The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5140
i have booked 7th dec but i want to chage my practical date earlier if possible. if anyone want to extend the test date please inform me.
thank you.
Reply 5141
Do you mean Lady Margaret roundabout...?

sorry,i dont know the name of roundabout..i am new in this city.
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Not necessarily, like you said it's down to how many lessons they've had. Someone could take 100 lessons and pass their test first time and be a better driver than someone who had 20 lessons in total and took their test 3 times. But well done either way :smile:

Do you mean Lady Margaret roundabout...?

Thanks and yes your right that's true down to thelessons.

However how many people would take 100 lessons or even 80 or 60 lessons before attempting their first test, a lot of people want to be passed quick and want to take as less lessons as possible so those people who do that, due to failing they end up taking more lessons and become better drivers in the process
Original post by Transitvan
I've finally passed!

Those who fail more tests are better drivers in some cases because they receive more instruction, more lessons more practice etc

Not really... It's down to the instructor more than anything if you ask me, a good driver can adapt to each car, good instructors will teach universal methods of driving. Things like always using the gas when setting off, applying the handbrake properly, not having you rely on reference points specific to their car, ect...

A bad instructor may just be teaching you to pass your test, not how to drive properly, because of this they will teach you bad habits, things that are just flat out wrong and even teach you to do things that can be fatal. Things like setting off with just the clutch, always pressing the handbrake release button when applying it, having you rely on reference points and technology in the car (hill start assist for example), always do clutch then brake (a huge no no, can end with fatal results), ect...

A team is only as strong as its weakest link, more lessons can make you a better driver right off the bat, but only if your instructor is good and teaching you correctly.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Transitvan
I've finally passed!

Those who fail more tests are better drivers in some cases because they receive more instruction, more lessons more practice etc

Congrats :biggrin:
Failed first time today. 1 major.

Was very annoying. I had a police car with sirens, lights and everything speeding up behind me as I was approaching a mini roundabout.

I was supposed to pull over immediately (before I entered the roundabout) but what I decided to do was quickly cross it first then pull over. Reason being was because I didn't think there was enough space for it to get through if I had pulled over before the roundabout as there was a car parked adjacent to me on the other side of the road.

They better have had their lights and siren on for a good reason.
Original post by Tedarien
Failed first time today. 1 major.

Was very annoying. I had a police car with sirens, lights and everything speeding up behind me as I was approaching a mini roundabout.

I was supposed to pull over immediately (before I entered the roundabout) but what I decided to do was quickly cross it first then pull over. Reason being was because I didn't think there was enough space for it to get through if I had pulled over before the roundabout as there was a car parked adjacent to me on the other side of the road.

They better have had their lights and siren on for a good reason.

Nah, they just rush around with lights and sirens for a laugh. :rolleyes:
Failed today for the first time. I had 2 majors and plenty of minors.

It was the nerves more than anything. I just get so nervous during test conditions.

Oh well though. Whatever happens, happens. :dontknow:

I've been following this thread for ages. I knew my time would come to post in it one day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5148
Failed on first test today with 8 minors and 2 majors the minors where mostly for mirrors and signalling apparently even tho i felt my signals and mirror checks where spot on but I took my test during rush hour BIG MISTAKE the drivers are crazy at rush hour 1 of my major was as I was about to signal to come off a roundabout someone pulled right up on the inside of me trying to get into where I was going she said i was going round the roundabout to slow but if this had have been at any other time during the day apart from rush hour it would have been fine my other major was waiting at a crossroads to turn right with a constant flow of traffic one lady seemed to slow down as if to let me go as I pulled away she came hurtling towards me causing me to brake sharply my examiner was on the war path after that lol but to be honest im just going to use the test as experience of what not to do next time but the whole do you go do you not Go thing really has me confused like others have said if you go you may cause a dangerous situation if you don't go your being hesitant I really do think most of your driving test comes to pure luck that you don't run into any incidents on the road.

I have another test booked for November
I failed my first driving test yesterday with 2 majors and 7 faults, I'm so annoyed! I've got my own car, so was ready to start driving, and because I live away from home now (I go to uni) its going to be hard to practice!! I've booked another test for January, hope I pass then.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by rallen97
I failed my first driving test today with 2 majors and 7 faults, I'm so annoyed! I've got my own car, so was ready to start driving, and because I live away from home now (I go to uni) its going to be hard to practice!! I've booked another test for January, hope I pass then.

:frown:
What were the majors in?
Original post by InadequateJusticex
:frown:
What were the majors in?

Position and change of direction, they were both done on roundabouts! Apparently I didn't move into the correct lane in time and I think it was position on the roundabout aswell. I had 5 roundabouts and reverse round a corner on my test, probably the worst test I could think of!
Original post by D tone
Failed on first test today with 8 minors and 2 majors the minors where mostly for mirrors and signalling apparently even tho i felt my signals and mirror checks where spot on but I took my test during rush hour BIG MISTAKE the drivers are crazy at rush hour 1 of my major was as I was about to signal to come off a roundabout someone pulled right up on the inside of me trying to get into where I was going she said i was going round the roundabout to slow but if this had have been at any other time during the day apart from rush hour it would have been fine my other major was waiting at a crossroads to turn right with a constant flow of traffic one lady seemed to slow down as if to let me go as I pulled away she came hurtling towards me causing me to brake sharply my examiner was on the war path after that lol but to be honest im just going to use the test as experience of what not to do next time but the whole do you go do you not Go thing really has me confused like others have said if you go you may cause a dangerous situation if you don't go your being hesitant I really do think most of your driving test comes to pure luck that you don't run into any incidents on the road.

I have another test booked for November

Hate people like that! Had a similar thing happen to me in one of my tests.

With the bit about when to go, try to drive around at different types to experience all types of traffic. Thats what I did (6 weeks before my test in my dad's car) and I would drive a lot, going around the test routes and trying to get into situations like that so I could practise with those types of situations.
One thing about the test is that you need to try to predict what other drivers are doing. Like the lady who slowed slightly, you would have to keep an eye on her to see if she really is letting you go or she is generally slowing down (for her own reasons). It is better to wait until you think it is safe though. The examiner won't give you a minor for hesitation if you are waiting for a long time and there are no safe spots for you to turn/get on a roundabout. I once waited what felt like ages to get on a roundabout, in my head I was worrying I was hesitating but I waited until I saw a big enough gap and went when I felt like it was safe. I didn't get any minors for hesitation for that :smile: Just remember getting safely onto the road is more important than waiting a little longer to get there.

Good luck for next time :smile:
I passed my driving test about 4 months ago. 2 months prior to passing I failed my first test. Basically it was because i was nervous! In the second test I was far more relaxed and cruised through it.

Anyway, I failed my first test with one major, probably should of been an dangerous tbh, and 5 minors. The examiner took me on an unfamiliar route with lots of country lanes. As I was blasting through these lanes at like 40mph, (national speed limit is 60 for these roads) I scraped the curb on my back tyre as the road got pretty narrow. It wasnt such a big deal, the examiner never even marked me down for it. Obviously at the time I was panicking, thought I had failed and such. So much so I hardly realised that this country lane was nearly finished and it spewed me out at this junction. He told me to go right, i had a quick look and pulled across one lane and then turned right. OMG. Wrong way. This is a no entry. This is a two laned one way road that I had to cross over before turning right. Welp. Fail... I always find it mildy amusing and scary that from that point to the end of the test (like 5 minutes) I have no recollection of driving back to the test center. hahaha.

Moral of the story. Not everyone passes first time. No biggie. Chill out, the examiner doesnt care about you or your life, just drive :smile: If you make a mistake just carry on and chill. Also when approaching an unfamiliar junction take time to study the area. Look out for signs, road markings and ask if youre not sure.

Now i've passed and have my own car which i drive into town every day in rush hour traffic I encounter all sorts of things that annoy me.
1: Tail gaiters. I'm doing the speed limit, maybe even over it slightly. Go away...
2: Not indicating which way they're going then acting frustrated that I didn't let them in.
3: Not making it clear if youre letting me in or not letting me in.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Bern Herkins

Now i've passed and have my own car which i drive into town every day in rush hour traffic I encounter all sorts of things that annoy me.
1: Tail gaiters. I'm doing the speed limit, maybe even over it slightly. Go away...
2: Not indicating which way they're going then acting frustrated that I didn't let them in.
3: Not making it clear if youre letting me in or not letting me in.

HATE those type of people!! I always get them behind me getting mad for doing the speed limit :colonhash: Especially at night when the roads a little emptier, they would drive in the opposite lane to overtake me so they can continue doing 40-50mph on the 30mph road
Just booked my 5th test but I have really bad anxiety and just thinking about it makes me feel sick/nervous. I always feel really ill on the day of the test and get little to no sleep the night before because I stress so much. I really can't see myself passing but not being able to drive is also affecting my life quite badly.

I took a months break after my 4th test as advised by my instructor, and now I'm taking one lesson a week until my test in November. On the day of my last test I actually felt like throwing up before the test :s-smilie:
Original post by ThunderRock
Just booked my 5th test but I have really bad anxiety and just thinking about it makes me feel sick/nervous. I always feel really ill on the day of the test and get little to no sleep the night before because I stress so much. I really can't see myself passing but not being able to drive is also affecting my life quite badly.

I took a months break after my 4th test as advised by my instructor, and now I'm taking one lesson a week until my test in November. On the day of my last test I actually felt like throwing up before the test :s-smilie:

I believe this is a normal feeling. There were occasions where I felt like throwing up before lessons and tests. Just keep at it. Once you have passed, presuming you don't drive irresponsibly, you will never have to go through the lessons and tests ever again.

I used to think about my driving lessons none stop for about 6 months from starting them till the end. Literally two days after passing my test and theyre all just a memory. :smile: Keep going and good luck
Original post by Bern Herkins
I believe this is a normal feeling. There were occasions where I felt like throwing up before lessons and tests. Just keep at it. Once you have passed, presuming you don't drive irresponsibly, you will never have to go through the lessons and tests ever again.

I used to think about my driving lessons none stop for about 6 months from starting them till the end. Literally two days after passing my test and theyre all just a memory. :smile: Keep going and good luck

Thank you and congrats on your pass! I feel like I'm a good driver in lessons but I go to bits in the test. The first few months after I pass I will try to have someone in the car with me at all times, until I get used to it. All of my 4 tests have been at 10.14 and I've failed each one (2 with only 1 minor and 1 major) - I guess it's time to change to a later hour?
Well failed today for the first time, was so gutted, I actually cried on the way home in the car. My instructor had been telling me I would breeze through it and that I didn't need to be nervous. Tbh it was mostly the fault of nerves and this was mainly due to the fact that I was taken on a route I have never driven before for the most part which consisted of steep hills, narrow roads and bends and double mini roundabouts. Messed up very soon in. Also has anyone ever had to do a parallel park on a curved road before, because I freaking did and it was hell on earth for me! Next test in December as it is the soonest I could book. My lovely new car is waiting to be driven and I just feel crappy in general. Next time I need to find a way to bribe a deity into granting me endless reems of luck.
Original post by ThunderRock

Try to do mock tests with your instructor while you pretend its real so you get a bit more used to it and calmer :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending