The Student Room Group

How safe really is London?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mrkingpenguin
What this guy said is pretty much correct.

Much safer than eastern European cities. Safer than New York. Safer than most Spanish/portugese cities. London is quite safe.

Do you have any evidence?
Original post by RollerBall
It's not so bad. Although I did get mugged on a main road, right outside Shoreditch station. It was 3am though...

Did they have a knife or sharp object?
Depends what area you go. Stay away from south or east london. Stonebridge and harlsden too. Just carry yourself well and you're good

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Secretnerd123
Depends what area you go. Stay away from south or east london. Stonebridge and harlsden too. Just carry yourself well and you're good

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bull****, almost every area has estates, even Chelsea has the Worlds End Estate which is pretty dangerous and in London you could get mugged in pretty much any area.
Reply 104
Original post by MancStudent098
Islington's pretty grim. Last week our local waitrose completely ran out of fairtrade organic oolong tea. Don't say you haven't been warned.

I find that utterly shocking.

I know Waitrose might be your regular dealer, but there are other places. Planet Organic in Essex Road does good product, although the price might have gone up. Just be careful when you go down there you don't get caught up in a turf war.
Original post by Clip
I find that utterly shocking.

I know Waitrose might be your regular dealer, but there are other places. Planet Organic in Essex Road does good product, although the price might have gone up. Just be careful when you go down there you don't get caught up in a turf war.

Or Ocean Food & Wine on the corner of Essex Road.
Reply 106
Top of that big wheel thing by the river in a pod with Japanese tourists.

Now thats what I call safe:smile:
Does anyone if areas such as Notting Hill and Kensington are safe?
Original post by leeladame
Does anyone if areas such as Notting Hill and Kensington are safe?

They're both extremely upmarket areas and will be generally a lot safer compared to other areas like Hackney, Brixton, Newham etc. That's no guarantee of low crime rates though (as someone mentioned above, you could get mugged anywhere in London). Just make sure you take the right precautions, don't walk alone late at night, keep your belongings locked up in a secure place etc. TBH I would feel a lot safer living in Notting Hill or Kensington, and that's after living in Enfield for 21 years (parts of which are very safe and some not so much).
London's perfectly fine, just dont be an idiot. You'll learn to be more streetwise at uni anyway. Just dont be a fool and have all your technology and jewellery out on display.
Reply 110
I am a international student from Taiwan, I've been in London for almost half a year. I would say that London is very unsafe, every day there are crimes happening (which I read from the news paper). Especially at night. Within this week, there were about 3 people got stabbed. People were injured severely and a 18 years-old teenager died (in front of their family) also a 15 years old got stabbed in school! In my personal experiences, I and my friends have already encountered 5 events in one and a half months which scared us. For example, I met a person on the tube who threatened and said that he kills Chinese! (well although I am "definitely not Chinese", but I don't know if he can specify different Asians). These made me afraid to go out when it gets dark, I just don't want to become the next victim.
London in generally fine in terms of crime. I've walked around London at night and I haven't had anything worse than a bunch of drunk guys shouting at me.

I would say stick to the main road, stay away from estates and don't take any alleyways in the dark.
Original post by YDK
I am a international student from Taiwan, I've been in London for almost half a year. I would say that London is very unsafe, every day there are crimes happening (which I read from the news paper). Especially at night. Within this week, there were about 3 people got stabbed. People were injured severely and a 18 years-old teenager died (in front of their family) also a 15 years old got stabbed in school! In my personal experiences, I and my friends have already encountered 5 events in one and a half months which scared us. For example, I met a person on the tube who threatened and said that he kills Chinese! (well although I am "definitely not Chinese", but I don't know if he can specify different Asians). These made me afraid to go out when it gets dark, I just don't want to become the next victim.

What part of London do you live in?
Original post by YDK

I'm sorry to read of your experiences.

Unfortunately there are bound to be crimes every day in a city as cosmopolitan and huge as London.

I suspect the person who made the threat you mention was mentally ill or if not was just joking.

I fear that there may indeed be an increasing number of disturbed people in London but I think you have been a bit unlucky as well.

However never forget that the main danger in a city like London is the traffic. And that most injuries occur in the home.

If you find it that scary to be here however then maybe it's not the place for you.
God I miss London so much. It's my home and I hope I'll be able to work there one day. :frown:
Reply 115
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
What part of London do you live in?

You may not believe it but I am in central London (Notting Hill Gate and Earls Court) Maybe I get picked on more because I am a dwarf?
This is a six year old thread but I’ll add to it. I’m a girl and I used to stay out really late into the night like 12am-3/4am hanging in Victoria Park and then walk home to Limehouse through Roman Road, Bow and Stepney quite regularly, like everyday and nothing ever happened. I also used to work in Marble Arch when I was in school in the evenings and I would take the train at 10.45 from Marble Arch to Mile End and then walk from Mile End to Limehouse for like 20 minutes alone at night while speaking on my iPhone and I never noticed anything weird. I usually got to Mile End around 11.15pm and I would get home just before 12am yet there were still people in Mile End. I have been to Whitechapel so many times in the evening and felt safe. My boyfriend used to stay out all night on foot in East London and often get drunk but nothing weird happened to him, he’s also never seen anything weird.

People are saying West and North London are safe but I hear of so many stabbings in areas people say are presumably safe. They’re not, because a man was stabbed to death like three years ago for his phone in West London and many others were attacked throughout the West part that same night.

I understand why people wouldn’t feel safe in Brixton, Peckham, Islington or Hackney. I had been to a strange part of Hackney once with a friend and we ran to the closest bus stop to get back as soon as we could.

I used to stay out on the streets or Bethnal Green, Stepney and Mile End with my boyfriend all the time and nothing ever happened. Touchwood nothing ever happens to any innocent person!

Yes most stabbings and attacks are usually gang related. I think as long as you don’t get into arguments, mind your own business, stay out of obviously dangerous zones you’ll be safe. Don’t flash your phone or jewellery too.

Since 2017 acid attacks and violent crime has risen in London and I hope we get someone to replace Sajid Khan and also the Tories so that something is done about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending