The Student Room Group

Canadian Soc anyone?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
The Canadian
Personally, I won't bother learning French, cos you can chose not to go to anywhere where you need French. I'm going in with the advantage on the obstacle course :smile: The one thing I don't like about it though is having to lose all my lovely hair :frown: My hair is currently 14inches long, and I'll have to lop my pony tail off :frown:

Oh, and I thought I'd post a pic of my tattoo on here. I need to get it topped up soon as the yellow's fading. I'll go for a stronger colour on the top up methinks.

I know that you don't need french and that you can just go to english speaking posts but I wanna do everything I can to improve my chances of getting in. Apparently over 8000 people apply each year to get into the RCMP and less that 2000 get in. So the competition's tough.

You have an advantage on the obstacle course? How so?

Bummer about having to lose your hair. I don't have to worry about that - my hair's only about 1 - 2 inches long. Lol. I like your tat. It's very kool. :smile:
Have you ever heard of a sport called Parkour? It is basically the flowing movement of going from one point to another as quickly, easily and efficiently as possible. I can run up to a 10 or 11 foot high wall, take one step up it and grab onto the top of the wall, and then climb over it :smile: I can also vault over fences pretty quickly and so far, my biggest drop is about 3 metres onto concrete or 4 metres onto grass.

Basically, I can look at a wall or a fence and I can see a path going over it nice and quickly. You should see about taking it up. It's very hard work though, and you need to have quite a bit of guts with some of the stuff (the rooftop to rooftop stuff mainly).

And yes, the competition is very tough, but there are many advantages that can be had. The weights is the bit I'm not looking forward too, though I'm steadily building up my muscles. Managed 2 mins of arm curls with each arm with 5kg weights earlier.

Then again, there is a reason why the RCMP are known as the best police force in the world.

Don't forget though, if you're based in the UK at the moment, you have the advantage of not having any family ties in Canada, so you can be based anywhere really. Always good. I've already got my three areas decided that I'm gonna try for when I get in - Nova Scotia, British Columbia and the Yukon :smile:
Reply 62
Parkour? Never heard of it before. I've done obstacle courses before though with cadets. I'll have to look up this sport of yours. I've joined the lacrosse team at uni to try and build up my speed, the canoeing club to build by upper body strength and the fencing club to improve my hand eye co-ordination. I've got gym membership too so that I can work on my fitness when I'm not playing sports. It sure doesn't hurt that I'm in Aber and it's just one big hill either. :biggrin:

I really don't care where I get posted although I would prefer one of the smaller villages / towns up north. The further north the better - I hate the heat we keep getting. Lol.
Ahh, yeah, I love the northern areas of Canada. If they're in the Arctic circle, the better :biggrin:

There's actually one part of Canada further north than magnetic north I believe.

Damn, you sound like you're ready to go in already!! I just snowboard and do parkour. Might join the trampolining club at uni, but that's just to piss around.

And I play pool to improve my hand eye co-ordination, but then again, I'm a student, who drinks alot, and goes to rock clubs. I've *got* to play pool!! LOL

I've only been to a gym a few times, but that's just for the stair master, and that's always just cos I'm passing by. You're really going for this full blast aren't you.

This is a great parkour video by the way. Now you can see why it'll be great for the RCMP. Police in Sheffield don't bother chasing us because they know they can't catch us. If I can do this this well, then I'll be able to catch any crook :smile: http://www.youtube.com/v/R0oY85AGFrg
Reply 64
Jeez!! That's some awesome stuff there! Can you really do all of that stuff?

I'm nowhere near ready to go in yet. That's why I need to do all of that stuff. I'm really into it because my family don't believe that I'll make it. They think that I'm only interested in joining the RCMP because of some tv show. I wanted to emigrate before that (but to the states) and I wanted to join a police force before too... the show just made me want to know more about Canada and the RCMP and it was after I learnt more that I really decided that this was what I wanna do.

I don't drink so when I go into pubs it's usually to play pool. I'm not very good at it and people can usually beat me even when they're pissed but that's beside the point. Lol.
Reply 65
no accent questions from me, i just wanted to join the group1 lol!
i have relatives in canada and have visited there myself and its brill. gotta ask this here tho...is anyone interested in stargate or atlantis?, coz its made in vancouver.
Reply 66
I love Stargate! I never knew it was made in Vancouver though. I knew a few of the actors in it are Canadian but I always assumed it was made in the States (probably coz it's about the US military I guess). I just learnt a really kool fact... thanks a million sammyk. :biggrin:
Does anyone here go to Toronto or Hamilton uni?
Reply 68
Nope, sorry. Smallville also has some filming done in Vancouver...the school used is actually Vancouver techincal college I think.
Miss Tink
Nope, sorry. Smallville also has some filming done in Vancouver...the school used is actually Vancouver techincal college I think.

Actually, UBC is used for some of Smallville (or so they said on the tour :smile:)

Anyways, I loved Vancouver (& the accent!!)
Reply 70
Oooh, a Canadian Soc. I will go join.

I've noticed that whenever someone has a Southern English accent, people here think they're Australian. Don't know why.

Difficulty discerning accents must be bred into us. I'm not too bad with British accents, but I'm horrible with European accents. It's embarrassing.

The difference between accents in central Canada and the Northern States is really subtle, I find. I really notice difference in vocabulary when I travel through New York, and when you actually talk to Americans you tend to notice it more than on TV, for example.

I can tell when someone's from the Maritimes, or usually if they're from the West Coast, but other than that I don't see much variation in accent at all. It's so strange.

I know a lot about UofT, for the poster who asked. Most of my friends are there, and I was supposed to be there this year. And by Hamilton I'm assuming you mean McMaster. :smile:
Reply 71
P.S. I think that there should be a faction of the Canadian Society devoted to Tim Horton's appreciation.
Reply 72
YES! I love Timmies.
It is VTC for smallville, you can see it in the titles. They also use UBC too
justfarhan
Does anyone here go to Toronto or Hamilton uni?
:laugh: You wish!

I did a better job of passing myself off as a Canadian exchange student at NSW central coast last month :p:

That said I still wanna move back there, it actually rocked majorly. Oh well, some day, some time...
Rach87
Jeez!! That's some awesome stuff there! Can you really do all of that stuff?

I'm nowhere near ready to go in yet. That's why I need to do all of that stuff. I'm really into it because my family don't believe that I'll make it. They think that I'm only interested in joining the RCMP because of some tv show. I wanted to emigrate before that (but to the states) and I wanted to join a police force before too... the show just made me want to know more about Canada and the RCMP and it was after I learnt more that I really decided that this was what I wanna do.

I don't drink so when I go into pubs it's usually to play pool. I'm not very good at it and people can usually beat me even when they're pissed but that's beside the point. Lol.

Not all of it, but I've only been doing it for a month or so now. I can do some of the fast fluid movements of kicking off of one wall and going over the other. I can also get over about a 10foot wall just running up it and grabbing onto the top.

Heh, the TV show rocked though. I've wanted to do so many things, and I can if I want to, but it was when I started getting into forensics that I wanted to join the British police as a SOCO (Scene Of Crime Officer), but I thought I'd much rather be in Canada, so I looked into the RCMP.

I've already applied for jobs in Canada though ready in case I move out there before I finish my degree. So far I have truck driver (when it pays 50cents a kilometer, and a normal run is about 300k minimum, it does pay quite nicely). I also have snowboard instructor (where I can earn $440 / week) and of course, my final career possibility, criminal. LOL
Reply 75
Yay candian soc :cool: I am Egyptian and I have the Canadian passport... so consider me a Canadian citizen :cool: I'll be going to uni of toronto next year inshallah. Can i join?!
Reply 76
heyyy..... i was reading the posts and u said something about someone being based in the uk and joining the canadaian police? i kinda want 2 join the canadian/us police....but thought i couldnt as a british person...... was i wrong?
sabria
heyyy..... i was reading the posts and u said something about someone being based in the uk and joining the canadaian police? i kinda want 2 join the canadian/us police....but thought i couldnt as a british person...... was i wrong?

Check the requirements on the RCMP website http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca I however do not believe you can join the RCMP if you're not a Canadian citizen.

I'm a Canadian citizen, therefore I can join, but I do live in the UK, you are correct.
Reply 78
I have a question concerning obtaining funding to complete my education in the UK. I am a Canadian citizen and currently living in Canada. Can you please tell me if there are anyways I can fund my education.

Thanks a lot.
Reply 79
The Canadian
Check the requirements on the RCMP website http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca I however do not believe you can join the RCMP if you're not a Canadian citizen.

I'm a Canadian citizen, therefore I can join, but I do live in the UK, you are correct.

You're right. You do have to be a canadian citizen to join the RCMP. You only need a work permit to join the smaller, more local Canadian police forces though. That's gonna be my hardest challenge... becoming a Canadian citizen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending