The Student Room Group

Being made to travel to interview

Hi I've applied for a job in Aberdeen and have been asked to go to Newcastle for a face to face interview (I've already had a telephone and Skype interview). This is just a part time weekend job to help through uni. From what the recruiter told me the manager can't be bothered to make the journey and wants me to do it instead. I have to spend an 8 and a half hours travelling for a 30 minute interview with no guarantee of a job. The day away is also unpaid.
I have uni that day and they are not changing the day - can I tell them that it's not feasible for me to attend? Or just accept the interview.
I do feel they are taking the piss asking to do this for a part time job.
If it's just a part time weekend job then surely you can find something closer? Also if they're expecting you to do that for such a small 'reward' I doubt they'd treat their staff very well to be honest
Reply 2
Original post by Blondie987
If it's just a part time weekend job then surely you can find something closer? Also if they're expecting you to do that for such a small 'reward' I doubt they'd treat their staff very well to be honest

The job is in Aberdeen just they want to interview me in Newcastle cause the managers can't be bothered to make the journey to interview in Aberdeen (they were going to interview in Aberdeen but changed their mind).
Original post by asoftersin
The job is in Aberdeen just they want to interview me in Newcastle cause the managers can't be bothered to make the journey to interview in Aberdeen (they were going to interview in Aberdeen but changed their mind).

I just meant it seems like a big deal to have to travel all that way if it is just a weekend job rather than a life altering career, most interviewers would want to interview you in the job location itself, like I said it seems more trouble than it's worth but it's entirely up to you
Original post by asoftersin
Hi I've applied for a job in Aberdeen and have been asked to go to Newcastle for a face to face interview (I've already had a telephone and Skype interview). This is just a part time weekend job to help through uni. From what the recruiter told me the manager can't be bothered to make the journey and wants me to do it instead. I have to spend an 8 and a half hours travelling for a 30 minute interview with no guarantee of a job. The day away is also unpaid.
I have uni that day and they are not changing the day - can I tell them that it's not feasible for me to attend? Or just accept the interview.
I do feel they are taking the piss asking to do this for a part time job.

Just go to the interview. It's not that big of a deal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest