The Student Room Group

jobs with a politics degree

soon to be embarking on a politics degree, could someone detail possible job opportunities one could use this degree for. i.e industry, positions, salary. all info and advice is important.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
1. Should be in the Careers forum.

2. You seem to expect a golden platter served to you detailing all the available opportunities. For goodness sake, take the initiative and go out to search yourself, just like everyone else out there.

Nobody's going to share their fish with you.
Reply 2
Call centre operator, yeah!
Reply 3
Browneyedboi
soon to be embarking on a politics degree, could someone detail possible job opportunities one could use this degree for. i.e industry, positions, salary. all info and advice is important.

Depends on your degree classification and to some extent which uni you went to. You could work anywhere, in public or private sector, depends what you want to do. For instance you could be a poltical researcher, or you could go into business.
The Times uni guide has politics graduates starting salary at around 18k if you are in a graduate job.
Reply 4
I've got a training contract with a law firm and will start on 33k or something, this is after two years more study though.

Friends are generally doing MA's, travelling, going into politics based careers. Pretty standard stuff.

Much depends on university and degree class.
Reply 5
Cleaner at Westminister?
Reply 6
Depends what your interested in - possibilities are endless really.
Reply 7
Are there any kind of jobs that specifically or help a lot if you ahve this kind of degree?
Reply 8
repeat after me - would you like fries with that?
Reply 9

it will be fries with that for him if hes deciding on embarking on a degree he has no idea what job he wants after.
Reply 10
El Scotto

it will be fries with that for him if hes deciding on embarking on a degree he has no idea what job he wants after.

What a load of crap, loads of people have no idea what they want to do when they start uni, and of those that do probably most end up doing something different. You have a long time whilst at uni to figure out what to do, loads of people for example become successful lawyers having only decided on law after graduating. For something like banking you ideally need to know in your penultimate year to do an internship. But stop talking crap.
"For something like banking you ideally need to know in your penultimate year to do an internship. But stop talking crap."

if i wanted to get into banking (again) i woulldn't have taken politics - would you?
Reply 12
Ferrus
Call centre operator, yeah!

Is studying a politics degree.

Is working in a call centre.

GO ME!
dr_fred_bob
"For something like banking you ideally need to know in your penultimate year to do an internship. But stop talking crap."

if i wanted to get into banking (again) i woulldn't have taken politics - would you?

Not true...I know a lot of people (myself included) who want to go for banking but studied politics.

Anyway I think politics is a good degree, it requires a great deal of analytical skill. If you get a politics degree at a good university I think you can go into whatever you want: finance, accounting, law (conversion course), journalism/media, civil service, non-profit sector, etc.
Reply 14
I didn't know what I wanted to do until I started my degree.

When I was interviewed I was asked what job I'd like to get onto with my degree, and I told them I had no idea, and that I hoped speaking to older students and to the careers service I'd get an idea of the outlets for my course, and the opportunities that present themselves. Lo and behold, most of my 4th year friends are graduating, and now I'm facing the decision between the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, and a post with an international aid agency. It's all going to depend on the work experience I can get next summer.

Long story short: it doesn't matter if you don't know now, as long as you take every opportunity at uni to find out what is possible. Politics leaves you with a lot of options, so try them all!

Good luck!
Reply 15
Job opportunities arent great for politicians as they aren't vocational unless you want to work in politics. Perhaps though telesales or a secretary for example would be suitable jobs. Retail could be good, how do you like selling things? I mean what with your political skills I'm sure you could sell a few clothes in a department store no trouble!!
Reply 16
telesales?

are you a politics student? you don't seem to have a clue.
Reply 17
stupanico
Job opportunities arent great for politicians as they aren't vocational unless you want to work in politics. Perhaps though telesales or a secretary for example would be suitable jobs. Retail could be good, how do you like selling things? I mean what with your political skills I'm sure you could sell a few clothes in a department store no trouble!!

Are you just being purposefully stupid? How many 'vocational' degrees can you actually name? Medicine...Physio...Nursing...any more?

Politics degrees give you exactly the same prospects as English, History, American Studies, Classics, Sociology etc etc. If anything Politics has a minor advantage if wanting to go into the financial sector because studying it demands an interest in the wider world and current affairs which is useful for 'commercial awareness'.
Reply 18
Accounting, Engineering (all types of), education, architecture, chemistry, biology, physics, languages can be vocational, economics to name but a few. There are loads of science subjects argo, bio etc.

Business, economics and finance degrees would show more commercial awareness and quantitative skills as well as essay writing etc. Who really is proud of being a politician in this day and age? No one likes politicians.
CityTrader
What a load of crap, loads of people have no idea what they want to do when they start uni, and of those that do probably most end up doing something different. You have a long time whilst at uni to figure out what to do, loads of people for example become successful lawyers having only decided on law after graduating. For something like banking you ideally need to know in your penultimate year to do an internship. But stop talking crap.

Exactly. I've done a BA, an MA, and had a year travelling in between and I'm still not sure exactly what career I want to have. Neither do many of my friends, even those who have now found employment.

Quick Reply

Latest