The Student Room Group

Canadian Soc anyone?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I definitely don't say "aboot", and to be perfectly honest, I've never in my life heard anyone say that (I'm born and bred Canadian, and lived here since forever), except on TV when they try to make fun of Canadians. I think it must be something that is said in one specific region. It has been my life's mission to squash that rumour. I'm guilty of saying "Toronno" though. It's just easier.

I do say 'camp', instead of 'cottage'. It's a Northern Ontario thing. In the Muskoka region, everyone has a cottage. Up here, everyone has a camp. It's the exact same thing, just different term. I believe in BC they say something different again, like 'cabin'.

I'm leaving in two weeks for the UK - I'm really starting to get excited. I'm moving to Newcastle though, and EVERYONE on the planet has warned me about their "unique" accent. I figure I'll give myself a month to sort out what's really being said.
Reply 41
zanz_abar
I believe in BC they say something different again, like 'cabin'.

I'm leaving in two weeks for the UK - I'm really starting to get excited. I'm moving to Newcastle though, and EVERYONE on the planet has warned me about their "unique" accent. I figure I'll give myself a month to sort out what's really being said.

Yah they do say cabin!!

I think you should be ok with the geordie accent...most BCers could understand geordies who I met. I don't get some of the sayings:

"I got wronged by my mam" = I got told off by my mom

There were lots more, but I can't think of them right now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK92rcZW0OM - an american trying to get a Canadian to say 'aboot'
Reply 42
hey hey everyone. i'm half canadian, half english (lived in canada for 14 years) and going to medical school in england!!
Reply 43
whoo I love all these Canadians!
I'm not actually a Canuck myself (:frown: ) but I lived there for a year and I have Canadian family which is exciting.

Something else exciting is that there are now TIM HORTONS in the UK and Ireland...not many but they're popping up. I miss my hot smoothies, vanilla lattes and iced cappichino!
I wanna be leader I wanna be leader I wanna be leader I wanna be leader I wanna be leader I wanna be leader I wanna be leader

#excited#
Reply 45
dude!!! where are the timmy's in england?????!!!! i would drive for an ice capp quite far. although i did manage to crash my car into a wall today, so that doesn't look like it's going to be happening!
Reply 46
Well I'll be nearby you in Chester so you could stop by and pick me up in our quest for Timmy's.
I used to love the creamcheese bagels too....
Reply 47
I like the Timmy-Ho's, but it's sadly an American-owned company now. Which is why they're spreading like wildfire. Owned by the same people who have Wendy's restaurants. That's okay, only in Canada is a Coffee Shop named after a Hockey player.
Heh, I think I'll fit in quite nicely here. As the username, and signiture, suggest, I am a fully patriotic Canadian, living and (supposedly) studying here in the UK.

I'm also too stereotypically Canadian for my own good at times though. I say "eh?" a lot, I call people "hoser" and yes, I have a maple leaf tattoo!!

Can't wait till I finish at uni though, go out to Canada, get myself a nice apartment, and apply for the RCMP :smile:
Another Canadian here. :smile: Will be studying at the University of Reading this year.
Reply 50
Hi. I'm also a Canadian... stuck in a brit's body, Lol. I'm gonna move out to Canada, when I finish Uni, anyway I can (prob through the Au-pair/Live in Caregiver scheme) and eventually apply to the RCMP. :biggrin:
Rach87
Hi. I'm also a Canadian... stuck in a brit's body, Lol. I'm gonna move out to Canada, when I finish Uni, anyway I can (prob through the Au-pair/Live in Caregiver scheme) and eventually apply to the RCMP. :biggrin:

WOOO!!! Mantien Le Droit eh? :biggrin:
Reply 52
Miss Tink
whoo I love all these Canadians!
I'm not actually a Canuck myself (:frown: ) but I lived there for a year and I have Canadian family which is exciting.

Something else exciting is that there are now TIM HORTONS in the UK and Ireland...not many but they're popping up. I miss my hot smoothies, vanilla lattes and iced cappichino!

I wish there was one in Edinburgh.. I've only been here for a week but i'm craving timmy's already
Reply 53
The Canadian
WOOO!!! Mantien Le Droit eh? :biggrin:

Yep. :biggrin: I'm gonna learn french... just to improve my chances of getting in. :smile:
Reply 54
Rach87

I know someone who did that and ended up marrying a Canadian:smile:

We shall call ourselves 'adoptive canadians'.
I have a maple leaf tattoo, too...but it's a fake :frown:
:party:
I'm going to Vancouver tommorow!!

I shall be Canadian for a few days at least :smile:
Reply 56
ooo you'll love it!!
Rach87
Yep. :biggrin: I'm gonna learn french... just to improve my chances of getting in. :smile:

Personally, I won't bother learning French, cos you can chose not to go to anywhere where you need French. I'm going in with the advantage on the obstacle course :smile: The one thing I don't like about it though is having to lose all my lovely hair :frown: My hair is currently 14inches long, and I'll have to lop my pony tail off :frown:

Oh, and I thought I'd post a pic of my tattoo on here. I need to get it topped up soon as the yellow's fading. I'll go for a stronger colour on the top up methinks.

And yeah, you're gonna love Vancouver. It's amazing. Go to Granville Street to a place called "The Chop Shop" late at night and if there's guys round there, say you know "Johnny English". Oh, and by late at night, I'm talking about midnight here!! Also, another good place to go is English Bay and go canoeing out there :smile: Just watch out for the raccoons and skunks late at night.
Reply 58
A question for any Canadian students who have already applied through UCAS. Should I list the courses I'll be taking in semester 2 as well as semester 1?
Reply 59
Miss Tink
I know someone who did that and ended up marrying a Canadian:smile:

We shall call ourselves 'adoptive canadians'.
I have a maple leaf tattoo, too...but it's a fake :frown:

Hehe, kool. Adoptive Canadians. :smile: I'm gonna get a canadian flag tattoo, but I'm gonna wait till I get my permenant residency... my sort of woohoo! thing for when I finally make it. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending