The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

The Portsmouth FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Hiya!

yes it's normal to be asked about your GCSE's grades and proof. I'm in my second year now and last year they asked for photocopies to be sent it to prove you got the grades you said you did on your UCAS. Also as far as I'm aware yes your college/sixth form can change your reference I remember in my year it happening to someone and their offer being withdrawn but i would talk to your personal tutor about this before results and confirmation in August.

xx
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Yep I had to send in copies of all my qualifications a couple of months back...took me a while to dig them all up too. :p:
Has anyone recieved a timetable for their first year?
Reply 83
I think I'm going to end up going Portsmouth this year. I got sent a little piece of card, with 4 different accommodation options on, in the post the other day. I think the Langstone flats would be best my first choice but I was wondering how far it is going to be from my lectures. I'm terribly late for everything in life so I don't want to be too far away. I'll be studying Computer Science if that makes any differents. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Reply 84
Original post by o22
I think I'm going to end up going Portsmouth this year. I got sent a little piece of card, with 4 different accommodation options on, in the post the other day. I think the Langstone flats would be best my first choice but I was wondering how far it is going to be from my lectures. I'm terribly late for everything in life so I don't want to be too far away. I'll be studying Computer Science if that makes any differents. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

I'm planning to go to Langstone too, I've been told throughout it's about 20 mins on the bus from the Uni buildings.
Reply 85
Original post by o22

For Comp Sci and based on your "terribly late" for everything issue.. James Watson would be the best bet as it's literally only a few roads away from where all your lectures will take place. So takes like 5 minutes or less to get to uni in the mornings...langstone is great (so ive heard)...but you do need a bus to get there and back etc.
Reply 86
Langstone is a nice area but it really is out of reach of anything worth doing. Nothing is close to it. The main beaches, gunwarf, down town shops/clubs, albert road. All these things are ages away. If your in guildhall accomm its a little easier to be spontaneous because your no more than 15mins away from everything
Reply 87
Original post by conniebee
I'm planning to go to Langstone too, I've been told throughout it's about 20 mins on the bus from the Uni buildings.

The Langstone bus runs up until just gone midnight to the uni buildings and takes like 15 mins, maybe 20.

Walking is a bit of a mish ... Albert road is about 10/15 mins, Commerical road around 30 and gunwharf around 40. Asda around 20.

It is a little bit out of the way but when you have the bus it doesnt make any difference and you do have an awesome time!

PS. the 3am cab home only costs around £5 - EASILY worth it!
Reply 88
Original post by bean1e
The Langstone bus runs up until just gone midnight to the uni buildings and takes like 15 mins, maybe 20.

Walking is a bit of a mish ... Albert road is about 10/15 mins, Commerical road around 30 and gunwharf around 40. Asda around 20.

It is a little bit out of the way but when you have the bus it doesnt make any difference and you do have an awesome time!

PS. the 3am cab home only costs around £5 - EASILY worth it!

I know. I was there last year :wink:
If I get an offer I'll probably firm portsmouth. What accomodation is nearest to the school or earth and environmental science?
Reply 90
In in James Watson halls this year. Anyone one who has previously lived in halls know what they provide??? As in kitchen appliances and other things. Wondering if I need an iron, kettle toaster etc etc.
Reply 91
It says the course starts on the 16th September, which is the start of freshers week. Is this when we enroll and get our ID cards etc ?
Reply 92
Hi!

I'm an Italian student and I got a conditional offer for Creative and Media Writing. I'm thinking about choosing Portsmouth as my firm. I'm sure a lot of people have already asked, but the threads are endless, so I'm just going to ask again (sorry guys XD): which is the best kind of accommodation? I'd like to know pros and cons of both halls and private housing in terms of distance from uni facilities and city buildings (supermarkets, clubs, places to visit, etc.), prices, comfort (as in, are halls/private houses nice? What is already there and what should you bring with you? Etc.), etc.

The most detailed you can be, the better, because I'd like to get an idea even before going to the Open Day (besides, being from Italy, I'm not even 100% sure I'll be able to go at all).

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 93
Hi,
I'm current 2nd year student in Portsmouth Uni and I would suggest don't choose it as the firm.The university overall is not bad but it is very RASIST and for all of my assignment I have got much lower marks as I have expected.I have put a lot of effort and time in each work believe me(((
If I have a chance I would not study here...
Original post by ALICE777
Hi,
I'm current 2nd year student in Portsmouth Uni and I would suggest don't choose it as the firm.The university overall is not bad but it is very RASIST and for all of my assignment I have got much lower marks as I have expected.I have put a lot of effort and time in each work believe me(((
If I have a chance I would not study here...

Proof?
Reply 95
I have had problems sending my ucas application, are the chances of getting an offer from Portsmouth lower if I apply in January.
Original post by Lord1
I have had problems sending my ucas application, are the chances of getting an offer from Portsmouth lower if I apply in January.

No I wouldn't worry at all. I applied the day before it all shut for christmas and the new year so my application basically wasn't looked at until yesterday and I recieved an unconditional offer last night! They're busy but Portsmouth aren't too bad with responding, I think it depends more on what course you've applied for and how competitive it is.

Hope this helps and the best of luck with your application :smile:
Hi!!
I got a conditional offer, international relations and languages but on the website I can't find the full list with all the modules of each year of the course. Where can I find it?
Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest