The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

@Jordan\ Youshould also add the solutions for the downing college one for more practice

http://www.dow.cam.ac.uk/documents/ta/Applications/Maths_test.pdf
Original post by FutureOxford3
@Jordan\ Youshould also add the solutions for the downing college one for more practice

Yeah, of course! I'll add it to the OP.
Original post by Zacken
Very much so, the questions test general maths and will be useful practice for any college including Oxford. :smile:

Oxford is not a college tho :P
Original post by Krollo
Two pleasingly different solutions. What maths is all about, perhaps

Posted from TSR Mobile

The final answer is correct but after spotting that pattern it has been assumed it holds for all n, I would prove it by induction then let n=1000.

I can't found who did the A one, but I can't find so maybe Krollo can make me find the solution-er.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by physicsmaths
The final answer is correct but after spotting that pattern it has been assumed it holds for all n, I would prove it by induction then let n=1000.

I can't found who did the A one, but I can't find so maybe Krollo can make me find the solution-er.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hence why I deleted it
Original post by Jordan\
Hence why I deleted it

I thought i just could not find it. Assume it holds for. K, show it holds for k+1 (by multiplying by A) and that's it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did that Z(root2) question on paper, I will write it up soon whilst I learn latex..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Did that Z(root2) question on paper, I will write it up soon whilst I learn latex..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pell equation!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Renzhi10122

Yep! Amazing stuff that is

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 89

We figured those were far too elementary to provide solutions for. You can check your answers with a quick WA computation.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
We figured those were far too elementary to provide solutions for. You can check yoir answers with a quick WA computation.

What is the answer to 5 and 6 then?
Reply 91
What is the answer to 5 and 6 then?

Don't have the paper with me, but the question is a straightforward sketch and calculus problem. You can check your answers using WA.

Six is admittedly hard, but it's not worth providing 8 solutions if we only really need it for 1 question.
Original post by Zacken
Don't have the paper with me, but the question is a straightforward sketch and calculus problem. You can check your answers using WA.

Six is admittedly hard, but it's not worth providing 8 solutions if we only really need it for 1 question.

Yea, the only one I can't do is number 6. I will just ask Jordan or physicsmath to help me then.
Original post by Krollo
Specimen 2, Q7

Hint

Spoiler

Solution

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

Um, didn't the question ask for 2^n+1 not a^n+1? Also, when a = 8 n =2 you get 65.
Original post by ForeignStudent34
Um, didn't the question ask for 2^n+1 not a^n+1? Also, when a = 8 n =2 you get 65.

Well, they tell you to look at a^n -1 first and see what you can notice, they then want you to notice a form of a^n+1
And then factor and see what you can see when a=2. I have not read through Krollos solution but i trust it is correct as his structure/idea looks fine imo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think in general they want to see 2^n+1=2^n-(-1)=(3)(some integer) if n is odd 2^n+1 is prime only when n=1 then do a similar thing for n is even, which krollo has done but to a greater depth.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Specimen Test 2, Question 5:

Hint:

Spoiler

Solution:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Downing Admissions Paper:
Question 2:
i)

Spoiler

ii)