The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow

I've applied to Glasgow uni and it was originally as my "insurance" choice as a backup, as I think my first choice at this stage is Durham, and so far these are the only two universities I've gotten offers from (to study Geography) I was wondering however if someone could tell me a bit more about Glasgow uni and maybe what they think/thought of it if they study/studied there? I would appreciate a bit of insight before I write it off as my last choice!
Hi Alicia

I did my undergraduate in French/Psychology at Glasgow and am currently studying for a Masters in Psychology here too. I have absolutely loved my time at Glasgow uni!

Personally I would say a big plus has been the university's reputation, which really makes a difference for me to be able to say at conferences etc. that I'm at the University of Glasgow as it is very well respected and is known for high quality teaching and research. The campus is lovely, with some beautiful old buildings and green space with Kelvingrove Park and Museum right beside it. The city is excellent for students too, with great nightlife, gigs, comedy, culture, cafes (basically something for everyone) and the area the university is in (the West End) is a very popular desirable part of the city. I personally also loved the flexibility in my courses at Glasgow, as you will study two other subjects as well as Geography in your first year, which is interesting and can be good to have a broad range of knowledge/skills by graduation.

So you can tell that I love Glasgow University and I would highly recommend it to any new student! Let us know if we can answer any other questions about the university or life in Glasgow :smile:

Holly
Postgraduate rep
MSc Research Methods of Psychological Science
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
I was not only born and raised in Glasgow, but I study there too !

i absolutely love Glasgow as it has the best of both worlds in terms of a great academic record as well as an amazing student atmosphere.

The university is located in the best area of Glasgow and is surrounded by culture and heritage. There is so much to do in Glasgow in terms of sight seeing, shopping, activities etc.

Glaswegians are the nicest people in the UK in my opinion (obviously I might be biased hehe) and have a great sense of humour.

Hope this Helps !
It sounds like such a great place i've only really heard good things about it! Does it have much of a campus feel to it though? because sometimes some of the London unis I feel like they tend to get a bit lost in the city? As in its not really very much of one body or community of students its just people living in a city and attending lectures almost,
Thanks!
Original post by Alicia Marshall
It sounds like such a great place i've only really heard good things about it! Does it have much of a campus feel to it though? because sometimes some of the London unis I feel like they tend to get a bit lost in the city? As in its not really very much of one body or community of students its just people living in a city and attending lectures almost,
Thanks!

I would definitely say that there is a strong sense of community at Glasgow University.

Certainly with the main campus, there are always different student events, both during the day and at nights, and they really want to invite you in and feel part of the family.

Glasgow was always my first choice, as it is the best in Scotland for my degree course, but regardless of the academics, I always loved how welcoming Glasgow University was and i never felt intimidated by the jump from School to university.

I think it also depends on the course you study, and certainly with my course we are a fairly close year and we have all mostly come to know each other.

You are right to have these questions and worries, because at the end of the day, you will be living at wherever you choose for the next 4+ years of your life.

I am certainly glad that i chose Glasgow university as my place of study.

Hope this helps ! :smile:
Original post by Alicia Marshall
I've applied to Glasgow uni and it was originally as my "insurance" choice as a backup, as I think my first choice at this stage is Durham, and so far these are the only two universities I've gotten offers from (to study Geography) I was wondering however if someone could tell me a bit more about Glasgow uni and maybe what they think/thought of it if they study/studied there? I would appreciate a bit of insight before I write it off as my last choice!

As someone from Durham don't go to Durham, it's such a boring city.

I LOVE Glasgow uni! The university itself is the 4th oldest in the English speaking world and the campus looks like Hogwarts (something that Durham can not offer, most people think of the cathedral and the castle when they think of Durham but really you will end up getting dumped in Hatfield or Van M- concrete blobs) Geography is based in the main building, I got lost looking for a lecture once and ended up climbing up a spiral staircase in the Geography department haha. Also, another point of why Glasgow is better student city compared to my home town is that Glasgow feels like 2 cities, there is the city centre which has huge grand wine bars and towering designer stores (it's really posh don't let the stereotype put you off) as well as the style mile, loads of music venues and clubs. Then there's the west end of Glasgow where the uni is at, which is all cobbled lanes, with pubs and tea rooms and cute second hand book shops! It's very magical! Glasgow uni is on a hill, over looking Kelvingrove park too it's beautiful!

please feel free to ask me any questions about Durham or Glasgow :smile:
Original post by lime-jelly

I LOVE Glasgow uni! The university itself is the 4th oldest in the English speaking world and the campus looks like Hogwarts (something that Durham can not offer, most people think of the cathedral and the castle when they think of Durham but really you will end up getting dumped in Hatfield or Van M- concrete blobs) Geography is based in the main building, I got lost looking for a lecture once and ended up climbing up a spiral staircase in the Geography department haha. Also, another point of why Glasgow is better student city compared to my home town is that Glasgow feels like 2 cities, there is the city centre which has huge grand wine bars and towering designer stores (it's really posh don't let the stereotype put you off) as well as the style mile, loads of music venues and clubs. Then there's the west end of Glasgow where the uni is at, which is all cobbled lanes, with pubs and tea rooms and cute second hand book shops! It's very magical! Glasgow uni is on a hill, over looking Kelvingrove park too it's beautiful!

OOH EXTRA THING! At Durham and all English unis if you don't like your uni course you are screwed you have to either drop out or plough through for the next 3 years but at Glasgow for the first 2 years you can pick and choose different subjects e.g. you could have Geography as your main subject, then pick up earth sciences and German, then in second year continue with Geography and pick up environmental biology and maths! It's so flexible!
Original post by lime-jelly

That does sound amazing actually! What do you think about Edinburgh in that case? Do you know if its similar or not? I also applied there and St Andrews which I'm still deliberating just because of how isolated it seems! I think I may reconsider Durham a bit now...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending