. Best case is to ask your Checkout Manager or a Team Leader/Support :smile:

I see other staff getting a folder from the checkouts desk. Would this be the overtime folder ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending