The Student Room Group

Advice on what to do with my old Laptop needed!

Hey guys, I have got a new laptop as my other laptop (HP Pavilion g6 2012) is battered. The wi-fi connector is faulty and so sometimes disconnects from my wi-fi, and aesthetically it's not in the best condition - one key missing, plastic body broken and raised from the laptops core. Since this isn't in a re-salable condition shall I open it up and sell any parts I can, i.e. the i5 processor, RAM, HDD?

Thanks.
Original post by djibbo
Hey guys, I have got a new laptop as my other laptop (HP Pavilion g6 2012) is battered. The wi-fi connector is faulty and so sometimes disconnects from my wi-fi, and aesthetically it's not in the best condition - one key missing, plastic body broken and raised from the laptops core. Since this isn't in a re-salable condition shall I open it up and sell any parts I can, i.e. the i5 processor, RAM, HDD?

Thanks.

Hi,

Firstly, are you sure that you cannot fix this laptop? If you look online for your laptop's model number, you might be able to find the parts required to repair the laptop, thus giving you a secondary/backup laptop just in case. Keyboards will probably be readily available on sites such as eBay, lid covers will also be available, and you might be able to pick up a wi-fi card/connector as well. All you'll need to do is open the laptop up, fit the new parts, and you should be good to go.

Alternatively, if you don't want to try and fix your laptop, you could sell some of the parts, or (if they are compatible with your new laptop - you'll have to check) keep them as spares. I'd definitely keep the hard drive as a backup, or (if you buy a converter) as an external hard drive/secondary drive. Then sell the rest of the parts, or alternatively sell the laptop as spares or repair. As I said, most of the bits that you'll need to get the laptop fully working can be readily bought.

Hope that helps!
Reply 2
Thank you very much! I think I'm going to sell the parts as I don't have the time to fix it, nor do I think it is worth it in the sense that I won't fetch more for it, as also the fan is broken!

Original post by spotify95
Hi,

Firstly, are you sure that you cannot fix this laptop? If you look online for your laptop's model number, you might be able to find the parts required to repair the laptop, thus giving you a secondary/backup laptop just in case. Keyboards will probably be readily available on sites such as eBay, lid covers will also be available, and you might be able to pick up a wi-fi card/connector as well. All you'll need to do is open the laptop up, fit the new parts, and you should be good to go.

Alternatively, if you don't want to try and fix your laptop, you could sell some of the parts, or (if they are compatible with your new laptop - you'll have to check) keep them as spares. I'd definitely keep the hard drive as a backup, or (if you buy a converter) as an external hard drive/secondary drive. Then sell the rest of the parts, or alternatively sell the laptop as spares or repair. As I said, most of the bits that you'll need to get the laptop fully working can be readily bought.

Hope that helps!
Original post by djibbo
Thank you very much! I think I'm going to sell the parts as I don't have the time to fix it, nor do I think it is worth it in the sense that I won't fetch more for it, as also the fan is broken!

If the fan is broken as well, you'll probably need a new fan for it as well. Fans and heatsinks are available to buy - however, you're correct in the sense that since 4 components (Wi-Fi card, Keyboard, Plastic Lid and Fan) need replacing, it's probably just as easy to stick with your new laptop. You could sell the individual parts, in the sense that people will buy the parts in order to fix their laptops, or you could delete everything from the hard drive and sell the laptop as-is on eBay (or similar) as "for parts or not working", in the hope that someone else will replace the components mentioned above and get it working again.

No problem, glad to have given you some helpful advice :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending