The Student Room Group

Entry Requirments for studying dentistry????/

What A Level subjects do you need to take for dentistry? Any info much appreciated :biggrin:
Original post by 9091student
What A Level subjects do you need to take for dentistry? Any info much appreciated :biggrin:

Nearly all Dental schools need both Chemistry and Biology to A2 level. The third A level can be anything except General Studies or Critical Thinking. You need to have done a 4th AS level normally to grade B, again can not be General Studies or Critical Thinking. You will generally need all your A2s to grade A (standard offer AAA). You will need grade B minimum GCSE in English and Maths. Then grade C for your science - some unis have much higher GCSE requirements though (eg Birmingham) but that's the lowest I think. You will also need to complete a UKCAT or BMAT (or both) entry exam. And have lots of work experience and extra curricular things to put down.

Saying all that, that info is probably mostly out of date now?? Don't think ASs are even a thing anymore. It will be similar for the A2s I recon.
Just always check the university pages, they should have all the official information - some are slightly different.

SUMMARY - DO BIO AND CHEM!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Four A*s as a minimum.
Reply 3
Original post by hollyclaireee
Nearly all Dental schools need both Chemistry and Biology to A2 level. The third A level can be anything except General Studies or Critical Thinking. You need to have done a 4th AS level normally to grade B, again can not be General Studies or Critical Thinking. You will generally need all your A2s to grade A (standard offer AAA). You will need grade B minimum GCSE in English and Maths. Then grade C for your science - some unis have much higher GCSE requirements though (eg Birmingham) but that's the lowest I think. You will also need to complete a UKCAT or BMAT (or both) entry exam. And have lots of work experience and extra curricular things to put down.

Saying all that, that info is probably mostly out of date now?? Don't think ASs are even a thing anymore. It will be similar for the A2s I recon.
Just always check the university pages, they should have all the official information - some are slightly different.

SUMMARY - DO BIO AND CHEM!!

Thanks for the help.Do you know what kind of work experience i need??
Original post by 9091student
Thanks for the help.Do you know what kind of work experience i need??

From what I've gathered at open days they're more picky than medicine. They want specific work experience in a dental practice and won't value more general work experience (eg nursing home) nearly as highly. They want to see you've got a good idea of what the career involves so you're sure it's what you want to do. Try and get 10 days if you can. More is obviously great, but I only managed to find 5 (honestly it's so hard to find places, so start as early as possible) and I've got to the interview stage and it's not seemed to matter so far. It's how you can talk about what you've learnt in your work experience in your personal statement.

You should try and get at least a few days in a GDP, either NHS or private it doesn't really matter. But also work experience with orthodontists, dental technicians, hygienists etc all valued highly as well. Try your own dentist first - lot of places I went to turned me down as I wasn't one of their patients. Contacting by phone is the best way to go about it I think. Letters are often ignored!

Good luck!
I offer sessions to help students getting ready to prepare their application and students ready to prepare for interviews.

The advice and sessions I give are very useful and a it will give you are really strong foundation.

Find out more by messaging me and checking out my page.
https://www.facebook.com/DentalInterviewPrep/?ref=hl

For candidates who are unsure how to make their application stand out, this is also a great service as I can go through, step by step what to do, how to do it so that its a much smother process for you.

Regards.

Quick Reply

Latest