The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by beckyo
I've failed twice so far and have my third test on 23rd October, any tips for staying calm? I have bad test anxiety and driving tests are just torture! Both fails were for stupid things I've never done before (going at a roundabout when a car was coming and messing up a parallel park!)

-think of it as a mock test NOT real
-if in doubt stay put and assess the situation again - who knows you may avoid a major by doing so
-PLAN AHEAD
-often driving causes us to become in a daze and see only things close to us
remember that stopping at a give way and zebra crossing although you saw it was clear a sec ago may be useful to re-assess the situation
-KEEP at IT, even if you fail because if you keep your faith and know that you CAN drive you can do it... just remember that you are on the test because you are test worthy and also know that you are not alone, a lot of people fail and also people say that if you fail a number of times and then pass then it makes you a better driver.
So just know that you are special- in a good way and it just makes the moment of passing a more sweeter experience as someone once told me.
GOOD LUCK ALL
I failed 2 time today and I just angry at my self because I've been driving sins last year and it's almost been 1 year now sisns I've been taking lesson.
Original post by driverboy133
I failed 2 time today and I just angry at my self because I've been driving sins last year and it's almost been 1 year now sisns I've been taking lesson.

Why did you fail?
Original post by beckyo
I've failed twice so far and have my third test on 23rd October, any tips for staying calm? I have bad test anxiety and driving tests are just torture! Both fails were for stupid things I've never done before (going at a roundabout when a car was coming and messing up a parallel park!)

I've failed twice too and have my third same date as you! Here's hoping we pass this time. I have no tips for staying calm unfortunately as I am exactly the same 😁 good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5124
Two weeks ago, i posted on here about failing my test, but now....I'VE FINALLY PASSED 2nd time! Yay!

Any advice I would give is to choose a test time in the morning when its not as busy. I feel like when its busy, you get distracted a lot more. In the morning, I definitely felt more at ease since most roads were clear.

Good luck to everyone! Eventually you will all pass!
Congrats! Got mine next week🙈
I take my FOURTH driving test next week!
Hopefully I'll pass this time so I never have to set foot in a drivers seat again!
I hate driving so much :smile:
Original post by Slimewizard
I take my FOURTH driving test next week!
Hopefully I'll pass this time so I never have to set foot in a drivers seat again!
I hate driving so much :smile:

If you don't want to drive, why are you even learning to drive/taking a test?
I failed first time because we were driving along, doing well, then he smacks his clipboard on the dashboard and shouts 'Look out there's a small child in the road' and I said 'No there isn't' and carried on driving.
The second time we stopped at a red light and he says 'proceed as you normally would' so I gave it a bootful :s-smilie:
Third time I passed but I didn't see it as a pass so much as an acknowledgement of my supreme driving ability. When he said the words "Congratulations, you've passed" that translated to me as "Mr M you are THE BEST driver in the world.
So imagine my confusion 18 hours later to find myself upside down in a field off the motorway surrounded by sheep and a smashed windscreen :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by DMcGovern
I failed first time because we were driving along, doing well, then he smacks his clipboard on the dashboard and shouts 'Look out there's a small child in the road' and I said 'No there isn't' and carried on driving.
The second time we stopped at a red light and he says 'proceed as you normally would' so I gave it a bootful :s-smilie:
Third time I passed but I didn't see it as a pass so much as an acknowledgement of my supreme driving ability. When he said the words "Congratulations, you've passed" that translated to me as "Mr M you are THE BEST driver in the world.
So imagine my confusion 18 hours later to find myself upside down in a field off the motorway surrounded by sheep and a smashed windscreen :biggrin: :biggrin:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Would you expect to fail if you used the inner lane of a roundabout (a two lane roundabout) to go straight over the roundabout at 180 degrees , second exit. ( I indicated correctly ( to leave the roundabout etc), and all observations were all correct and I crossed the busy roundabout smoothly). I'm asking this as my examiner told me off about it at the end of the test and gave me a minor fault for it but my friend said I was lucky to not get a major for it?
Reply 5131
Original post by Chemi5try
Would you expect to fail if you used the inner lane of a roundabout (a two lane roundabout) to go straight over the roundabout at 180 degrees , second exit. ( I indicated correctly ( to leave the roundabout etc), and all observations were all correct and I crossed the busy roundabout smoothly). I'm asking this as my examiner told me off about it at the end of the test and gave me a minor fault for it but my friend said I was lucky to not get a major for it?

That's impossible to say, as it does depend on the lane markings. If the markings say you can go straight on in that lane then it wouldn't be a major (unless you did additional things wrong), but it is best to stay in the leftest lane possible. So if the left lane is also marked for going straight on, and nobody else is using it, then it would be correct to get a minor if you don't use that.

Do be aware though that sometimes the left lane is for left only, and sometimes the right lane is right only. So you need to check the markings, as if you go straight from either of these that would be a major.
Original post by Juno
That's impossible to say, as it does depend on the lane markings. If the markings say you can go straight on in that lane then it wouldn't be a major (unless you did additional things wrong), but it is best to stay in the leftest lane possible. So if the left lane is also marked for going straight on, and nobody else is using it, then it would be correct to get a minor if you don't use that.

Do be aware though that sometimes the left lane is for left only, and sometimes the right lane is right only. So you need to check the markings, as if you go straight from either of these that would be a major.

Before the roundabout right up until the roundabout, there were three lanes. One on the left for going left, one in the middle for going straight on, and one in the right for going right. Once you get to the roundabout the number of lanes reduced to two however. I used the inside lane of the two to go straight on?

it's pure luck but I would've imagined you'd get a major for that for lane positioning, but well done for getting a minor
Reply 5134
Before the roundabout right up until the roundabout, there were three lanes. One on the left for going left, one in the middle for going straight on, and one in the right for going right. Once you get to the roundabout the number of lanes reduced to two however. I used the inside lane of the two to go straight on?

You've missed some signage somewhere - there may be lane markings on the road, or an actual sign telling you. But without seeing the junction nobody would be able to say exactly.

It's very unusual that this would happen right on top of the junction, as things are generally sorted out early to cause less confusion. It might be that you might have been able to do it correctly if you had gone slightly slower, as that would have given you more time. Badly designed junctions do exist, though, so you might have found one, but it is something to consider.
Reply 5135
today was my test.i took total 10 lessons before the test.

Test centre - southall
Total faults- 4 ,3 minor and 1 major.

major one was for staying the car in the wrong lane otherwise everything was alright.she told me to do parellel parking and emergency stop.
i am very disappointed.... she could ignore that mistake and could let me pass :/

now i have to wait for 1 n half month for another test.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kapz02
today was my test.i took total 10 lessons before the test.

Test centre - southall
Total faults- 4 ,3 minor and 1 major.

major one was for staying the car in the wrong lane otherwise everything was alright.she told me to do parellel parking and emergency stop.
i am very disappointed.... she could ignore that mistake and could let me pass :/

now i have to wait for 1 n half month for another test.

Which roundabouts did you do? I did mine at southall. And which lane was this?
I've finally passed!

Those who fail more tests are better drivers in some cases because they receive more instruction, more lessons more practice etc
Reply 5138
it was ruilslip 2nd exit from roundabout. n i was in wrong lane during passing the junction & it was very near to test centre.
Original post by Transitvan
I've finally passed!

Those who fail more tests are better drivers in some cases because they receive more instruction, more lessons more practice etc

Not necessarily, like you said it's down to how many lessons they've had. Someone could take 100 lessons and pass their test first time and be a better driver than someone who had 20 lessons in total and took their test 3 times. But well done either way :smile:

Original post by kapz02
it was ruilslip 2nd exit from roundabout. n i was in wrong lane during passing the junction & it was very near to test centre.

Do you mean Lady Margaret roundabout...?

Latest

Trending

Trending