The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by DFranklin
My recollection of looking at this was that this question was in a completely different league from the other items on the list and even a half-way rigourous answer was extremely tricky to obtain.

I'm really not sure what they are after on this one.

I enjoyed doing the question, quite analysis-y, in a certain sense, but formalising it was a real pain and I just couldn't quite finish it off.
Reply 41
Test 2, Question 3

Hint

Consider the relationship between the coefficients of a polynomial and its roots.

Solution

Suppose four points on the curve are collinear along line y=mx+c. Then their x-coordinates are the roots of the equation

2x^4 +7x^3 + 3x -5 -mx - c =0

or

2x^4 +7x^3 + (3-m)x - (5+c) = 0

The sum of the roots of this polynomial is hence -7/2, giving the roots an average, k, of -7/8.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by -Gifted-
Thanks a ton, it makes sense to me. However, I used conservation of mechanical energy, but that yielded a different result where the velocity doesn't cancel out. Let me scan it.
To confirm other comments: in this scenario momentum is conserved but energy isn't.
Reply 43
Specimen Test 2, Question 1:

Hints:

Spoiler

Solution:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Another solution to 9:

Spoiler

Reply 45
Test 2, Question 4:

Hints:

Spoiler

Solution:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
Specimen Test 2, Question 1:

Hints:

Spoiler

Solution:

Spoiler

Alternative:

Spoiler

Reply 47
Original post by DFranklin
Alternative:

Spoiler

That's interesting, thanks for that. :smile:

It's a good technique as well, for inequalities that have one quantity being much bigger/smaller than the other, you should make use of all the extra room to your advantage. Although I always have trouble knowing what to do initially that will get me what I want down the road.
Specimen Test 1, Question 10:

Hints:

Spoiler

Solution Part 1:

Spoiler

Solution Part 2:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by edothero
Specimen Test 1, Question 10:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 50
Test 2, Question 2:

Hints:

Spoiler

Solution:

Part 1:

Spoiler

Part 2:

Spoiler

Specimen Test 2, Question 6

Hint:

Spoiler

Solution -

First Part:

Spoiler

Second Part:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 52
Specimen 2, Q7

Hint

(x-1) is a factor of x^n -1 always.
When is (x+1) a factor of x^n+1?

Solution

Unless otherwise stated, assume all new constants are positive integers.

Suppose p = a^n - 1.
Then p = (a-1)(a^n-1 + ... + 1)

So p is composite unless a-1 = 1 (as the second bracket is greater or equal to the first), so a=2.

So p = 2^n - 1.

Suppose n is composite, i.e. n=cd, with neither c or d less than 2.

Then p =l 2^(cd) -1 = (2^c)^d -1 = (2^c -1)(2^(cd-c) + ... +1)

As c>1, p is thus composite. So n cannot be composite - in other words, n is prime.

- - -

Let q = a^n + 1. We seek the conditions in which q is prime.

If a is 1, then q is clearly always prime.

If a is an odd integer greater than 1, then a^n is odd, so q is even (and not 2) hence it is never prime in this case.

If a is an even integer, then if n is odd and greater than 1, q=(a+1)(a^n-1 - ... +1). q is thus never prime as a+1 > 1.

If a is an even integer, then if n is even but has an odd factor r where r>1, and n=rs, then q = a^(rs) +1 = (a^s)^r + 1 = (a^s+1)(a^rs-s... +1) and so q is never prime.

This leaves the only possibility as when a is even, and n is even and has no odd factors > 1, i.e. n is a non-negative integer power of two. Examples of this would be
2^4 +1 =17, 6^1+1 = 7, 6^2 +1 =37.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Specimen Test 1, Question 1:

Solution 1:

Spoiler

Solution 2:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Specimen 2, q8

Hint:

Spoiler

Solution:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 55
Test 2, Q10

Hints

Might be worth considering energy.

Solution

For the particle to rest, friction must exceed the restoring force. So F>kx, i.e. x< F/k.

For the second part, consider energy. Call the excursion at the start of the halfcycle x0, and the excursion at the end x1. We want to find x0 - x1.

Initially, the energy in the spring is 0.5k(x0)^2. It then loses F*(x0+x1) of energy to friction. It finally has 0.5k(x1)^2 of energy.

So k(x0)^2 = 2F(x0+x1) + k(x1)^2
k(x0-x1)(x0+x1) = 2F(x0+x1)
k(x0-x1)=2F
x0-x1 = 2F/k
, as required.

To discuss the motion, you could say that the particle oscillates about the point at which the spring is anchored, with decreasing amplitude as time goes on until it comes to a stop (as soon as the amplitude falls below F/k).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by Krollo
Test 2, Q10
x

My mechanics is a little rusty, but would the 'discuss' basically just be damped SHM?

Edit: Stop doing maths and enjoy your vacation! :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 57
Original post by Zacken
My mechanics is a little rusty, but would the 'discuss' basically just be damped SHM?

Edit: Stop doing maths and enjoy your vacation! :tongue:

Yes, I think, but I can't imagine it would be expected.

And I am enjoying my holiday - I'm doing maths, of course. :-)
Specimen Paper 2, Question 9:
Caveat - my probability is a bit weak and I'm not convinced about the last part.
Also succinct notation was a pain.

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Krollo
Test 2, Q10

Hints

Might be worth considering energy.

Solution

For the particle to rest, friction must exceed the restoring force. So F>kx, i.e. x< F/k.

For the second part, consider energy. Call the excursion at the start of the halfcycle x0, and the excursion at the end x1. We want to find x0 - x1.

Initially, the energy in the spring is 0.5k(x0)^2. It then loses F*(x0+x1) of energy to friction. It finally has 0.5k(x1)^2 of energy.

So k(x0)^2 = 2F(x0+x1) + k(x1)^2
k(x0-x1)(x0+x1) = 2F(x0+x1)
k(x0-x1)=2F
x0-x1 = 2F/k
, as required.

To discuss the motion, you could say that the particle oscillates about the point at which the spring is anchored, with decreasing amplitude as time goes on until it comes to a stop (as soon as the amplitude falls below F/k).

Some further thoughts (I don't have a complete solution):

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending