Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of glasgow 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jillian27
I got AABC and predicted AAA. Yeah hopefully :smile:
Will Glasgow be your first choice?

I'm not sure, I haven't actually been to visit it yet but everyone says its really nice! I really liked KCL and UCL too but tbh I'm just so happy I've got an offer! Where else have you applied for?
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Really? 😃 congrats! I have foreign grades, but I think they roughly translate to the same as yours, just sent in my application for politics 😖
Reply 42
I got an offer for public and social policy (AAB) recently :smile:
Got an offer for Sociology and Politics for 38 points :smile:
Reply 44
Got an offer for theology, asking for AB :smile:
I've received an offer for Psychology :u:
Reply 46
Original post by kuncan97
Has anyone got any info on halls?

The main hall people stay in is Murano, which is self-catered and has shared bathrooms. There's 5 people and 12 people flats so the larger flats have two bathrooms between them and have an extra fridge in the kitchen. Space is quite cramped when flats there are full, even more so if you're having people round! Overall, they're pretty much standard for student accommodation, not particularly nice and a little bit grotty but it's where most students live and it's good for parties. It's a little way out from the uni but nothing is ever really that far from the uni.

There's Cairncross, which isn't flats and instead is corridors and most rooms are shared. The kitchens there are shared between a lot of people but inside is fairly nice, again just sort of what you would expect from uni accommodation although it's nicer than Murano in my opinion. About 10-15 minutes walk from the uni in the opposite direction to Murano and also really close to Sainsburys which is obviously good if you're wanting to do food shopping.

I've literally never met anyone staying in Student Apartments but from older years I've heard that they're not that great and most rooms are shared so that's something to consider. It's literally like two minutes away from the uni though so that's a pretty big perk.

Queen Margaret is self catered and ensuite and located at the same place as Murano. These are really nice in my opinion and if you don't mind paying a little bit more for an ensuite, I'd definitely consider applying here. It's laid out in flat again but I think you only get about 6 people in each one but someone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Firhill is pretty similar to Queen Margaret and is only over the road. The building is managed by an outside company but as far as I'm aware that makes no difference to the way the building works.

Wolfson is the only catered hall and I'd really strongly advise against applying there. I know some people who are there and they hate it because it's so expensive, it's quite far away from the uni and you have to eat your meals at set times and you're not provided with a kitchen if you did want to cook for yourself. If you don't apply until late on, you're likely to be given this hall, especially if it's after results day.

There's also a postgrad hall, Maclay, that offers two blocks of undergrad accommodation generally a year because Glasgow doesn't have enough undergrad accommodation most of the time. It's really nice though and if you get put there, please don't fear because it's postgrad! I currently live there and it's in a really good location for getting to uni (it's a street or two away from Cairncross) and it's in really good condition since it is postgrad. You're also really close to Tesco which is a bonus.

There's also a student shuttle bus that runs between all accommodations and uni at set times which you're welcome to get but it's kind of unreliable and doesn't show up sometimes.
Original post by emcat
I've literally never met anyone staying in Student Apartments but from older years I've heard that they're not that great and most rooms are shared so that's something to consider. It's literally like two minutes away from the uni though so that's a pretty big perk.

I'm staying in student apartments this year and I love it! My room is massive (its bigger than my living room at home!) It is a shared room but that hasn't been a problem at all! Actually, though, half of the rooms here are single rooms. There's 3 lovely clean bathrooms between 10 people more than enough! In fact, the building just got renovated this year so we have the newest kitchens/bathrooms out of everyone :smile: they say it's "student houses" for first years but it's actually flat's within a lovely old house. We're less than 5 min walk to all my classes so I always get a lie in, which is great. There's always people willing to come out to town and we have flat parties most weekends. However, it's actually nice and quiet during the week (just as well because I'm constantly doing work!), although I have been out a couple of times on week days and had a flat party last Wednesday. I can't recommend it enough, though! I've become great friends with everyone in my flat and the others in the building, and it's great fun! The shared rooms are actually the best because they're so big and have nice views of the similar houses across the street. The only fault I can think of is that it's difficult to get a taxi back here after a Saturday night out and it's a bit far from town to be a nice walk, but I imagine it's the same at all the halls as they're all in the west end. If anyone has any other questions then do ask!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
Original post by isabelles
I'm staying in student apartments this year and I love it! My room is massive (its bigger than my living room at home!) It is a shared room but that hasn't been a problem at all! Actually, though, half of the rooms here are single rooms. There's 3 lovely clean bathrooms between 10 people more than enough! In fact, the building just got renovated this year so we have the newest kitchens/bathrooms out of everyone :smile: they say it's "student houses" for first years but it's actually flat's within a lovely old house. We're less than 5 min walk to all my classes so I always get a lie in, which is great. There's always people willing to come out to town and we have flat parties most weekends. However, it's actually nice and quiet during the week (just as well because I'm constantly doing work!), although I have been out a couple of times on week days and had a flat party last Wednesday. I can't recommend it enough, though! I've become great friends with everyone in my flat and the others in the building, and it's great fun! The shared rooms are actually the best because they're so big and have nice views of the similar houses across the street. The only fault I can think of is that it's difficult to get a taxi back here after a Saturday night out and it's a bit far from town to be a nice walk, but I imagine it's the same at all the halls as they're all in the west end. If anyone has any other questions then do ask!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for giving an alternate point of view! Like I said, I haven't met anyone staying at Student Apartments this year so everything I said was just based on what third years have said who may not be the most reliable source considering it's been 2 years since they stayed in accommodation.
Got an unconditional for Biochemistry last night! Yay.
Reply 50
Got an offer for Genetics for AAB last night :smile: still hoping to get onto a veterinary course instead, of course, but so glad to have an offer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone applying for law at Glasgow?
Got an unconditional for Chemistry about an hour ago :groovy:! Am very relieved and chuffed to have an offer :biggrin:
Reply 53
Hello! I'm an international student (USA) and I applied September 15th, and got my offer 2 days later on the 17th. Unconditional for Economic/Politics with only three 4's on AP's and a 32 on my ACT :smile:
Reply 54
Original post by erod47
Hello! I'm an international student (USA) and I applied September 15th, and got my offer 2 days later on the 17th. Unconditional for Economic/Politics with only three 4's on AP's and a 32 on my ACT :smile:

Congrat!!! I haven't applied yet, will do it later soon. I've just been the uni openday and I love it , I think I will go for this uni.
Reply 55
Original post by eeyore_17
Got an offer a couple of days ago to do medical engineering for AAB, is anyone else doing this course?:smile:

Congrat!!! I haven't apply yet but I really want to go for this course at this uni . My A-level grades are AAB, I hope there is no problems with it.
Original post by erod47

Congrats! I have an offer as well for the same course :smile: where else have you sent your application?
So excited and nervous! :biggrin: I received an interview for BSc Hons in Adult Nursing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Congrats guys! If anyone has any questions about biology courses feel free to drop me a message :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Hey just wondering if anyone knows about the revision period before exams? Are there lectures or is it just a week to revise alone? I am an exchange student going to Glasgow for the spring semester in January

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending