The Student Room Group

Got the knowledge but cant apply it!?

Hi guys so basically I'm really struggling with economics (Edexcel) Unit 3 so far. Not because of the content, most of which I know and understand (Except graphs... eek) but when i was doing a mock paper I just struggle to think of things to write and end up writing quite messy. Is anyone else having this problem? Unable to actually answer the question and get confused of when to apply what?
Reply 1
Original post by Rigster122
Hi guys so basically I'm really struggling with economics (Edexcel) Unit 3 so far. Not because of the content, most of which I know and understand (Except graphs... eek) but when i was doing a mock paper I just struggle to think of things to write and end up writing quite messy. Is anyone else having this problem? Unable to actually answer the question and get confused of when to apply what?

Practice with past papers. My advice would be to use the mark scheme to see which points are awarded. After you have looked through dozens, you'll realise where you pick up the marks.

Then, use the examiners reports. They generally have high/top marks answers in there for each of the questions, so use them to determine how much to write for each point which the mark scheme has.

Use both of these to write yourself out some model answers for each topic, or possible question. Once you are familiar with each aspect, it becomes easier to apply it to a case study. You will know what you need to write and thus what you are looking for.

Ensure that you take several minutes to carefully read and highlight the case study. Highlight any figures, statistics etc. so they are easily accessible when it comes to writing your answer.

The questions are very straightforward, they are just worded in a strange way. With practice you will be able to determine exactly what they want you to write.

Quick Reply