The Student Room Group

TSR Physics Society

Scroll to see replies

i wanted to be an astronaut! i never thought of aeronautical engineering, is that just about space craft building or anything that flies. I don't think i'd be very good at practicals anyway so physics was better for me.
Reply 281
Hey, I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but here goes anyway!

For A-level Physics with the WJEC board, what is the best physics textbook to use?

Basically, what textbooks do you recommend for an a-level Physics course?
hey i did WJEC...i didn't use any textbook sorry can't give u any tips.
i think theres some posted on the Recomended Physics Reading thread.
Reply 283
How did you do in PH5?
PH 5 ....i got 81/90

why do u ask? u done ur AS?
^ stupid question u said ur doing A level ok
Reply 285
I got 48/90 in PH4.

24/90 in PH5.

Now you know why I need a textbook.
Reply 286
Oh, and it would probably be advisable to actually revise this time.
well i'd advice loads of practice questions...past papers...do ur teachers give you much?
theres a revision website, i don't think its specifically for any board...
www.scool.co.uk
you can PM me with anything and i'll see if i can help:smile:
Reply 289
yeah that looks just maths...where are you going to study Maya???
Reply 290
Oooops Well it's physics with maths at Bath, should have mentioned that before. :smile:
Reply 291
I believe aeronatucal engineering is about all aspects of flight, planes to space craft, just about to start my personal statement so i really need to figure out which of these subjects :|
Reply 292
Here's my PS, i guess it might help:

I like physics because I enjoy learning how the universe works, particularly when modelled using elegant mathematics. I am especially interested in the way this knowledge can improve our lives, and, as a consequence, hope one day to work alongside doctors, engineers, and other scientists in a medical environment. I have therefore arranged to shadow a medical physicist during the Easter holidays in order to learn more about what this would involve.

I enjoy my time at school and feel my A-levels complement each other well. I find physics and mathematics especially interesting as I have long enjoyed the challenge of problem-solving. In addition, I look forward to practical lessons in chemistry and physics as I like to see how theory compares to experiment, and how certain phenomena (such as interference patterns) described in textbooks appear in real life. I am hoping that taking the Advanced Extension award in physics will help me develop a deeper, more synthetic understanding of the subject than that encouraged by the modular nature of A-level.

My interest in physical science and technology extends beyond school, and I like to read about recent developments in science and technology in the usual magazines (such as "New Scientist") and on web sites (such as "space.com"). I have also read a number of books on physics and mathematics, my favourite being "Six Easy Pieces" by Richard Feynman. Most recently, I have enjoyed reading about the work of Bernhard Riemann in John Derbyshire's "Prime Obsession".

In my spare time I enjoy keeping fit, principally through rowing. I have been a member of my local club for over five years now and help coach novices at the weekends. I have competed to a reasonably high level in both double and single sculls at events in the United Kingdom and in continental Europe. I also enjoy computing and programming and I have knowledge of a number of programming languages such as objective C and Java, and I hope to extend my programming skills during my time at university.
Maya
interested in the way this knowledge can improve our lives, and, as a consequence, hope one day to work alongside doctors, engineers, and other scientists in a medical environment. I have therefore arranged to shadow a medical physicist during the Easter holidays in order to learn more about what this would involve..

Sounds fascinating. Did you see all sorts of scanning machinery, and learn about imaging techniques.
Reply 294
Maya where are you going to university btw? Just out of interest would you say the AEA required much extra work? I'm going to ask my physics teachers about that sometime soon, i haven't heard of anyone else doing it at my 6th form though.
Reply 295
apple tree
Sounds fascinating. Did you see all sorts of scanning machinery, and learn about imaging techniques.

Yes it was great I to see lots of things i had only read about before, MRI was amazing.
Reply 296
Swinely
Maya where are you going to university btw? Just out of interest would you say the AEA required much extra work? I'm going to ask my physics teachers about that sometime soon, i haven't heard of anyone else doing it at my 6th form though.

I'm going to Bath to study mathematics with physics. The AEA isn't really any extra work, the questions are difficult synoptic questions that you should be able to answer from A-level knowledge. Some of the questions are quite fun though compared to A-level one, I really enjoyed doing it :smile:
Reply 297
Ah may see you at Bath if Oxford don't accept me! I'll definitely ask my physics teacher then, to be fair anything must be more fun than some of the lame questions in the A level course :P.

Okay he told me no one ever has at my sixth form and that 4 A levels should be enough :|
Reply 298
Hi, I know this is a long shot, but does anyone have the Edexcel specification guide from the OUP website for the textbook Advanced Physics? If so, please could you post it.

Thanks, NS.
Swinely
Ah may see you at Bath if Oxford don't accept me! I'll definitely ask my physics teacher then, to be fair anything must be more fun than some of the lame questions in the A level course :P.

Okay he told me no one ever has at my sixth form and that 4 A levels should be enough :|

ignore ur teach if u wanna give it a go give it a go, u aint got anything to lose.

Quick Reply

Latest